Forum    News    Downloads    Saved Games

Is HomeBrew compatible with brand-new Wiis?

<<

arcad

Thanks given: 0

Thanks received: 0

Post Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:01 am

Is HomeBrew compatible with brand-new Wiis?

Hello all!

I guess before I ask my question, I should explain my situation lol. :D

I have softmodded my own Wii (U.S.) with many different homebrews, and I have bought a relative a brand-new Wii (also U.S.) (Bought Nov. 23, 2009, AKA yesterday), and he would like me to put homebrew on it. I have everything he needs (External Hard Drive, SD Card, programs, etc.), but I was needing to see if it was safe first! If it is not, I can return the new Wii for a 'more-useful' used Wii.

My question (although it is apparent by now) is:

Are Brand-New Wiis safe to Softmod?

Thanks to all for the help!

EDIT: I forgot to mention the major problem!! I cannot actually open the box for the wii, as that would void its return.
<<

Alex Finlay

Brewery Master
Brewery Master

Thanks given: 1

Thanks received: 2 times

Post Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:42 am

Simple Answer: Yes
Long Answer: Yes however not as hackable as a old wii.
Being redone
<<

BlackSheep11777

Brewer
Brewer

Post Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:18 am

To be more specific, you can hack new Wii's to run homebrew. You can't install bootmii to run under boot2 if the Wii comes with system menu 4.2. Newer Wiis can have a different DVD chip that can't read movies off of DVDs.

For specific details about what's changed with system menu 4.2, I've found this guide to be invaluable:
http://sites.google.com/site/completesg/
<<

Alex Finlay

Brewery Master
Brewery Master

Post Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:44 am

BlackSheep11777 wrote:To be more specific, you can hack new Wii's to run homebrew. You can't install bootmii to run under boot2 if the Wii comes with system menu 4.2. Newer Wiis can have a different DVD chip that can't read movies off of DVDs.

For specific details about what's changed with system menu 4.2, I've found this guide to be invaluable:
http://sites.google.com/site/completesg/

Installing Bootmii matters on if boot1 is bugged or not, also if the wii has sys menu 4+ when u buy it, it definatly has boot2v4+
Being redone
<<

arcad

Post Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:43 pm

Thanks so much for your help.

The main homebrew I wanted to add were USB Loader GX, Wad Manager, and Gecko OS. Will there be a problem with any of these? Also, will I need any extra type of anti-bricking measures, since it is new?

Finally, will a downgrader work, if I do manage to get things working?
<<

BlackSheep11777

Brewer
Brewer

Post Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:08 pm

Those three should be fine. You can do some downgrading to restore older bugs, but you don't want to downgrade too much (i.e. delete some newer IOS) because it could brick your Wii. The guide link I posted earlier has more info.
<<

Alex Finlay

Brewery Master
Brewery Master

Post Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:55 pm

BlackSheep11777 wrote:Those three should be fine. You can do some downgrading to restore older bugs, but you don't want to downgrade too much (i.e. delete some newer IOS) because it could brick your Wii. The guide link I posted earlier has more info.

to add to that install preloader, DO NOT UNINSTALL YOUR SYSTEM MENU IOS.
preloader works on your sys menu IOS, REPEAT DO NOT UNINSTALL YOUR SYSTEM MENU IOS.
if you do that without bootmii boot2 you will not be able to fix your wii, unless you have a nand flasher *Doubtfull*
so yea if u cant install bootmii preloader is good.
Being redone

Return to Wii Help & Tutorials