<<

Figz

Super Brewer
Super Brewer

Thanks given: 0

Thanks received: 2 times

Post Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:03 pm

If you have a 20gb model.

You can't connect to a wifi connection. However I have been using a little device that works perfectly. Here is a link to it on about. It is cheap and connects really fast.

About Link
<<

AdventWolf

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 5 times

Thanks received: 10 times

Post Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:58 pm

There is a 20GB model PS3?? How much does it cost, $200?
<<

Figz

Super Brewer
Super Brewer

Post Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:26 pm

They quit making them now. It was one of the first models to come out. I so got ripped off. I payed $1500 for the 20gb system, 3 controllers, 6 games, Talladega Nights on Blueray, 1 year warranty from gamestop, and strategy guides for like 3 of the games. I was going to sell it on ebay but $ony screwed me and said they weren't making enough...then they pulled more systems out of their butt. Long story short though you don't have wifi or the ps2 controller ports and a few other things. I am just waiting to pawn this one off on someone else now and use that money to get a 80gb model.
<<

AdventWolf

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 5 times

Thanks received: 10 times

Post Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:39 pm

Ah ok, i figured it was an older model since its not out now.
Well $300 for the system.
3 controllers- $130 maybe
6 PS3 games? dam thats about $330 at least
Talladega Nights was probably $30 on blu-ray at the time.
1 year warranty for that big of a purchase would be expensive, not sure maybe $50?
3 strategy guides $20 each - $60.
So in all thats.. *pulls out the calculator*.. $900.

I guess since it just came out the stuff would be of more value, the PS3 and the controllers. But that is quite the bundle.
<<

Figz

Super Brewer
Super Brewer

Post Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:40 pm

Just wish I would have waited a bit now....Things always look better in hindsight.
<<

blackzmage

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks received: 0

Post Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:37 am

Figz wrote:They quit making them now. It was one of the first models to come out. I so got ripped off. I payed $1500 for the 20gb system, 3 controllers, 6 games, Talladega Nights on Blueray, 1 year warranty from gamestop, and strategy guides for like 3 of the games. I was going to sell it on ebay but $ony screwed me and said they weren't making enough...then they pulled more systems out of their butt. Long story short though you don't have wifi or the ps2 controller ports and a few other things. I am just waiting to pawn this one off on someone else now and use that money to get a 80gb model.

wow that sucks.
<<

Figz

Super Brewer
Super Brewer

Post Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:21 am

I have taken some time to research the wifi capabilites of the PS3. This is what I have found. Keep in mind the adapter he is using is not the same one I use but it may have similar results.

Before I get into the meat of my topic, I want to first say I've had my PS3 since launch and have no issue with the wireless NIC when it comes to on-line gaming. The upload (UL) performance is right on with my ISP service level.

The issue I have (and many others from my PSU and Google searches) is with the download (DL) speeds of the PS3's wireless card. I'm a network admin by profession and have run numerous tests to validate my duress with regards to this matter. But I’m not looking to rehash that and throw all kinds of raw data at you. I will only say that the DL speed of my PS3 is approximately 1/3 (at best) the speed of other wireless devices on my LAN (using ‘g’) while the upload speeds are perfect.

As we all know, up until this summer there wasn’t a lot of great stuff to download from the store. The only download I had to look forward too was the occasional system update, and at roughly 100MB, each update only takes me 10-15 minutes to download wirelessly; so I could live with it. However, as of late, there have been a lot of good add-ons for games, as well as, decent demos. The other day I fired up Motorstorm and it took me nearly an hour to get to about 40-45% completed, I cancelled out. I then connected my PS3 with at patch cable to my LAN, switched the connection from wireless to wired and the update took about 13 minutes.

Based on my past results this was nothing new, only validation of prior tests. So I finally decided to run some CAT 6 cables from my computer room to three other rooms in my house. I have all the tools, hardware and know how so other then time, that was the only thing I was wasting. As I was looking for some RJ-45 jacks I came across two old wireless gaming adapters (linksys wireless-G). I decided to connect one to the PS3 and see how it performed. I set the gaming adapter exactly the same as the PS3 wireless NIC (WEP, channel, etc.) It worked GREAT. My PS store downloads were extremely fast (>8Mbps) and when testing the download speeds from various websites the DL speeds were right in line with everything else on my network.

Quick summary:
Downloads (Speakeasy, PC Pitstop, DSL reports, etc.)
PS3 wireless: 1.6 - 2.0Mbps
PS3 using wireless gaming adapter: 12 - 14.7Mbps
PS store DLs
PS3 wireless:
>>>>>>>>(best) 4 sec per 1MB = 2Mbps
>>>>>>>>(avg) 6 sec per 1MB = 1.33Mbps
>>>>>>>>(worst) 10 sec per 1MB = .8Mbps
PS3 using wireless gaming adapter: < 1 sec per 1MB = >8Mbps

The results I received from using the gaming adapter were just as good as my wired connection.

I’m hoping that the inferior performance of the PS3 wireless is due to either bad drivers or firmware versus cheap hardware. The other source of interference could be the blue tooth piconet inside the PS3 as it also runs on the 2.4GHz frequency.

So it actually might be faster if you just download the PS3 updates to your computer then move them to the PS3 yourself. I know I hate how long it takes to perform a system update on it.

Return to PS3 Help