<<

que13x

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 1

Thanks received: 6 times

Post Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:14 pm

What would you do if...

You are a wealthy property manager/owner and notice a large city accepting bids for the lease of two office buildings.

Unfortunately, the buildings aren't renting well because they contain health code violations. It will cost you quite a bit per building to clear the violations. The cost of the rent doesn't cover the cost of heating and cooling or maintenance so you would have to raise rent to help pay for the cleanup, but if you raise the rent, many of the current tenants will leave.

There are other property managers interested in leasing the buildings from the city. Despite this you overpower them with your bid and discourage new offers and you eventually win a 99 year lease on the buildings.

After you secure the lease of the buildings you realize that the total cleanup cost could exceed upwards of 1BILLION dollars (more than the buildings are worth).

Do you...

(A) Immediately start on cleanup of the buildings to attract more tenants & pay for it out of pocket & hope to make up the cost with renters over time.

(B) Ask for a permit from the city to demolish the buildings and start over. Unfortunately the liability insurance may cost you as much if not more than the cost of cleanup; but you could redesign the new buildings to maximize profits.

(C) Take out a terror insurance policy then months later with your power and influence you secretly arrange an "incident" which will bring down the buildings abruptly and violently. The terrorist will be to blame. This will cost you next to nothing but many innocent lives will be lost. When the dust settles you immediately begin clearing the debris before a proper investigation can be completed and commence the erection of a new building to maximize profits. You may even be able to get the city to help you pay for some of the cost of the new building.

What ever will you do? Answer above.
Last edited by que13x on Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The programmers you will one day be looking to hire are the ones reading the tech news sites right now.

And they will remember...

~George Hotz @ $ony
<<

crait

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Thanks given: 195 times

Thanks received: 50 times

Post Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:20 pm

Re: What would you do if...

HAHAHAHA.
I knew exactly where you were going before I even read C.
I would do the American thing and pick A.
<<

AdventWolf

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 5 times

Thanks received: 10 times

Post Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:02 pm

I'd probably do b, since it might cost about the same from the liability, you might as well spend a little bit extra change to reconstruct it to maximize your profits to help in the long run.
<<

ace

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Thanks given: 10 times

Thanks received: 29 times

Post Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:04 pm

I'd do b :) Although I doubt i'd buy it to begin with.
It's not the religion that causes wars, it's the men who use religion as a means to control people that do.
They call me tater salad.
<<

crait

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Post Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:31 pm

ace wrote:I'd do b :) Although I doubt i'd buy it to begin with.

Right... Why would someone buy a building if they will lose money off of it?
<<

que13x

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:12 am

I should have added that the above scenario is fiction as I have written it but it is heavily based on truth.

I do not believe that a sole property developer purchased the Twin Towers and then wrecked them just to profit.(But you have to admit that it was incredibly beneficial to Silverstein Properties to have the towers collapse shortly after they were leased)

The towers were filled with asbestos that needed to be cleaned up. This is why there were few tenants in the buildings. http://www.asbestos.com/world-trade-center/

Some estimates for the cleanup did approach the billion dollar range. http://www.allbusiness.com/legal/trial- ... 294-1.html

The port authority did lease the buildings out to a private company to defer some of the cost of heating and cooling. http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m ... _74942372/

Silverstein Properties wasn't the highest bidder but won the lease for the WTC anyways. http://www.opednews.com/Diary/Laurence- ... 6-154.html

Terror insurance on the towers was a big priority for obvious reasons. http://www.forbes.com/2003/09/11/cx_da_ ... print.html

And finally, Cleanup on the buildings was commenced before a proper investigation was completed. http://www.house.gov/list/press/ny09_we ... lapse.html

I believe planes hit the towers. I don't believe Muslims were responsible and I don't believe that Silverstien Properties conspired with Bin Laden to make it happen.

Finally I hope many people that get this far in reading do some more digging on their own and share their findings with others.

**edited to provide a congressional source to support the fact that cleanup on the buildings was started before a proper investigation was completed.**
Last edited by que13x on Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
The programmers you will one day be looking to hire are the ones reading the tech news sites right now.

~George Hotz @ $ony
<<

ace

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Thanks given: 10 times

Thanks received: 29 times

Post Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:20 am

O wow lol, good thing no one selected c :p
It's not the religion that causes wars, it's the men who use religion as a means to control people that do.
They call me tater salad.
<<

airplanes18

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 19 times

Thanks received: 8 times

Post Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:15 am

i would pick b or a. b does make the tenants have to leave, aand who says theyre gonna come back? seriously... that could break your operation AND you name....
Billy Mays is STILL my Hero.
<<

que13x

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:59 am

airplanes18 wrote:i would pick b or a. b does make the tenants have to leave, aand who says theyre gonna come back? seriously... that could break your operation AND you name....

Well to keep it short I didn't go into detail about the location; however, if you have property in the heart of a busy and prosperous metropolis one thing is for sure; if you rent it they will come.

~George Hotz @ $ony
<<

crait

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Post Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:50 am

que13x wrote:Terror insurance specifically designed to protect against attacks by planes on the towers was a big priority for obvious reasons. http://www.forbes.com/2003/09/11/cx_da_ ... print.html

I fixed it for you. ;)
<<

Alex Finlay

Brewery Master
Brewery Master

Thanks received: 2 times

Post Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:35 pm

ace wrote:O wow lol, good thing no one selected c :p

lolwut, i didn't do anything.
Being redone
<<

que13x

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:54 pm

Alex Finlay wrote:lolwut, i didn't do anything.

You had to be the frickin odd ball. :-p

I hope you educate us on 7/7 at the appropriate time. Lot's of anomalies there too.

~George Hotz @ $ony

Return to General Chat