crait

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Thanks given: 195 times

Thanks received: 51 times

Post Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:57 pm

Re: Debate: The Draft

It's anti-American to ask questions?
It's anti-American to not want to fight innocent people?
I need to support my country regardless if it instigates a fight?
I need to believe the lies that it tells me?

That's what countries like North Korea do. They lie to you and make you fight for them regardless if you want to or not and if you don't support them, then you are penalized. What you're saying sounds like the opposite of American, to me...
<<

AdventWolf

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 5 times

Thanks received: 10 times

Post Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:58 pm

Dude, take it easy. He likely wants to do what HE with his life instead of being pushed off to join the military. It would suck to have dreams and aspirations that are killed/delayed because of being forced into the military, not voluntarily.
<<

crait

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Post Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:08 pm

AdventWolf wrote:Dude, take it easy. He likely wants to do what HE with his life instead of being pushed off to join the military. It would suck to have dreams and aspirations that are killed/delayed because of being forced into the military, not voluntarily.

Exactly. Why should I have to set aside my goals, go kill people, and risk my life because of what some guy in a suit says?
<<

airplanes18

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 19 times

Thanks received: 8 times

Post Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:29 pm

because its your duty to the country
Billy Mays is STILL my Hero.
<<

crait

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Post Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:40 pm

crait wrote:It's anti-American to ask questions?
It's anti-American to not want to fight innocent people?
I need to support my country regardless if it instigates a fight?
I need to believe the lies that it tells me?

airplanes18 wrote:because its your duty to the country

How does that work? I have to shut up, shoot people, disregard the government's intentions, and believe them no matter what because I was born here? (Something that I cannot control.)
<<

airplanes18

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:53 pm

twist it anyway you like. doesnt matter. and there are exceptions, but there are duties that you should uphold. what makes our country free? MILITARY. more and more people think like you do, teach others to think it, then whats gonna protect your freedom?
<<

crait

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Post Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:58 pm

Who are we protecting ourselves from? Last time I checked, it was us who invaded Iraq because we 'knew' that they had WMD's. They did not. What about when they say Iran has them? You gonna go to war with them without knowing for sure or are you going to solve things diplomatically?
That's what America is about. Diplomacy. Not kill people now, ask questions later.

Military doesn't make us free. We're not free. This is slavery.
<<

airplanes18

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:00 pm

then leave. dont like it? leave.

and proteect is from anything. WWII wasnt predicted, but we had a military to defend us.
<<

crait

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Post Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:09 pm

We had a military to defend us from whom? Germany? That's besides that point, anyways.
I asked "Who are we protecting ourselves from?" We can't be protecting ourselves from everyone because not everyone is attacking us. No one is attacking us. Iraq was in the middle of a civil war and we stepped in. Think about this... What if Spain randomly entered our Civil War in 1863? What if they stepped in and caused even more deaths on both sides of the war? Doesn't sound good to me considering we would save more lives without them.
We entered this war for no reason. We weren't defending ourselves. We continue to pump in money to this war that has no end . That money could be going to someone who needs it like starving kids in America. And I'm supposed to support it because I'm un-American if I do not? Pfffft. Forget that. I'd rather give food to a poor kid than help pay for our citizens to kill themselves in someone else's war.

Why should I have to leave? Women don't have to apply for the draft. Why should one group of people be forced to do such a thing? I have goals and if a woman has the same goals as me, why should she get ahead in life because of something like this?
<<

airplanes18

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:01 am

crait wrote:We had a military to defend us from whom? Germany? That's besides that point, anyways.
I asked "Who are we protecting ourselves from?"

dude, seriously? its right there. military protecting us. duh. who? we didnt know german would attack our boats. and iraq. didnt know theyd bomb us. you think its okay to them attack us? really? think about that. there was a reason.

crait wrote:Why should I have to leave? Women don't have to apply for the draft. Why should one group of people be forced to do such a thing? I have goals and if a woman has the same goals as me, why should she get ahead in life because of something like this?
because women are something men are supposed to protect. its proper. its whats been going on for ages. thats not a viable reason.
<<

The Cookie Monster

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 9 times

Thanks received: 54 times

Post Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:34 am

When did Iraq bomb the US, airplanes? You should give some resources with what you say....honestly I find this stupid, UK has something like that but its for foreigners, If you want, you can work in the army for a year and get the nationality, but then its your choice... this is worse than conscription... I am glad I wasn't born in the US and ain't going to Uni there...
-Formerly DCM
<<

que13x

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 1

Thanks received: 6 times

Post Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:13 am

airplanes18 wrote:you are supposed to support your country regaurdless of what happens, unless it changes from the democracy its supposed to be.

