<<

monkeymaximus

Brewery Owner
Brewery Owner

Thanks given: 50 times

Thanks received: 40 times

Post Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:49 am

Re: The Black Quiz

Obama is african American IMHO. If he denounced his heritage it was to deal with people that dont understand the difference of someone born there and from there.
[img]https://brewology.com/images/mm/monkeymaximus.jpg[/img]
http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/8907/monkeymaximus2ph.jpg
<<

que13x

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 1

Thanks received: 6 times

Post Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:54 pm

crait wrote:
que13x wrote:I can understand how you feel so I only go as far as saying most dark or black people originate from Africa even the ones from Haiti and Tierra Del Fuego and the Aboriginal peoples from the region of Oceania.

I don't see how you can still say that. Even if everyone eventually came from Africa, that doesn't make you African. There comes a point where you are no longer associated with a specific country or region once you culturally or genetically differ greatly enough, or are an offspring of an Nth generation. For instance, you don't hear someone say that they are 1/512th Romanian. Or 1/256th Italian.

que13x wrote:However, the straight haired blacks with fine features that originate from India are an enigma to me.

Black is just a color of skin. Which is the whole point of this post. People all over the world have black skin and they are black, not African American. There are some African Americans that are black, and there are some that are white.

Ok now to put this all back in context I was continuing from this thought:
que13x wrote:Although stating that someone is not African American because they are from another country is accurate the bottom line is that just about all dark skinned people originate from Africa.

Now to quote you(again)
crait wrote:There comes a point where you are no longer associated with a specific country or region once you culturally or genetically differ greatly enough, or are an offspring of an Nth generation. For instance, you don't hear someone say that they are 1/512th Romanian. Or 1/256th Italian.
Which now begs the question why if "There comes a point where you are no longer associated with a specific country or region" did you make this thread to begin with?
I think you think black people just appeared out of nowhere ie: 2 people inexplicably gave birth to a black baby at some point all over the world. All I am saying is that all blacks originate from Africa at some point.

According to the quiz, Obama is not African but Condolezza is? I don't think anyone reading this is naive enough to go along with that. Condolezza couldn't name a single close relative from Africa but Obama has, thus the quiz is moot along with your point as well.
The programmers you will one day be looking to hire are the ones reading the tech news sites right now.

And they will remember...

~George Hotz @ $ony
<<

crait

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Thanks given: 195 times

Thanks received: 50 times

Post Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:15 pm

que13x wrote:All I am saying is that all blacks originate from Africa at some point.

It sounded to me that you were saying that all people originate from Africa. Whether or not it's true, it makes no difference. You do not go around calling everyone you see African just because you suspect this being true. Even if it is true, it's an absurd statement to make.
If I'm reading what you're saying wrong, then I would love for you or anyone to prove to me that all blacks come from Africa while whites come from somewhere else.

que13x wrote:According to the quiz, Obama is not African but Condolezza is? I don't think anyone reading this is naive enough to go along with that. Condolezza couldn't name a single close relative from Africa but Obama has, thus the quiz is moot along with your point as well.

The point is that some people will allow themselves to be called African Americans and some will tell us not to call them that. We must respect that decision. Just as if I moved to Texas and lived here for most of my life, but was born in California, I call myself a Texan. You can't argue with me and tell me that I'm not because I've told you that I am.
Barack Obama has stated that he is not of any country besides America, like I have before Barack Obama was ever running for presidential elections. I am not European. I am not Scandinavian. I am American.
Condolezza will call herself African American because she wishes to look far enough into her ancestry to do so, while others like myself will not.

The point of this thread was clear when it was made and still is strong. Not all blacks are African American. Not all African Americans are black. Now, I would love for you or anyone to prove to me that all blacks come from Africa while whites come from somewhere else, if I'm wrong. But, being black just means that you have black skin and it can occur anywhere in the world.
<<

que13x

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 1

Thanks received: 6 times

Post Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:20 pm

que13x wrote:I think you think black people just appeared out of nowhere ie: 2 people inexplicably gave birth to a black baby at some point all over the world.
crait wrote:being black just means that you have black skin and it can occur anywhere in the world.
LOL!!

Read carefully :wink: http://www.actionbioscience.org/evolution/johanson.html
The programmers you will one day be looking to hire are the ones reading the tech news sites right now.

And they will remember...

~George Hotz @ $ony
<<

crait

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Thanks given: 195 times

Thanks received: 50 times

Post Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:21 pm

Ugh... Why aren't you reading my posts? Why can't the first humans be white skinned? And if they weren't and some turned white, then white people can turn back to black over generations. Have you not read my posts?
People don't just give birth to blacks. The skin changes subtly from parent to child in one way or another. I never said it is just spontaneous like you are implying.
<<

ace

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Thanks given: 10 times

Thanks received: 29 times

Post Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:19 pm

I'd like to interject one of the many definitions from merriam webster for nationality:
Merriam Webster wrote:3 a : national status; specifically : a legal relationship involving allegiance on the part of an individual and usually protection on the part of the state

And here is one of the examples that are listed:
Merriam Webster wrote:She's American, but her parents are of Japanese nationality.

I know there are other definitions that go along the lines of origin, but based off that particular meaning is where I derive my opinion ;)
It's not the religion that causes wars, it's the men who use religion as a means to control people that do.
They call me tater salad.
Previous

Return to General Chat