running wii iso on sd card

<<

ArmageddonAngel

Young Brewer

Thanks given: 0

Thanks received: 0

Post Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:28 pm

running wii iso on sd card

I'm wondering if you can "indeed" run a downloaded Wii Iso inthe homebrew channel. If so, how?
I've done a little research online and the only answers I get back in a response to this question is "Hypothetically" and "You should be able to..I think."

Looking for a more definate answer, and a walk through if possible. After all - some of us have to wait for our paydays till we can go out and buy DVD-R disks. Specially me.

-thanks.
"The World Ends When I Say So."
<<

brentbizzle

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Thanks received: 15 times

Post Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:42 pm

As of now, there is no way to run an ISO. It has to be a physical disc. I did read some info on some new hardware mod that would allow ISO play, but do not know if the info is valid.
Founding father of the Wiibrew Packgen.
About 2 noob posts away from going ape sh*t
<<

ArmageddonAngel

Young Brewer

Post Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:43 pm

Thanks for the research on this. I have a follow up question. i know that these following disk types work well for burning the games: Imation-R 16x, SONY-R 16x, TDK+R 16x, TDK-R 16x, Verbatim-R 16x, SONY-RW 2x, Mitsubishi-RW 2x.

But my question is - what's the easiest way to get the ISO you "downloaded" onto a dvd-r disk, and how do you launch it via your wii? I have been recently updated from 2.2u to 3.1u due to SSBB updating the system (luckily i was on 2.2 and it only bumped me to 3.1u). I have HBC (of course) and the back-up loaded channel (which when launched shows "BackupLauncher Gamma - Wiigator) this is Backup Launcher 0.3 gamma, IOS249 (as it states on the bottom of the screen). My system had been downgraded for use of NTSC american. I didn't say region-free. So i'm wondering how I play downloaded USA Wii Games, and when i'm downloading torrents how do I know that there american and not some spanish or japanese game?

Sorry if the questions are confusing. let me know if you need me to clarify myself a little more.

-ArmageddonAngel
<<

brentbizzle

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Post Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:54 pm

Usually releases will say somewhere, either in the file name or with another file that its NTSC... Most releases are NTSC or PAL unless its a game not released in those regions.

Honestly, I know nothing about the backup loader and its region free capabilities. I have a modchip, so no reason to dabble in that stuff. Maybe one of these days if I get bored I'll crack open my Wii and mess around with this 'softmod' stuff, but until then you'll have to get backup loader specific questions answered by someone else.

Really, media doesn't have that much of an effect on playability. I ALWAYS buy the cheapest DVD-R's I can, especially since electronics are super expensive here in Japan compared to the States. I used to pay $25 for 100 DVD-R's, now I'm paying $30 for 50.

For getting the ISO on to disc, just use imgburn... free program. Nice, easy...

About your Menu version... up to system version 3.2, everything works fine. I have 3.2 and will stay on 3.2 unless I have to. 3.3 is where things start breaking. I would get to 3.2 and just keep it there until you have to go further.

By the way, you should check out a utility called starfall. You can install a system menu hack that will tell your Wii to flat out ignore the update portion of games, whether they're original or copies. That way you don't need to even worry about using brick blocker or anything on your Wii isos.
<<

ArmageddonAngel

Young Brewer

Post Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:25 pm

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Homebrew_apps/Starfall#Download

there not saying how you install it - other than with the twilight hack or HBC. Also I can't really understand how this would stop any updates of games - considering it's the data portion of the game checking with the software of the wii. So unless starfall has some sort of coding that places a block somewhere inbetween the checking - then it would make sense.

As for Japan - I've done some travelling between tokyo and osaka. Prices were reasonable on electronic goods last summer but may have changed since then of course.
<<

brentbizzle

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Post Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:08 pm

Things have never been priced reasonably... I lived here for a year in 05, and I've been here since Sep 07 this time. Japanese consumers get raped by prices here. I actually had to buy a TV from the states and mail it here. Would have cost about $1000 to get a 32in LCD here...

Anyway, back on topic,

Starfall is an application that is just ran through the homebrew channel or booted with the twilight hack. A lot of the stuff the Wii does is built into the system menu code. I don't know HOW it does what it does, but if you have the update ignore hack installed, when a game is inserted it completely ignores the update and the game appears in the disc channel. For example, Animal Crossing has the 3.3 system update on it. I keep my Wii at 3.2, and with the update block installed the on-game update doesn't even appear... it just boots the game.
<<

ArmageddonAngel

Young Brewer

Post Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:15 pm

watched a youtube video about starfall but it didn't explain how to use it or how to install. still stuck here.
<<

brentbizzle

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Post Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:47 pm

starfall is run just like any other homebrew. put it in the correct folder structure used by the homebrew channel and boot it through the hbc.
<<

ArmageddonAngel

Young Brewer

Post Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:04 pm

I'll guess /root /wad or /app.

more time to waste - great.
<<

brentbizzle

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Post Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:15 pm

its super easy...

SDcard/apps/starfall/boot.dol
<<

ArmageddonAngel

Young Brewer

Post Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:25 pm

okay so got that going. Now - how do you operate the homebrew program called "DVDDumper"? Seems to me that it can copy the iso of a retail bought game (or rental game) and make the iso of the game so you can burn the data easier on your computer.
<<

brentbizzle

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Post Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:43 pm

DVDDumper requires you to have Waninkoko's cIOS installed. I don't know a whole lot about it. You can google for more information.

Return to Wii Help & Tutorials