Forum    News    Downloads    Saved Games

warez/torrents and just pirating software in general?

Is it ok to Pirate Software

yes
25%
no
50%
i really dont care
25%

Total votes : 8
<<

amaric

Experienced Brewer
Experienced Brewer

Thanks given: 0

Thanks received: 0

Post Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:11 pm

warez/torrents and just pirating software in general?

ok huys so what are your views on it is it right or wrong?
zomgardninjasayrawr
<<

staxx

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks received: 2 times

Post Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:32 pm

No it's not ok.

I only view it ok when its used for testing purposes (much like renting). To see if its something purchase worthy.
Please do not act as a moderator! If you see something wrong, please report it to one of the moderators.
Click a name to report
Staxx Ace_012 Tbag
<<

que13x

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 1

Thanks received: 6 times

Post Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:12 am

I always buy software but only the really good masterpieces. If it is not worth buying it isn't worth owning.
The programmers you will one day be looking to hire are the ones reading the tech news sites right now.

And they will remember...

~George Hotz @ $ony
<<

.Yunoko

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 13 times

Thanks received: 3 times

Post Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:58 am

Well yes and no.

For movies, and songs, I only do it if I can't download them off itunes. Or buy them such as, I just watched an amazing documentary on the history channel the other day. Well you can't buy this movie, so I had to resort to downloading it.

Also for programs such as photoshop that cost like $500 dollars to buy yes. Because I think its dumb to have to pay that much for one program, and in six months there will just be a new version.

So I am sorta split on this matter.

I'm not really scared either about getting caught because, even if I was a heavy user of pirating, etc there is no way they can catch you because there are just so many people who do it. Why would they pick you out of 50 million people who do it or w.e. Like the only real way I could get caught is from my isp. And they would just shut down my net for a 2 weeks or w.e.
<<

que13x

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:19 am

.Yunoko wrote:Also for programs such as photoshop that cost like $500 dollars to buy yes. Because I think its dumb to have to pay that much for one program, and in six months there will just be a new version.

No excuses.

If I need something photoshoped I have no problem finding a legitimate owner of the software to call in a favor. The software costs $500+ because companies have to recoup their development costs from the 50 million freeloaders like yourself that steal programs and allow companies to justify high prices for their software.

Software development takes a lot of time and programmers need to eat too.

The days of P2P and piracy are at an end. In less than 24 months, when the US internet is upgraded, people will be caught and prosecuted and it will be done in the name of consumer protection.

Don't forget that corporations have the ability to propose laws and there is just as much money to be made suing people as there is for developing software.

If you think this cycle of downloading for free will continue forever you are only kidding yourself.
The programmers you will one day be looking to hire are the ones reading the tech news sites right now.

~George Hotz @ $ony
<<

.Yunoko

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 13 times

Thanks received: 3 times

Post Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:52 am

Well its a good thing I don't live int he usa. And both of those guys running for president have talked about how useful the internet is. And I think it was on G4 the other day but Barreck will allow p2p or something idk because I don't care because I don't live there.
<<

que13x

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:21 am

.Yunoko wrote:Well its a good thing I don't live int he usa. I don't care because I don't live there.

http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2007/ ... ome_corsi/

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/artic ... E_ID=50618

http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=14965

Welcome to the union .Yunoko. Perhaps in 2012 you will legitimately be able to vote for Hillary when she runs again.

~George Hotz @ $ony
<<

staxx

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks received: 2 times

Post Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:35 am

.Yunoko wrote:Well its a good thing I don't live int he usa. I don't care because I don't live there.

You should care...If you haven't noticed, we're (Canada) headed into a recession (something of magnitude equal to the 70's) Our Dollar is low (.85 for $1 US now) a lot of our major businesses are downsizing now. This all has to do with the economy position of our neighbours...They're headed for hard times themselves, if theyre not doing so well....they can't import as much. Which means we arent generating as much export revenue. Look at the auto manufacturers up here for example if youre unsure of what i'm talking about.

Anyways, to keep this on topic. How would they prosicute downloaders? Who's to say that they dont already own the product that they're downloading? Can't keep tabs on that sort of crap...
Please do not act as a moderator! If you see something wrong, please report it to one of the moderators.
Click a name to report
Staxx Ace_012 Tbag
<<

8-bit_ninja

Super Brewer
Super Brewer

Thanks received: 0

Post Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:54 pm

Its always better to prosecute providers, so as to cut off supply to downloaders. But there are too many loop-holes, too many people abusing them, to stop it right now.
I only download something if its no longer being sold in non-second-hand stores. Or if my disc is broken, that's only happened once, though.
This is a sig. You may think that there is something to it, but in fact it is just an ordinary sig.

Return to General Chat