<<

brentbizzle

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Thanks given: 0

Thanks received: 15 times

Post Thu May 28, 2009 4:12 pm

Emulators on Yellow Dog Linux

First let me say that this tutorial is not complete and won't get you through to the end... yet. As of now I do not have emulators installed on my PS3. Haven't had time to complete the process. What you will find here though is a step by step process of how I got linux installed, configured, and what programs, patches, tweaks and fixes I have and will use to get everything up and running. To ensure that you get the most information and detail, this tutorial will be a constant work in progress as I update you on MY progress. And since I am writing this from work, you will get small updates posted while I sit at my desk not doing any work :lol: . So sit back and enjoy the ride my friends.

The tutorial will be broken up in the following sections (so far):

Before you start
Preparing the PS3
Installing YDL (Yellow Dog Linux)
Setting up Wireless (optional)
Connecting the PS3 Controller Through Bluetooth (optional)
Adding the PS3Bodega Repo

----------------------------------------------------------------
Before you start

Requirements:
YDL on a DVD
USB drive
USB keyboard and mouse
Internet connection
HDTV

Note: Of course you can install using a standard definition TV, but you will be confined to a text-only install. You can find more information about a text only install here but this tutorial won't support a non-HDTV install. Besides, why the hell do you have a PS3 and not a HDTV?

Preparing the PS3

I'm sure no one here has a virgin PS3, and you've got some data you want to keep. In the process of installing it will require a drive reformat, so we need to back up that data.

Requirements:
USB drive FAT formatted

Note: You can use a thumb drive or a hard drive, but it must be FAT formatted since the PS3 cannot read typical NTFS formatted drives used by windows machines. When using window's built in format utility, it will only let you format partitions up to 32 GB in size. There are 3rd party utilities that will allow you to format, but for ease I just used Windows 7's built in function for format a 32 GB partition of my 40GB hard drive.

Step 1: Gotta backup that data! Plug in your USB drive then go to Settings > System Settings > Backup Utility and choose 'Backu'p. The PS3 should recognize the USB drive and will warn you if there is not enough space on the drive. Select the proper drive to send the data to.

Note: For the sake of time, I deleted all my game demos before I did a backup, essentially only backing up my personal files and game saves. Not only will this greatly reduce backup time, but will also reduce the need for a large spare drive for your backup. Mine required about 17GB so keep this in mind!

Step 2: Watch TV, a movie, go do something cause the backup is going to take a while!

Step 3: Ok, data is backed up, now it's time to prepare the hard drive. We need to format it, but create a 2nd partition to install YDL (Yellow Dog Linux) to. Go to Settings > System Settings > Format Utility select 'Format Hard Disk'. Of course, agree and select 'Yes', but we are going to select 'Custom'. YDL doesn't need more than 10GB, so select 'Allot 10GB to the Other OS' which will give YDL 10GB and the rest goes to your PS3 for data. Finally, select 'Quick Format' because your PS3 isn't working for the CIA.

Installing YDL

Your PS3 is ready and now we need to get YDL on there.

Requirements:
YDL DVD
USB keyboard and mouse

Step 1: Insert the DVD. Then head to Settings > System Settings > Install Other OS. Your PS3 should find the correct files on the DVD, mainly a file titled 'otheros.bld'. Select that file and this will tell the PS3 to boot that file to get into YDL.

Step 2: Now we need the YDL files on the PS3. If it didn't auto-boot the installer go to Settings > System Settings > Default System > Other OS to get into it. A lot of stuff is going to scroll on the screen, but eventually at the end it will say 'kboot:'. If you haven't already plugged in at least the keyboard do so now.

Step 3: Tell YDL what video mode to use. You have 3 options, 720p, 1080i, and 1080p. Type the following for the install option you would like to use:

'install_ps3_1080p' for 1080p
'install_ps3_1080i' for 1080i
'install_ps3_720p' for 720p

Then hit enter.

Step 4: YDL will enter the installer application Anaconda. This will setup and install YDL. Follow the onscreen directions and give it the information it needs. Here is some brief info for each section.

Language & Keyboard Selection
Pretty self explanatory. Select what language you want Linux to be in and what language you intend to type in.

Partition Drive
If this is the first time installing Linux on your PS3, you will be warned, “The partition table on this device ps3da was unreadable...”. This is normal. Select “Yes” to proceed. Go ahead and select 'Automatic Partitioning', and then select 'Remove all Linux partitions'. If you have already installed Linux, this will delete that installation.

Don't worry, Linux cannot touch the main partition with all your game data on it, so there is no worry about deleting all that during this process.

Network Configuration
Only mess with this if you know what you are doing. For basic users you won't need to touch this.

Root Password
This is where you will create the admin password, necessary for many steps in this process. Make sure you remember what it is!

Package Selection
For basic users don't worry about this. I didn't mess with it.

Dependency Check
The installer will check for package dependencies. This will take 3-4 minutes to complete.

Step 5: Installation is finished! Select Reboot and remove the DVD

Step 6: Your first boot will take you through a few setup items. I'll walk you through these as well.

