<<

Figz

Super Brewer
Super Brewer

Thanks given: 0

Thanks received: 2 times

Post Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:56 am

Yellow Dog Linux

Here is the mirror to download the YDL iso. This is a legal download mirror.

My advice is to scroll to the bottom and find the newest version that has "PS3" in the link.
Currently the latest version is yellowdog-5.0.1-phoenix-20070511-PS3.iso

YDL Download Mirror

Edit 11/27:
Well I installed YDL on the PS3...I have to say it wasn't that hard but did take a little while. I haven't had a chance to play with it to much yet but so far I like it. It even comes with GIMP as one of the pre-installed packages...for all you graphics guys. I did notice one thing that was kind of funny...It didn't support my Microsoft mouse, I had to use my Logitech one. Again I will report back with new details on this as I find more.

Edit 11/28:
Ok I played with Linux all day and really don't understand how to a thing with it. I couldn't even get Java installed. Anyways I will leave this thread open if anybody else, maybe who is more familiar with Linux, wants to tackle it. I have all the files you need so just let me know.
<<

Shmittyz

Young Brewer

Thanks received: 0

Post Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:18 am

Hey Figz I have YDL on my PS3 as well.. There are alot of things you can do with it. Linux is just a really complicated OS, it's all open and developmental.. thats partly why it's free. I still haven't found much really worth having yet... cept it's easier to transfer files. My next idea is to see if it will push some lower spec'd pc games. The thing that worries me the most, is getting them to run without checking for GPU drivers... Unless, I can re-code an nVidia driver to search the ps3 gpu, and show up to the app as as nvidia rather then ps3 hardware.... Dunno... not sure if it could handle the emulation and the game together accually... I dunno only time will tell!
I wanna be a rockstar!
<<

BKFraiders7

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Location: On COD:BO2 iPhone User:5 Mac User: Macbook Pro Mtn Lion

Thanks given: 13 times

Thanks received: 31 times

Post Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:44 pm

Maybe u can try that on a 360 as well...??? Mostly because Windows=PC and Xbox. U may be on to something.......
Watch me stream on MIXER or follow on Youtube at ChA0TiCxDR3AMS

Image Image
<<

nakilla

Post Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:52 pm

Im freakin stoked about the possibilities. im going to get linux onthere and then try a windows xp kernal ive seen it done on u tube and I want to set it up so that my default os is windows.. i gotta get hdmi adn a keyboard and mouse thats the hard part haha
<<

Figz

Super Brewer
Super Brewer

Post Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:52 pm

Please let us know if you are successful and if you are try to make a note of your steps so you can post a tutorial here for the other members.
<<

BoogerKing

Brewer
Brewer

Post Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:39 pm

Explain when after I burn the iso to a disc.
Do I then insert it into the ps3 after the hd was partition?
Also I heard you must have a mouse and keyboard too, correct?
And what resolution should I have my tv on at the time? 1080p?
Im confused as to what and how to install this, please explain! Thanks!
<<

nakilla

Post Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:26 pm

yes you should partition off 10g of memory to the other os,, then insert disc. make sure that the disk is in dvd format because that is all that the ps3 runs.. also you need a key board to enter prompt and a mouse to use the linux os once its running. and you also need the hdmi cables.. the resoulution of the tv doesnt quite matter its just that the ps3 wont outputdata to non hdcp conpliant moniter.. confusing? here is a link that might confuse you more http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/pa-linuxps3-1/
<<

Figz

Super Brewer
Super Brewer

Post Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:46 pm

If you are still having problems let us know exactly where you problem is and I will try to walk you through what I can.

Return to PlayStation 3