Christmas List

<<

ace

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Thanks given: 10 times

Thanks received: 29 times

Post Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:56 pm

Well if I did purchase an iPhone I would probably just include unlimited minutes, and that's it. I could just use a wap wherever I go for internet instead of 3G, and just use my email to text people. I just checked ATT though and on their website the cheapest plan was like $110. Meh, I'll look into it.
It's not the religion that causes wars, it's the men who use religion as a means to control people that do.
They call me tater salad.
<<

DoctaMario

Experienced Brewer
Experienced Brewer

Thanks given: 0

Thanks received: 0

Post Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:35 pm

I have a friend who got his iPhone jailbroken so he doesn't have to use the standard AT&T iPhone plan. I don't know if it just fakes the phone's ID somehow, but he and his wife both have them and don't have iPhone plans.

Still, my bill is around $75-80 a month on Verizon and I think THAT'S a bit too much. :-\
]Is the iPhone the Next Great Force in Portable Gaming? Find out here: http://doctamario.wordpress.com
<<

que13x

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 1

Thanks received: 6 times

Post Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:48 pm

DoctaMario wrote:Still, my bill is around $75-80 a month on Verizon and I think THAT'S a bit too much. :-\

I totally agree. I don't see how the company can't profit just as much by selling $50 a month plans or any company for that matter. I have actually thought about dropping cellular service all together. It is not that $80 a month is too expensive for me I just think the service is too restrictive for the price of $80 a month.

I really like the concept behind the Google Phone but just bought an HTC touch so I won't be considering one anytime soon.
The programmers you will one day be looking to hire are the ones reading the tech news sites right now.

And they will remember...

~George Hotz @ $ony
<<

crait

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Thanks given: 195 times

Thanks received: 51 times

Post Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:12 pm

<<

AdventWolf

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 5 times

Thanks received: 10 times

Post Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:12 pm

No idea, some movies, money, maybe some games.
<<

staxx

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks received: 2 times

Post Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:10 am

que13x wrote:It is not that $80 a month is too expensive for me I just think the service is too restrictive for the price of $80 a month.

Agreed...its weird how "landline phones" go down in cost every year for their plans and cell phones rise. I'm not talking in terms of all the extra features making your bill outrageous, im talking in terms of just regular service on a decent plan.

I swear theyre competing with the gas companies the way their prices inflame every year. It's stuff like this that makes me glad i still got my city fido plan for $45 a month for unlimited all day every day talk.

My phone is similar to that...I got the motorola slvr l7
Please do not act as a moderator! If you see something wrong, please report it to one of the moderators.
Click a name to report
Staxx Ace_012 Tbag
<<

DoctaMario

Experienced Brewer
Experienced Brewer

Post Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:58 am

que13x wrote:
DoctaMario wrote:Still, my bill is around $75-80 a month on Verizon and I think THAT'S a bit too much. :-\

I totally agree. I don't see how the company can't profit just as much by selling $50 a month plans or any company for that matter. I have actually thought about dropping cellular service all together. It is not that $80 a month is too expensive for me I just think the service is too restrictive for the price of $80 a month.

I really like the concept behind the Google Phone but just bought an HTC touch so I won't be considering one anytime soon.

The thing is, they trap you with the more expensive plans because the cheaper ones don't offer much of anything. I have a 900 minutes a month plan plus a $10/month text package. I text a lot, but only use about 400 minutes a month and when I tried to look into a cheaper plan, none of the cheaper ones offered any sort of texting plan. They're smart in a really dodgy way, but the service is excellent, so I don't mind paying a little more.
]Is the iPhone the Next Great Force in Portable Gaming? Find out here: http://doctamario.wordpress.com
<<

que13x

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:50 am

They rip you off with TXT plans. Verizon hiked up their cheapest text fee from $5 to $10 a month this year. AT&T charges around $20 a month for similar txt features; I don't see how txting can be so expensive.

I don't understand long distance fees either. Isn't everything bouncing off satellites now?
The programmers you will one day be looking to hire are the ones reading the tech news sites right now.

~George Hotz @ $ony
<<

.Yunoko

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 13 times

Thanks received: 3 times

Post Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:08 am

staxx wrote:
que13x wrote:It is not that $80 a month is too expensive for me I just think the service is too restrictive for the price of $80 a month.

