Forum    News    Downloads    Saved Games

PSPBrew.com Excusive Interview: Exophase (author of gpsp)

<<

DarkPacMan77

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Thanks given: 13 times

Thanks received: 18 times

Post Sun May 27, 2007 7:24 pm

PSPBrew.com Excusive Interview: Exophase (author of gpsp)

DarkPacMan77: So what is your actual name?

Exophase: Gilead.

DarkPacMan77: And your age?

Exophase: 23.

DarkPacMan77: When did you start coding, and more importantly, why?

Exophase: Around 10 years ago. I can't really explain it, but I wanted to be a programmer long before that. This was before I even had a computer. I didn't really know what programming was, but I wanted to know how computers worked and I wanted to know how to make them.

DarkPacMan77: So is it fair to say that you're coding history is self-taught?

Exophase: To some extent. I learned a lot from other people and classes eventually helped too.

DarkPacMan77: Along the way, what people or resources in particular have helped you get to where you are now?

Exophase: Various people I've known from places online, mainly. There have been a lot of people in the emulation community who have been helpful, in particular some emu coders.

DarkPacMan77: Is it true that you are collaborating with StrmnNrmn? - and if so, how beneficial has that been?

Exophase: To be honest I rarely get to talk to him. I've tried but he isn't really around, at least nowhere I am. I give him various ideas sometimes but he hasn't really gotten back on most of them.

DarkPacMan77: That's quite funny, if you don't mind me saying so lol

Exophase: Well he's a busy guy, and I think he prefers to work alone for the most part.

DarkPacMan77: I think so too. Beyond that though, have you met any hardships, particularly during the creation of gpsp?

Exophase: Sure. Development itself has never really been a walk in the park. Just getting it off the ground wasn't very easy for me... I'm not exactly driven to start big projects. And more than anything I've had to go through dozens of hours of debugging in an effort to get various games working.

DarkPacMan77: Well after hearing that, what has been your PRIMARY goal during the gpsp project?

Exophase: My number one goal was to make a good number of GBA games play full-speed on PSP. Speed came before everything else.

DarkPacMan77: What about compatibility? And what issues are you currently having with compatibility?

Exophase: Compatibility was a second priority. I wasn't interested in making an emulator that could play a lot of games but at reduced speeds. Currently? There's not many problems. The only popular game I can think of that has a compatibility issue is music in Golden Sun 2; others I have pinned down (like Final Fantasy 6). There are some I know of that don't work but they're not exactly on everyone's wish list. Of course, I still intend to find out why.

DarkPacMan77: How have third party versions of your emulator affected the development of gpsp?

Exophase: Directly, not a lot. They haven't really benefited me in any serious way. Indirectly, they have somewhat deterred my interest in working on it.

DarkPacMan77: Have you ever SERIOUSLY considered giving up the project?

Exophase: Not really. I tend to see things out to a high level of maturation, although gpSP for PSP has come a decent way.

DarkPacMan77: Many people have complained about features that are "missing" in gpsp. What are your plans for future development? Are there any features that are in store for the future?

Exophase: Nothing that people complain about really, and the only thing that I know that people seriously whine for these days is multiplayer. It's not terribly likely to happen though. At any rate, features have always been THIRD priority before speed and compatibility. There are still things I can do in both areas, so that's where I will continue to focus.

DarkPacMan77: Is it entirely accurate to rule out the possibility of multiplayer?

Exophase: I wouldn't say it's impossible.

DarkPacMan77: Winding down here, what emulator do you feel has the best potential on the psp?

Exophase: Well, most emulators for PSP are ports. And have never really had much potential to begin with because someone ports them, then that's basically it. So of course I'll have to say something like Daedalus.

DarkPacMan77: Do you have faith that the Daedalus project will see a bright future?

Exophase: No idea. All I know is that StrmnNrmn is a good coder, no one knows the extent to which N64 emulation can reach on PSP.

DarkPacMan77: Many say it is possible after seeing that Playstation 1 is possible... even though the systems are different, has that changed how you think at all about Daedalus?

Exophase: Nope, I always thought PS1 was very possible, if done by the right people.

DarkPacMan77: Well let's hope that StrmnNrmn is the "right person" for the Nintendo 64 emulation ;) Anyways, last but not least...as I'm nearly forced to ask...Will gpsp ever see an official version 1.0 ?

Exophase: Probably one day.

