<<

crait

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Thanks given: 195 times

Thanks received: 51 times

Post Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:52 pm

Re: I Have A Few Options For A New Console

You're definitely right with the Blu-ray. I would actually buy some Blu-ray videos if I could with them being sold for ~$20 at some places.
<<

brentbizzle

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Thanks given: 0

Thanks received: 15 times

Post Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:15 am

there's so much potential with the ps3. the 360 is a dead end. microsoft will have to release a new console to keep up with technology while the hardware in the ps3 will be good for a while. blurays will get cheaper. developers will get back on board with sony.

and the homebrew... just wait until someone dumps the emotion engine...
Founding father of the Wiibrew Packgen.
About 2 noob posts away from going ape sh*t
<<

crait

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Post Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:03 am

Oh, wow. I didn't think about porting over the PS2 emulator that Sony made!
<<

que13x

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 1

Thanks received: 6 times

Post Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:21 am

brentbizzle wrote:there's so much potential with the ps3. the 360 is a dead end. microsoft will have to release a new console to keep up with technology while the hardware in the ps3 will be good for a while.
The irony here is that although the PS3 is the more powerful console, it isn't being used to it's potential. Coding for it is a nightmare and developers are pressed to meet deadlines and so you end up with "good enough" graphics instead of mind blowing graphics as advertised. Decide for yourself here. $ony clearly lags despite having better hardware.
brentbizzle wrote:Blu-Ray will get cheaper. Developers will get back on board with sony.

$ony has yet to offer a console with a reliable laser. PS2 PS2 and PS3 all have laser issues.
Blu-Ray will get cheaper but $ony Blu-Ray drives fail frequently. Mine did and I am not an isolated case *google*. As a result I only use my PS3 for movies or if I do play a PS3 title I only do so for an hour because replacement isn't cheap and $ony isn't as good as Micro$oft when it comes to warranty replacements. ($ony 1 year: Micro$oft 3 years)

Blu-Ray players can go for as little as $75 so if the reasoning is that PS3 is a cheap Blu-Ray player, well that no longer applies.

As for the developers going back to $ony, this is wishful thinking. As I stated earlier coding for the PS3 is a nightmare (case in point)and $ony is too arrogant to listen to it's customers why would it listen to the developers? They shoot themselves in the foot! Something would have to change for developers to come back so until that happens...
The programmers you will one day be looking to hire are the ones reading the tech news sites right now.

And they will remember...

~George Hotz @ $ony
<<

crait

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Post Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:09 am

Que, it actually is very simple to code for. Coming from the horse's mouth. It's the exact same set-up as the PSP. :D The only reasons why companies aren't programming to their potential is because of unrealistic dealines and greedy companies trying to sell half a product. The 360 can look amazing, but it doesn't. Same with the PS3. The graphics aren't impressive on either side, in my opinion.
I'm actually getting my new HD today, so I'll be able to finally get Windows 7 working on my PC with all the software that I've been needing to code for nearly any platform. :D
(PC, PSP, PS3, OSX, iOS, Windows Mobile, Android, Etc.) Muhahaha. Perhaps I'll port some stuff over to the PS3 that I never released and actually release it for the PSP this time. XD
Everyone wants to play the Pet Chicken Game. :X
While both sides are making good arguments, I went into this thinking I would get a 360, but I'm actually leaning towards a PS3, now.
<<

AdventWolf

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 5 times

Thanks received: 10 times

Post Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:49 am

Let me try to list some more exclusives:

PS3:

inFamous
Heavy Rain
Demon's Souls
White Knight Chronicles

360:

Alan Wake
Halo Wars
Dead Rising
<<

crait

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Post Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:55 am

Well, out of those, none of them interest me at all except Dead Rising. That would make me buy a 360 but the second one is coming out for both the PS3 and the 360.
<<

que13x

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:11 pm

crait wrote:Que, it actually is very simple to code for. Coming from the horse's mouth. It's the exact same set-up as the PSP. :D

You got to be kidding me!

Did you follow the case in point link? You must have missed it, here it is for your convenience: http://playstationlifestyle.net/2010/07 ... -of-ffxiv/

A PSP is essentially a pocket PS1. IF you code for a PS3 the way you code a PSP then you aren't using the hardware to it's potential, just like I stated, thanks for supporting my point with personal experience.
The programmers you will one day be looking to hire are the ones reading the tech news sites right now.

