<<

AdventWolf

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 5 times

Thanks received: 10 times

Post Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:22 pm

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

I bought it right when it came out, I beat it in a few days. I wish games were longer >_<. It was definitely worth it though, the graphics are great and the story is magnificent! If you haven't bought it, then I would urge you to do so. MGS4 received perfect scores on several gaming websites.
Just an overlook of the game..

Story ---------------------------- 10
Replay Value ------------------- 10
Graphics ------------------------ 10
Gameplay/Control ------------- 10
Weapons ------------------------ 10!!

Story

If you haven't played any previous MGS games, you might be a little confused at first, but a full play through the game and watching all the cutscenes should fill you in dramatically. The game has consistent cut scenes, some 30-70 minutes long or so. Some people may not like that, but I prefer a good story :D.

Basically you are playing as Solid Snake, who is aging rapidly because of the FOXDIE virus planted in him. You control him throughout the game from the Middle East, Europe, South America, and back to Shadow Moses Island, then Outer Haven. But following that, there is maybe an hour and a half worth of footage that sums up the game and fills in SO many gaps.

The main plot is the PMCs (Private Military Companies) are fighting endless proxy wars around the world against Local Militia - which has instigated the 'War Economy'. This means that if war would end over night, the economy would go into chaos. Liquid Ocelot controls the 5 major PMC groups and is planning an insurrection to take over the world. - Snake must stop him.
You can ally yourself with the Local Militia if you help them attack the PMCs, but be careful. The militia will see you too as an enemy, until you kill a few PMCs to show them you are on their side. You can also help them out by giving them items, and sometimes they will hand you something in return. Allying yourself with the militia will be extremely advantageous in your journey, seeing as they always spawn in the area where you start, and they are fighting in the same direction you need to go.

Replay Value

You can play the game on 5 different difficulty modes:

Liquid Easy
Naked Normal
Solid Normal
Big Boss Hard
The Boss Extreme (Unlocked after you beat the game once)

You can either play the game stealthily, evading all enemies and not being spotted once.
Or you could be a killing machine and kill all enemies.
Or you could be an assassin and sneak up on all your enemies and get them in a choke hold, or slit their throats.
Or could try to collect all items and weapons.

I beat the game on Solid Normal all the way through, just killing and using some stealth, but now I am trying to complete the game with 0 alerts which will unlock the stealth camouflage which will practically make you invisible to enemies.

Graphics

The best graphics I have seen in a game so far, at some points the developers slacked on occasional background textures on buildings, but about everything else is crisp. The soldiers, weapons, scenery, and cut scene action is 10/10.

Gameplay/Control

Refer to Replay Value!
Imo MGS4 has better gameplay than #3. I like the camera angles and the ability to play in 3rd/1st person.
You can easily control Snake to crouch, crawl, roll, sidestep, climb, and sneak about. Much better control than most games.
A new feature to the MGS series is the 'OctoCamo'. This is a muscle body suit that blends in with your surroundings. The suit will change colors when you are laying on the ground still for a couple of seconds, or if you are standing, or crouching against a wall. This is a much appreciated update, which doesn't require you to manually change your camouflage consistently with new environments. The FaceCamo isn't initially unlocked, but it can be unlocked later in the game. It can add an easy 10-14% camouflage rating to your rating. It helps greatly when your rating goes from 85% to 99%.

Weapons

There are about 70 or so different weapons, I know I have collected 70 so far. You can find all the weapons throughout the levels either hidden in shacks or behind buildings, or picking them off of stunned or dead soldiers.
There are several different sniper rifles, assault rifles, a tremendous arsenal of spec ops pistols, a few sub machine guns, a few light machine guns, high powered rocket launchers, and other various explosive weapons and miscellaneous (Dirty Magazines to distract an enemies eye :P).
In addition to all these weapons, you can customize the majority of them by adding a higher power scope, a suppressor, a laser, a simple red dot scope, or add an anesthetic to your pistols to put enemy soldiers to sleep.
I adore the weapon controls in this game, they are fantastic!
You can either use auto-lock or manual control, I prefer the manual control myself so my view doesn't keep pulling away! I used the manual control throughout my first go and I completely forgot about it! But it might be favorable when playing stealthily. Err maybe the other way around, you decide.

One of the biggest improvements in this game is the new, fancy Drebin System!!! During the beginning parts of the game, you meet a weapons launderer named Drebin, he works with you throughout the game and even pulls you out of some tight spots. He can unlock guns for you (since in the game, most weapons are ID-Locked meaning only the one person can use the gun). Drebin unlocks weapons for you and sells you ammo and various weapons and items. When you pick up guns that you already own, Drebin automatically purchases them from you and you get immediate Drebin points, that can be used to buy the weapons and items from him. The most expensive item being 5 Mil Drebin points? - The Stealth Camouflage. You can also purchase weapon customization items such as suppressors and anesthetics, and gun scopes, however, rations or other healing items are not for sale.

Overall: 10

Definitely a 10, this game is different from most games, but can fair in comparison to the famous Splinter Cell games.
It sold 1.3 million copies in its first day, and 70k PS3 console bundles were sold. Endless Dualshock 3 controllers were sold as well, I'm not sure how much better D3 is compared to the PS2 Dualshock. I just used that with the PS2->PS3 controller converter and it was fine. The Music and soundtrack fits well with the game. However, there is an 'iPOD' addon where you can listent to different songs you collect in-game, and listen to them in-game. You will be able to download songs in the future and more podcasts about the game in the Main Menu under 'Extras'.
For a more complete review of the game or some cheats refer to these places..

Wikipedia
IGN Video Review
GameFAQs

Refer to the Online play Here.
Last edited by AdventWolf on Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
<<

8-bit_ninja

Super Brewer
Super Brewer

Thanks given: 0

Thanks received: 0

Post Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:29 am

So, what was your end-game ranking? I got Hawk, on Solid Normal.
This is a sig. You may think that there is something to it, but in fact it is just an ordinary sig.
<<

AdventWolf

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:25 am

I got Panther :).
It says something like killed many a man, rarely continued, but spotted frequently.

Right now I am going for:

Stealth Camo: 0 alerts

Altair costume: 50+ knife kills and CQC holds each

Eagle: 150+ Headshots

Crocodile: 400+ kills

Frog: 200+ rolls

Octopus: 0 alerts

Wolf: 0 continues and no rations, regains, or noodles used

And beat all the beats by depleting their stamina, which will give you their facemasks.
<<

Steeler12

Brewery Master
Brewery Master

Post Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:29 am

this is an amazing game
Steeler12
<<

AdventWolf

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:05 pm

Sure is, I love the Drebin system. Where are you at now?
<<

Pliskin

Experienced Brewer
Experienced Brewer

Post Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:09 pm

Good review man and all I got as my animal was Eagle.
<<

AdventWolf

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:50 pm

Thanks, I worked hard on it 8).

Return to PS3 Games