<<

que13x

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 1

Thanks received: 6 times

Post Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:08 am

US Civil War

OK so I got into a debate with my English teacher and she totally shut me down but now I want to know what you guys think.

I basically stated that the part in the Declaration of Independence that says " all men are created equal" meant that no man was so high above another that he was to own another fellow man and that the issue of slavery eventually led to the civil war.

She said I was wrong and that the civil war was mainly about states rights.

I said it was about the states right to use slave labor.

She disagrees but admits that the south was agricultural (who did most of the planting ?) and the north was mostly industrial.

I think slavery is the big elephant in the room that no one wants to mention when talking about the civil war.

She is a southern belle. I too was born south of the Mason Dixon so just mention whether you are a Yankee or not when replying and let's see where this ends up.
The programmers you will one day be looking to hire are the ones reading the tech news sites right now.

And they will remember...

~George Hotz @ $ony
<<

The Cookie Monster

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 9 times

Thanks received: 54 times

Post Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:29 am

Re: US Civil War

I said yes because I've studied about the civil war in history, but honestly I really don't care...
-Formerly DCM
<<

crait

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Thanks given: 195 times

Thanks received: 50 times

Post Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:53 pm

What a retard! Is that what the teachers all teach in Florida? Here in Texas, each student is expected to know that the Civil War was started because of the conflict of interests regarding slavery. There were big companies that relied on a morally wrong thing to do, but they didn't want to loose profit so they led the country into a war.
The school systems drill that into your head, here.
<<

airplanes18

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 19 times

Thanks received: 8 times

Post Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:19 pm

uh, shes an english teacher. maybe she should teach ENGLISH and not history, although her competence seems fairly minuscule, so maybe she shouldnt teach at all...

just saying.
Billy Mays is STILL my Hero.
<<

BKFraiders7

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Location: On COD:BO2 iPhone User:5 Mac User: Macbook Pro Mtn Lion

Thanks given: 13 times

Thanks received: 31 times

Post Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:50 pm

Just got done reading Founding Brothers and it agrees with you Que

btw, english TEACHER? I thought you had graduated college and everything lol
Watch me stream on MIXER or follow on Youtube at ChA0TiCxDR3AMS

Image Image
<<

que13x

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 1

Thanks received: 6 times

Post Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:48 pm

BKFraiders7 wrote:btw, english TEACHER? I thought you had graduated college and everything lol
Nope, I am in English 1102 @ Florida State and I just dumped this professor. I got the Dean's approval last Thrusday.
**FYI I have to take the GED next Friday, wish me luck.**

I will seek out this book "Founding Brothers" and see what it has to say.
The programmers you will one day be looking to hire are the ones reading the tech news sites right now.

And they will remember...

~George Hotz @ $ony
<<

ace

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Thanks given: 10 times

Thanks received: 29 times

Post Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:14 pm

To be honest I haven't any idea, I've read more about the battles then the reason the Civil War was fought, and it has been about 3 years since I've even thought about the civil war but I'd have to say it definitely played a significant part in the civil war. Although I've heard people say that a couple northern states had slaves right up to the beginning of the civil war, dunno know if it was true or not. It's very plausible though, I wouldn't argue against it without some facts to back it up. Oh and I'm south of the mason dixon :p

Oh and good luck que! I skipped 1101 & 1102 and just went to 1103 hoping it would be of some interest, and help my writing skills but so far it's been about arguing against conservative views using "critical thinking" which evidently only applies to making decisions based off physical facts and not how you feel. >.>
It's not the religion that causes wars, it's the men who use religion as a means to control people that do.
They call me tater salad.
<<

DracoDarco

Super Brewer
Super Brewer

Thanks given: 0

Thanks received: 0

Post Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:19 pm

basically Lincoln said he would free the slaves, the south seceded, Lincoln declared war to get them back under the control of the union while letting the border states keep their slaves. In other words neither of you were entirely correct the main reason for the war was to preserve the union. Keep in mind this is the kind of issue in which there can be multiple answers or even where all answers are partially correct.
<<

BKFraiders7

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Location: On COD:BO2 iPhone User:5 Mac User: Macbook Pro Mtn Lion

Thanks given: 13 times

Thanks received: 31 times

Post Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:28 am

que13x wrote:
BKFraiders7 wrote:btw, english TEACHER? I thought you had graduated college and everything lol
Nope, I am in English 1102 @ Florida State and I just dumped this professor. I got the Dean's approval last Thrusday.
**FYI I have to take the GED next Friday, wish me luck.**

I will seek out this book "Founding Brothers" and see what it has to say.

Its not a book for pleasure lol. Just started an AP Us history class in high school and it was required. Had some interesting stuff tho. Just dont let the first chapter or two bore you to death tho.
Watch me stream on MIXER or follow on Youtube at ChA0TiCxDR3AMS

Image Image

Return to General Chat