~George Hotz @ $ony
<<

brentbizzle

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Post Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:15 pm

The ps3 might be hard to code for, but with the 360 relying on DVD's, they're going to run out of space as games get more detailed and longer. Now with the possibility of 3D games, even if the 360 could do it hardware wise, you're still stuck on DVD9's.

On top of that, Microsoft has just recently stated that they believe that bluray is a dead end tech and will not be using it. That means if they went with a new physical media it will end up in another system that can't function as a multi-purpose player.
<<

que13x

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:29 pm

brentbizzle wrote:with the 360 relying on DVD's, they're going to run out of space as games get more detailed and longer

Good point, but is swapping DVDs going to be that much of a pain? We did it with Metal Gear and Final Fantasy both highly acclaimed games no one complained about the disk swapping.
brentbizzle wrote:Microsoft has just recently stated that they believe that bluray is a dead end tech and will not be using it.

Yea I heard that too but that makes me wonder what they are thinking of because to me it seems that Blu-Ray is here to stay at least for the next 10 years.

I doubt the next gen will return to cartridges. I think in the future you will stream in your games via broadband.

~George Hotz @ $ony
<<

ace

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Thanks given: 10 times

Thanks received: 29 times

Post Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:12 pm

To be honest I still believe the xbox will always have "better homebrew". XBMC is old news, I used my xbox 1 with XBMC which was extremely easy to softmod, not to mention the plethora of apps and what you can do with it compared to the ps2 at the time. Same goes with the xbox 360 and ps3. Playing burnt games and the jtag exploit is old news now, they are already creating hacked dashboards, and you can begin to do the same thing you could with the 1st xbox, play emulators, play games off the hard drive, etc. The ps3 is just now really entering into the homebrew world compared to xbox.

Besides, if I wanted to have a bluray player I would go buy a much cheaper bluray player.
It's not the religion that causes wars, it's the men who use religion as a means to control people that do.
They call me tater salad.
<<

brentbizzle

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Post Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:55 pm

Yes, in the future we will be streaming, but that is a LOOONG ways off. ISP's can't handle it. And not enough people even have access, let alone fast enough access. With the xbox, you'll be swapping discs for years to come while ps3 users set it, and forget it.

Just because the ps3 scene is newer than the xbox doesn't mean it's worthless. The scene is brand new and already you can just play games off of a HD... hell, I can buy a 3.5in 2TB drive and hook it up to my ps3 as an "internal" drive to keep my USB ports free. And all it takes to make your system legit is a simple reset.

But imagine if they had XBMC ported to the ps3... you then have a literal all-in-one solution, where as with a 360 you'd still need a bluray player.
<<

que13x

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:32 pm

Well kiss all that cool stuff goodbye on the PS3. Ever since they killed Linux I see no reason to install a larger drive in the PS3.

~George Hotz @ $ony
<<

BKFraiders7

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Location: On COD:BO2 iPhone User:5 Mac User: Macbook Pro Mtn Lion

Thanks given: 13 times

Thanks received: 31 times

Post Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:11 pm

brentbizzle wrote:there's so much potential with the ps3. the 360 is a dead end. microsoft will have to release a new console to keep up with technology while the hardware in the ps3 will be good for a while. blurays will get cheaper. developers will get back on board with sony.

and the homebrew... just wait until someone dumps the emotion engine...

and how is the xbox a dead end? I see no point or factual evidence suggesting that. If its dead, so is the PS3. In fact, Xbox is actually becoming more media friendly than PS3 with the new media additions its adding.

Also, your statement about Blu-Ray disks are also opinions and have no right in an argument. Face it, the worlds moving towards downloadable media rather than disks. Fragile disks. Breakable disks. Sorry, Blu-Rays are a fad that has already lived past its prime. 10 years from now you still wanna be carrying around disks? :/

Also the 25GB limit (yes, I know double layer yadda yadda yadda) BUT there isnt much more info per disk compared to the Xboxs limit. Why? The BluRays read speed sucks. So devs put the same data in different spots to make up for it. With all that storage and yall still have to install games to hard drives? pathetic example.
Watch me stream on MIXER or follow on Youtube at ChA0TiCxDR3AMS

Image Image
<<

The Cookie Monster

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 9 times

Thanks received: 54 times

Post Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:13 pm

que13x wrote:
brentbizzle wrote:there's so much potential with the ps3. the 360 is a dead end. microsoft will have to release a new console to keep up with technology while the hardware in the ps3 will be good for a while.
The irony here is that although the PS3 is the more powerful console, it isn't being used to it's potential.

It is at some places...
-Formerly DCM
PreviousNext

Return to General Chat