Forum    News    Downloads    Saved Games

Official Religion Debate Thread

What faith do you practice, or would most closely associate your beliefs with?

Christianity
48%
Buddhism
2%
Hinduism
2%
Judaism
2%
Agnosticism / Atheism
25%
Other
5%
None or Undecided
8%
I'm not sure
8%

Total votes : 60
<<

The Cookie Monster

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 9 times

Thanks received: 54 times

Post Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:43 am

Re: Official Religion Debate Thread

yeah but I can't believe you never put up Islam... because it is one of the 4 main religions....

Btw, if the title is editable, I think it should be named "Official Belief Debate Thread"
-Formerly DCM
<<

DarkPacMan77

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Thanks given: 13 times

Thanks received: 18 times

Post Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:26 pm

I'm not too sure why I didn't put Islam either, but by the looks of the poll, either 3 chose "other" for Islam or less than 3, so I suppose it's not that big of a loss.

-DarkPacMan77-
D3ViLsAdvocate wrote:Try shaking the salt harder onto your tongue.
<<

TheTyler0013

Brewery Master
Brewery Master

Location: I am a ninja, I pop in at certain times and locations.

Thanks given: 1

Thanks received: 9 times

Post Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:57 pm

I am just sick of Religion LOL, I will live my life the way i thnk it hould be lived and be happy =D.
<<

Alex Finlay

Brewery Master
Brewery Master

Thanks received: 2 times

Post Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:38 am

BKF you need to get one of these!
also, im an athiest, Religion was attemptively pumped into me from the day i was born, not by my mother, not by any other religious person other then my f**king school.
i blame the schools for some of the biggest bulls**t ever tbh.
anyways staying on topic, as i said im an athiest.
Believe in what you want to believe in and we're fine, however try to force it upon me and you better be able to take a beating
Being redone
<<

que13x

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks received: 6 times

Post Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:16 am

Tis the season. So I thought I would throw something in there for you to reflect on while you go about your usual holiday traditions whatever they may be.

AS you are well aware the bulk of Jews and Muslims do not accept Jesus as a messiah or the savior of mankind. Christians view this as a sin of sorts obviously and give many reasons for it.

Recently, I was re-reading the book of Mathew (Don't you from time to time?) and I came upon a realization. The Jews were expecting a messiah from the line of David to save them from their oppressors (Jeremiah 23:5). As you well know the New Testament describes Jesus as being conceived by the holy spirit so technically Jesus doesn't carry David's blood. Jesus was adopted by a member of the house of David (Joseph) and unless Joseph married a relative, Mary probably did not descend from the house of David either.

Think about this, even though Moses was adopted by Pharaoh, he is not considered Egyptian so why is it stated that Jesus descended from the Davidic line?

With that said there are two conclusions that I have drawn.

1. The virgin birth never occurred as written in the scripture which I believe is the accepted modern scholarly view.

and

2. Joseph was indeed the genetic father of Jesus (no immaculate conception required) but this implies that his birth was no more special than mine or yours which puts Jesus in the same class of people as Ghandi or Martin Luther King both mortal men that are greatly revered and had many followers, but I would not go as far as saying they are "worshiped".

Today we condemn anyone that claims to be the son of god as a nut or lunatic (ie: http://www.allaboutcults.org/jose-jesus-miranda-faq.htm ) and yet these people still have followers. So what does that say about them? .

Just some food for thought.

Merry Xmas
The programmers you will one day be looking to hire are the ones reading the tech news sites right now.

And they will remember...

~George Hotz @ $ony
<<

ace

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Thanks given: 10 times

Thanks received: 29 times

Post Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:25 am

Moses was adopted by Pharaoh's daughter. His real parents were Amram and Jochebed, thus if I recall right he was a Levite.

As for Jesus though, I suppose at the time the people would've considered him from the line of David because his father was from the line of David. Also if a man adopted a son then the son was given his fathers lineage. The last line I actually found when I looked it up on this page surprisingly: http://www.westarkchurchofchrist.org/li ... ealogy.htm
Seemed like a good little read.
It's not the religion that causes wars, it's the men who use religion as a means to control people that do.
They call me tater salad.
<<

irishdragon85

Experienced Brewer
Experienced Brewer

Thanks given: 16 times

Thanks received: 7 times

Post Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:32 am

i don't debate religion, especially with people i don't know. :D my grandfather used to tell me that there are two things in this world you never talk about with anyone Religion and Politics. The reason behind this is to use his exact words, "you never know who you're gonna piss off and whether or not they are violent." While Anonymous internet forums may be somewhat safe from that i still abide by it.
<<

ace

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Thanks given: 10 times

Thanks received: 29 times

Post Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:37 pm

I've found arguments about fried okra vs. boiled okra fall under that same category as well irishdragon.
It's not the religion that causes wars, it's the men who use religion as a means to control people that do.
They call me tater salad.
<<

irishdragon85

Experienced Brewer
Experienced Brewer

Thanks given: 16 times

Thanks received: 7 times

Post Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:51 pm

this is true it seems on forums the slightest thing can set off a flame war. :) i won't lie i have been guilty of starting and participating in flame wars. the point i'm making is i don't debate because i know what i believe and frankly in my old age i'm tired of starting/participating in flame wars and defending my belief system. :)
<<

DarkPacMan77

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Thanks given: 13 times

Thanks received: 18 times

Post Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:30 pm

ace wrote:I've found arguments about fried okra vs. boiled okra fall under that same category as well irishdragon.

Q and I are fully preparing for the next multi-faceted debate thread. Boiled okra ftw!

-DarkPacMan77-
D3ViLsAdvocate wrote:Try shaking the salt harder onto your tongue.
Previous

Return to General Chat