DarkPacMan77: Well I'll leave it at that. Thank you for agreeing to be interviewed for pspbrew.com, and keep up the good work!

Exophase: Thanks.
Last edited by DarkPacMan77 on Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
D3ViLsAdvocate wrote:Try shaking the salt harder onto your tongue.
<<

DarkPacMan77

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Post Mon May 28, 2007 3:47 pm

Long ago I had remembered pspupdates doing interviews of the various coders. I haven't heard much from Exophase as far as an interview goes, let alone first-hand details about his gpsp emulator - that is, until I found his blog. So, I decided to revamp the idea of interviewing a coder. The interview went smooth and when all was said and done, I figured it would be a great way to bring some exciting news to the pspbrew, and the ever-slowing homebrew community as a whole.

Do you guys like this idea? Should I try to seek out other coders for interviews? Feedback is always appreciated.

-DarkPacMan77-
<<

Supashay91

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 0

Thanks received: 1

Post Mon May 28, 2007 8:49 pm

ha thats cool

but I found this interesting:

DarkPacMan77:...Will gpsp ever see an official version 1.0 ?

Exophase: Probably one day.

lol thats funny.
PS3 Friend Name:Supashay91
Passion,Joy,Sorrow,Pain and tears.
They will all be pabulum of your life.
<<

kingcoke

Experienced Brewer
Experienced Brewer

Thanks received: 0

Post Mon May 28, 2007 9:46 pm

Yea I like the idea, I am really interested in others that bring to us great emulators, homebrew appz, etc.
<<

DarkPacMan77

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Post Mon May 28, 2007 9:51 pm

lol shay

Yea, Exophase is a cool guy. Pretty funny and straightforward. Since this experience was good, I just may try to contact another coder in the future.... ;) I'm surprised more people haven't read/ posted in this thread yet though.

-DarkPacMan77-
<<

Supashay91

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks received: 1

Post Tue May 29, 2007 5:02 pm

yeah, jokes aside.

Great job, love reading it.
PS3 Friend Name:Supashay91
Passion,Joy,Sorrow,Pain and tears.
They will all be pabulum of your life.
<<

kingcoke

Experienced Brewer
Experienced Brewer

Post Tue May 29, 2007 6:29 pm

The questions are well put together, how did you get these questions? did you google previous interviews and leech from there or did you sit there in word typing down questions.
<<

the_end_is_near

Brewery Master
Brewery Master

Post Tue May 29, 2007 7:07 pm

I had always hoped to see some interviews here, nice job. now i would like to see Dark Alex or booster... but those are pretty high hopes... nice read any and once again nice job
<<

FireFoxx

Brewery Master
Brewery Master

Post Tue May 29, 2007 7:59 pm

Exophase is my hero :) I hope he eventually releases v 1.0

DPM: I noticed this made psp-hacks :)
<<

DarkPacMan77

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Post Tue May 29, 2007 8:23 pm

kingcoke wrote:The questions are well put together, how did you get these questions? did you google previous interviews and leech from there or did you sit there in word typing down questions.

The questions are my own. I didn't look around for other questions from other interviews. In fact, I made a list of like... 7 questions prior to the interview (in notepad) that were vital and that I could branch off of during the interview - the most of it I just winged it.

FireFoxx wrote:DPM: I noticed this made psp-hacks :)

You bet your a$$ it did ;)

-DarkPacMan77-
<<

FireFoxx

Brewery Master
Brewery Master

Post Wed May 30, 2007 6:28 pm

you just made QJ.net too, your famous! :lol:
<<

kingcoke

Experienced Brewer
Experienced Brewer

Post Wed May 30, 2007 6:43 pm

Lucky bastard

<<

DarkPacMan77

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Post Wed May 30, 2007 7:48 pm

Dayum... word is getting around. I wonder if my interview is on any other websites... and furthermore, I wonder if any future interviews would be just as successful? - never know...

-DarkPacMan77-
<<

the_end_is_near

Brewery Master
Brewery Master

Post Wed May 30, 2007 8:05 pm

wow our little site is getting recognized wicked awsome job DP.
<<

Shmittyz

Young Brewer

Post Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:06 pm

I'm always last to catch things on here.. not having alot of time lol... But I liked it, and I think that with the PSX emu that GPSP is the best emu on psp. I've messed with alot, I've not used any n64 emu's for the lack of buttons on psp lol. I don't like toying with controls I already know pretty well in a different fashion.
Next

Return to PSP Help