Forum    News    Downloads    Saved Games

Playing burned Wii DVD-R image disks

<<

aviator5ds

Thanks given: 0

Thanks received: 0

Post Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:36 pm

Playing burned Wii DVD-R image disks

I've done some looking into this, and have found a few resources that mentioned WAD files as well as GeckoOS. These guides were WAY out of date though. I was wondering if anybody could point me to a somewhat current tutorial so that I can set up a Homebrew app that allows me to play burned wii disks.

I am fairly new to this, but I do have the latest Homebrew installed and know about the directories and whatnot on my SD card. I have not done any version updates on my console to avoid complications. I'm not sure what version my firmware is at the moment or how to find that. Thanks for the help!
<<

Alex Finlay

Brewery Master
Brewery Master

Thanks given: 1

Thanks received: 2 times

Post Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:23 pm

Being redone
<<

aviator5ds

Post Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:38 pm

I guess that is a simple solution. I could just hook up my external hard drive next to my wii and run games off of there. My only questions is... isn't USB slow compared to DVD? I would think maybe I'd have issues with games running slower than normal?
<<

Alex Finlay

Brewery Master
Brewery Master

Post Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:40 pm

Usb is faster i believe actualy. many games ive run are at the same or *you can't tell* faster.
I also belive their in the grape vine somewhere is a list of actual speeds
Being redone
<<

BlackSheep11777

Brewer
Brewer

Post Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:54 am

Backup discs only spin at 3x speeds instead of the 6x max for the DVD drive. I'm not sure why that is, but the end result is that games on backup discs typically have longer load times and sometimes cut scenes skip. USB loading is, as Alex said, much faster in general. (Unless you have an especially slow USB drive) I also find it to be a tremendous amount of fun, but that's just me. In case you don't have a compatible USB device, or don't want to have to go through the set up process, you can find info on backup disc loaders here:

http://sites.google.com/site/completesg/backup-launchers

I've used NeoGamma with good success. Some newer games didn't work, which is what prompted me to explore the USB option.
<<

Alex Finlay

Brewery Master
Brewery Master

Post Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:22 am

BlackSheep11777 wrote:Backup discs only spin at 3x speeds instead of the 6x max for the DVD drive. I'm not sure why that is, but the end result is that games on backup discs typically have longer load times and sometimes cut scenes skip. USB loading is, as Alex said, much faster in general. (Unless you have an especially slow USB drive) I also find it to be a tremendous amount of fun, but that's just me. In case you don't have a compatible USB device, or don't want to have to go through the set up process, you can find info on backup disc loaders here:

http://sites.google.com/site/completesg/backup-launchers

I've used NeoGamma with good success. Some newer games didn't work, which is what prompted me to explore the USB option.

basicly expanding on what i said hahaha thanks :-)
well with more and more loaders usb drives that dont have compatibility are falling.
Even alot of 2TB hardrives have compatibility. There is a compatibility list:
http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/index.php? ... ility_List
Being redone

Return to Wii Help & Tutorials