License Agreement
Of course accept this. Who reads these things anyway?

Date and Time
Self explanatory. Choose your correct region.

YDL.net Username and Password
Only need to worry about this if you purchase a YDL.net enhanced account. I didn't, and it isn't necessary.

System User
Here, you can create user accounts SEPARATE from the admin account that was setup when you made the root password back in step 4. For me, I opted NOT to create another account. It's only me using the PS3, nor am I worried about someone messing around with my Linux install. So I have no need for any user accounts. Plus, always being signed in as the admin saves you steps when modifying stuff.

Sound Setup
Make sure your sound cable are connected and you can test the sound.

That's it! YDL is installed and ready to roll.

Note: The admin account is called 'root' so when logging in as admin use 'root' as your user name as well as the root password for the admin password.

Before you do anything, log in as root (admin) if you haven't already. Makes everything MUCH easier.

Wired LAN will be working out of the box, but to get wireless working there are a few steps you'll have to take. Here they are.

Step 1: Start wicd manager (Applications --> Internet --> Wicd Network Manager (Network Manager))

Step 2: Choose your wireless access point from the list of networks and click the triangle next to the access point name.

Step 3: Check Automatically connect to this network.

Step 4: Click Advanced Settings.

Step 5: In the resultant Advanced Settings dialog box, check Use Encryption.

Step 6: Select the appropriate encryption type from the pull down menu.

Step 7: Enter your access point key in the Key field.

Step 8: Click OK to close the Advanced Settings dialog box.

Step 9: Click Connect.

More than likely you will be stuck at obtaining IP and it won't connect. Here are a couple things to do to get it working.

Step 1: Download this file and extract it to the desktop.

Step 2: Backup your stock wnettools.py file by opening up terminal and typing

cd /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/wicd
cp wnettools.py wnettools.py.backup

Step 3: Now we will copy over the file we downloaded. In terminal type

cp ~/Desktop/wnettools.py /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/wicd

Step 4: Accept the overwrite, then type 'reboot' in terminal.

If it went like mine, this fix subsequently caused wicd to crash every time you open it. Here is a fix for that.

Step 1: Launch the Terminal and enter

nano /etc/wicd/manager-settings.conf

Step 2: Change 'signal_display_type = False' to 'signal_display_type = 0'

Step 3: Then Save and Exit the editor:

CTRL-X [ENTER]
(y)es to save
(y)es to exit

Step 4: You may then quit the Terminal program from the File menu and reboot your computer from the YDL menu.

Connecting the PS3 Controller Through Bluetooth (optional)

This will pair the controller with Linux to be used as a joypad. Even though it connects, all 4 lights will continue to blink as if it isn't paired, but it is. For use with the emulators you will have to configure each one to use the joypad. This just makes it available.

Step 1: Open up terminal and stop hidd service:

service hidd stop

It should read back "Shutting down hidd: [ OK ]"

Step 2: Start hidd service again with these options:

hidd --server --nocheck -n

Step 3: Now press the PS button on your Sixaxis / Dualshock 3 -- you can pair up to two controllers. Expected result should look similar to this:

hidd[8284]: Bluetooth HID daemon
hidd[8284]: New HID device 00:16:FE:C9:79:A8 (Sony Computer Entertainment Wireless Controller)

Last edited by Anonymous on Fri May 29, 2009 9:18 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Founding father of the Wiibrew Packgen.
About 2 noob posts away from going ape sh*t
<<

Devil May Cry

Experienced Brewer
Experienced Brewer

Thanks received: 0

Post Thu May 28, 2009 9:03 pm

Interesting! I'll have to check this out eventually. ATM, I'm not willing to go through this trouble for emus I can run elsewhere. Maybe when we get some BD Java or games on the HDD working, I'll give it a shot.
<<

brentbizzle

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Post Fri May 29, 2009 6:46 am

The main reason i'm doing this is because all my other consoles have been sent back home to the states and i'm moving to Australia. With only my psp capable of emulation I thought about installing emulators on my pc. Then I remembered, Linux on ps3! I love the dualshock controllers, and it would be awesome to use with the emulators. So I started on this quest, which by the way I was playing a bit of super mario kart earlier. Tomorrow I should have some free time to wrap up the tutorial although might not get to formatting it like I usually do... That might come later. But, if you are interested then this tutorial will take you every step of the way, including the errors that I ran into and how to fix them!
<<

AdventWolf

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 5 times

Thanks received: 10 times

Post Fri May 29, 2009 3:27 pm

I guess you have gotten the PS3 controller working smooth on the Emulators?
I know people sometimes have had trouble with that.

You can find more info about emulators and stuff for the PS3 here, but it is a site based off of ubuntu linux for ps3.
<<

brentbizzle

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Post Fri May 29, 2009 6:40 pm

I have found sites with plenty of information. My tutorial is meant to consolidate all of it in one place. I have snes9x working fine with the Dualshock controller, but so far that's the only emulator I have installed. Next up is Xe which emulates a whole host of systems, but from what I've read it's difficult to get that working with the dualshock. When/if I do though all those steps will be posted right here.

Return to PS3 Help