Thomas Jefferson once said that "decention is the greatest form of patriotism". Simply put it means you aren't supposed to go along with everything your country says do.

America is not supposed to be Democratic, it is supposed to be a Republic. If you knew your pledge of allegiance you would know that.

The word "Democracy" doesn't even appear in The Declaration of Independence, The Constitution or the 50 state constitutions.

James Madison once said "Democracies have ever been spectacles of turbulence and contention; have ever been found incompatible with personal security or the rights of property; and have in general been as short in their lives as they have been violent in their death."

To use your own words:
airplanes18 wrote:it pisses me off and shows exactly how narrow and exactly how little you understand what america is supposed to be and what your supposed to be standing for.
The programmers you will one day be looking to hire are the ones reading the tech news sites right now.

And they will remember...

~George Hotz @ $ony
<<

TheTyler0013

Brewery Master
Brewery Master

Location: I am a ninja, I pop in at certain times and locations.

Thanks given: 1

Thanks received: 9 times

Post Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:39 am

Couldn't put it better Que.

Look I Love my country to but its going down the sh*t, Obama is raising taxes once again, and he just is screwing a lot up by doing nothing. I WILL NOT SUPPORT HIM!!!! I would rather Move to Canada.

airplanes18 wrote:this is the biggest sh*t ive heard out of all of you. suck it the f**k up and enjoy being a part of america, or be a f**k little b**ch and leave. you are supposed to support your country regaurdless of what happens, unless it changes from the democracy its supposed to be. now, the chances you will be actually fighting are slim. very slim. so enjoy the military benefits and dont be anti-american. it pisses me off and shows exactly how narrow and exactly how little you understand what america is supposed to be and what your supposed to be standing for. very f**k selfish of you.

STH(eck)U! Ur not in the military ur 17. WE both (and more people on this site) have MILITARY FAMILY!!! I support the Military for what it can do when we need them (almost joined voluntarily myslef b4 obama) They are a great support. But to force a draft and kill your dreams for a war that has no merit its ridiculous.

Again I LOVE my country I am "free" to do what I want with my life. The life that is being fought for so i can do what i want. Going in the military isnt a thing for the country anymore its a way to make money and get "free" education. thats what ppl use it for, then they wine when they are called to do their job. So dont act like all military ppl are patriotic.
<<

crait

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Post Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:31 am

airplanes18 wrote:
crait wrote:We had a military to defend us from whom? Germany? That's besides that point, anyways.
I asked "Who are we protecting ourselves from?"

dude, seriously? its right there. military protecting us. duh. who? we didnt know german would attack our boats. and iraq. didnt know theyd bomb us. you think its okay to them attack us? really? think about that. there was a reason.

O_O
Iraq never bombed us.
The government said Al Quida from Afgahnistan did. That's why we entered Afgahnistan. Why did we go to Iraq in the first place? WMD's that weren't there. They didn't do anything to us so we aren't attacking them back. We invaded them.
Again... Iraq never bombed us.

airplanes18 wrote:
crait wrote:Why should I have to leave? Women don't have to apply for the draft. Why should one group of people be forced to do such a thing? I have goals and if a woman has the same goals as me, why should she get ahead in life because of something like this?
because women are something men are supposed to protect. its proper. its whats been going on for ages. thats not a viable reason.

More like men were owning women.... It's sexist to seperate men from women at jobs. (Even when the military hires.) What's so different about this? Didn't women go through a big struggle to get the exact rights as men?

[quote=TheTyler]Obama is raising taxes once again[/quote]
Actually, Obama has cut taxes for 98.6 percent of all working households. Don't just assume it's true if someone tells you that he's raised them.
Source: http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/2009/08/ ... nt-of.html
Republicans that are saying that he raised them are complaining about losing their money and republicans that are saying he lowered them are complaining about the lack of funding towards the government. He can't do anything right when a Republican talks about him.
<<

light_alistor

Brewery Master
Brewery Master

Thanks given: 0

Thanks received: 2 times

Post Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:56 am

I do not believe in our war. its a facade. A case where my country lied to me. To YOU. I'll fight for my country, but I refuse to fight for the assholes that think they are fit to run it.

Obama is in a bad position. Their isnt much you can do with what he has. Our country is on unsteady legs. Any reform too large before we get steady will only serve to further unbalance us.

Also a draft is a clear case of my country trying to control my will. Big Boss said it best. Just read my quote. My will comes before my country,
"Life isn't about changing the world. Its about doing your best to leave it the way it is and respecting the wills of others. and believing in your own." - Big Boss
PreviousNext

Return to General Chat