Agreed...its weird how "landline phones" go down in cost every year for their plans and cell phones rise. I'm not talking in terms of all the extra features making your bill outrageous, im talking in terms of just regular service on a decent plan.

Probably because so many people now have cell phones they need to raise the price to say, buy new towers, make older towers, stronger, hire more people to work etc etc.
<<

que13x

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:59 am

I disagree only because if you have more subscribers you should be able to earn more profits without hiking up operating costs. Adding a phone or mailing a bill costs next to nothing if they are working from a profit business model.

The towers do cost the companies money but only if they are put on private property. Also if a cell company owns a tower it charges other companies money for their use. Many cellular receivers are attached to existing structures anyways so I don't think tower costs are putting a real big dent on phone company profits.

Simply put, profits go towards dividends for the investors and 7 figure salaries for executives.

To maximize profits cell companies don't look for new customers, they squeeze the ones they have for as much as they can. That is why they get you into a 2 year contract and charge you money if you are disgusted enough to break the contract early.

Now that most of the public is used to having a phone in the pocket, companies can charge almost anything or do whatever they like and that is exactly what I believe is going on.

~George Hotz @ $ony
<<

.Yunoko

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 13 times

Thanks received: 3 times

Post Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:49 pm

que13x wrote:I disagree only because if you have more subscribers you should be able to earn more profits without hiking up operating costs. Adding a phone or mailing a bill costs next to nothing if they are working from a profit business model.

The towers do cost the companies money but only if they are put on private property. Also if a cell company owns a tower it charges other companies money for their use. Many cellular receivers are attached to existing structures anyways so I don't think tower costs are putting a real big dent on phone company profits.

Simply put, profits go towards dividends for the investors and 7 figure salaries for executives.

To maximize profits cell companies don't look for new customers, they squeeze the ones they have for as much as they can. That is why they get you into a 2 year contract and charge you money if you are disgusted enough to break the contract early.

Now that most of the public is used to having a phone in the pocket, companies can charge almost anything or do whatever they like and that is exactly what I believe is going on.

True, but I bet they do still lose a lot of money just from having the towers on private property, I have family members who have, my cities, major tower on there farm field, and they get either ($5000 a month, or a free phone with upgrades whenever, plus a free plan. Guess which one they take?)

But still you are right, I guess some company;s are just money hungry.
<<

staxx

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks received: 2 times

Post Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:34 pm

you really think $5000 a month is a lot to a phone company? The average person pays about $60 a month for their cell plans after all the features and taxes are said and done. To gain that 5000 back all they would need is 83 customers. 83 customers per tower isnt that much...Most companies have millions of customers. Now you do the mathe for profits :wink:
Please do not act as a moderator! If you see something wrong, please report it to one of the moderators.
Click a name to report
Staxx Ace_012 Tbag
<<

JustinWoodypond

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Thanks received: 1

Post Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:37 pm

DoctaMario wrote:I have a friend who got his iPhone jailbroken so he doesn't have to use the standard AT&T iPhone plan. I don't know if it just fakes the phone's ID somehow, but he and his wife both have them and don't have iPhone plans.

Still, my bill is around $75-80 a month on Verizon and I think THAT'S a bit too much. :-\

Probably is using an IMEI changer. Unfortunately those don't work on the 3G yet, only the older model. I've been waiting forever so I can change my iPhone's IMEI #. It'll happen sooner or later.
The opposite of war isn't peace, it's creation!
<<

gman

Brewery Master
Brewery Master

Post Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:15 am

i WANT MY MUSTANG GT payd off and a new laptop with the best of the best everthing a new amp 4 my car n new rims and speakers so powerful then my bass is turn up it moves the car next 2 me lol
ʛᴟλאּ
<<

DoctaMario

Experienced Brewer
Experienced Brewer

Post Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:39 pm

gman wrote:i WANT MY MUSTANG GT payd off and a new laptop with the best of the best everthing a new amp 4 my car n new rims and speakers so powerful then my bass is turn up it moves the car next 2 me lol

You realize that every time the bass hits in a system like that, it shakes your car apart a little bit, right? <_< >_>
PreviousNext

Return to General Chat