Forum    News    Downloads    Saved Games

Official Religion Debate Thread

What faith do you practice, or would most closely associate your beliefs with?

Christianity
48%
Buddhism
2%
Hinduism
2%
Judaism
2%
Agnosticism / Atheism
25%
Other
5%
None or Undecided
8%
I'm not sure
8%

Total votes : 60
<<

kLine

Brewer
Brewer

Thanks given: 0

Thanks received: 0

Post Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:28 am

a soul is a made up thing by humans because we have enough intelligence to conjure up things like that, so we try and make it seem like there is something going on other than just our body being a body. thinking that people are different so they must have a soul that embodies those personalities and traits, but its just each of our specific brains doing what it does.
<<

8-bit_ninja

Super Brewer
Super Brewer

Post Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:34 pm

A soul is any living thing's guiding energy. Physically described as ectoplasm, and the reason all bodies lose a small amount of weight upon death.
This is a sig. You may think that there is something to it, but in fact it is just an ordinary sig.
<<

que13x

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 1

Thanks received: 6 times

Post Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:42 pm

I did not know anything about loosing weight when you die.

Anyhow I agree with your energy analogy. Since energy can not be destroyed but only converted, then our spirit (as energy) must persist for eternity. Right?
The programmers you will one day be looking to hire are the ones reading the tech news sites right now.

And they will remember...

~George Hotz @ $ony
<<

8-bit_ninja

Super Brewer
Super Brewer

Post Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:44 pm

I don't remember the number, but a dead person instantly loses a small amount of weight, or so I've read. That idea could also explain reincarnation.
This is a sig. You may think that there is something to it, but in fact it is just an ordinary sig.
<<

que13x

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:01 pm

My feeble mind can not come up with an explanation that supports reincarnation AND destiny.

Though I like the I idea of reincarnation, I do not like the idea of destiny. However, if there were no destiny how could anyone claim to be able to predict or see the future?

I know peering into the future is possible just like I know the soul can linger about for a limited time after death. What I do not know is how to explain both of these things together. Well there is one way but then that would mean that we really aren't making our own choices like we think we are.

OMG that is complicated!
The programmers you will one day be looking to hire are the ones reading the tech news sites right now.

~George Hotz @ $ony
<<

DracoDarco

Super Brewer
Super Brewer

Post Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:06 pm

A soul is the last 2 parts of the human genome
<<

farquezy

Brewery Master
Brewery Master

Post Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:07 pm

man i hate when you start thinking about this kind of stuff
its so annoying because you'll never know the answer...
<<

8-bit_ninja

Super Brewer
Super Brewer

Post Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:10 pm

All things happen as a result of other things occuring or existing. In that way, all things are meant to happen because existance happened. I guess a psychic or prophet looks at examples and can predict the future by working out what something or someone will do from actions acted upon them. Destiny does not fully exist, as we can make our own decisions, but those decisions are influenced by experience and environment, making destiny partially viable. If that does not make sense at all, it's ok.
<<

farquezy

Brewery Master
Brewery Master

Post Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:12 pm

i think the only reason things people predict come true is because we set the stage in a way that they well.
When someone says something will happen, we think it will happen and set the stage in order it to happen.
But thats jsut me
<<

que13x

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:15 pm

farquezy wrote:man i hate when you start thinking about this kind of stuff
its so annoying because you'll never know the answer...

That is the beauty of it!

Right or wrong it does not matter!

Perhaps working together we can come up with some truth.

~George Hotz @ $ony
<<

8-bit_ninja

Super Brewer
Super Brewer

Post Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:19 pm

Then here's some truth that's good to start with: I exist, and if you can say the same, then we all exist. Now, nobody will question themselves when confusing things like my version of the chaos theory come up.
<<

que13x

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:21 pm

Have you posted your "Chaos Theory" already? I am interested.

~George Hotz @ $ony
<<

kLine

Brewer
Brewer

Post Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:39 pm

"I know peering into the future is possible ..."

well i don't believe peering into the future is possible, and I've never seen any sort of convincing proof of it happening, other than extremely broad predictions of the future which are so ridiculous i can't believe that people buy into it. people that say they can tell the future either want money or attention or are just plain crazy.

also people losing weight when they die? well it seems to me that possibly this is because the body is no longer working, so blood is no longer being pumped around nor are your cells or body producing anything further
unless you are saying people automatically lose like 5 pounds i don't buy that its your 'soul' leaving your body.

and yeah energy cannot be created or destroyed, i don't think that presents much evidence that it means there is a soul that leaves, why can't it just be random particles of energy that scatter to who knows where
<<

que13x

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:56 pm

kLine wrote:i don't believe peering into the future is possible

I know a 39 year old woman that lives in Europe. I live in the states. After being out of communication with her for some time I had a dream that she was giving birth to a boy, and not a very handsome one either.

39 is OLD for the average woman to be getting pregnant not to mention unusual. The ones that do usually plan to do so. This was not the case.

I sent her an email telling her my dream. She reassured me that she was not going to get pregnant and that she was protecting herself. 4 months later I learned that she is 6 weeks pregnant.

Believe it or don't.

That was not my only experience with seeing the future just the most recent.

I do not meditate or ask for visions. They just come. I wish I could have more control but I don't.

I do not have any habits of using mind altering substances if anyone was wondering.

This is why I believe in destiny.

~George Hotz @ $ony
<<

kLine

Brewer
Brewer

Post Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:03 pm

yeah i get what you are saying and it is fine that you believe that, im just saying personally i think its just coincidence

4 months later is a long time, who knows what is going on in her life, maybe because you told her your dream something in her brain made it so her actions changed on the subject of sex or maybe she just wanted a baby?

i experience stuff like that too sometimes, a dream about a certain road or whatnot and later on in my life i'll drive down that exact road, but its just chance in my opinion, as long as the dream doesn't have like aliens and crazy stuff happening on the road im bound to drive down a similar road at some point in my life.
PreviousNext

Return to General Chat