Forum    News    Downloads    Saved Games


Piracy: Why It is Not Only Better for Industry, but Ethical

<<

crait

User avatar

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Posts: 6488

Joined: August 11 2006

Location: Narnia!

Thanks given: 195 times

Thanks received: 46 times

Post Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:18 am

Re: Piracy: Why It is Not Only Better for Industry, but Ethi

Yeah, but how many of those 40+ games do you actually think are worth the money? Did you even play the entire games?
The industry is selling games for full price that don't deserve a $5 price tag. These games suck and you're tricked into buying them without a demo of some kind. And when pirating comes around and you get to try the game for free, you find out that it is horrible and you don't play it ever again.
If you bought 2 games and downloaded 2 games from the same company, and 3 of them are absolutely rubbish and 1 is actually worth the price of one of the first two games, then you've still overpaid. Piracy isn't just about getting games for free because not everyone plays the games they pirate. Pirating is also about testing games to see if they are worth the price.
<<

Alex Finlay

User avatar

Brewery Master
Brewery Master

Posts: 1063

Joined: January 31 2009

Location: My Hardrive sorting out Files.

Thanks given: 1

Thanks received: 2 times

Post Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:18 am

Re: Piracy: Why It is Not Only Better for Industry, but Ethi

crait wrote:Yeah, but how many of those 40+ games do you actually think are worth the money? Did you even play the entire games?
The industry is selling games for full price that don't deserve a $5 price tag. These games suck and you're tricked into buying them without a demo of some kind. And when pirating comes around and you get to try the game for free, you find out that it is horrible and you don't play it ever again.
If you bought 2 games and downloaded 2 games from the same company, and 3 of them are absolutely rubbish and 1 is actually worth the price of one of the first two games, then you've still overpaid. Piracy isn't just about getting games for free because not everyone plays the games they pirate. Pirating is also about testing games to see if they are worth the price.


a good 20 outof the 30 are worth the money.
Being redone
<<

False_chicken

User avatar

Experienced Brewer
Experienced Brewer

Posts: 247

Joined: May 07 2006

Location: Tavares, Florida, USA

Thanks given: 5 times

Thanks received: 11 times

Post Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:59 pm

Re: Piracy: Why It is Not Only Better for Industry, but Ethi

crait wrote:Yeah, but how many of those 40+ games do you actually think are worth the money? Did you even play the entire games?
The industry is selling games for full price that don't deserve a $5 price tag. These games suck and you're tricked into buying them without a demo of some kind. And when pirating comes around and you get to try the game for free, you find out that it is horrible and you don't play it ever again.
If you bought 2 games and downloaded 2 games from the same company, and 3 of them are absolutely rubbish and 1 is actually worth the price of one of the first two games, then you've still overpaid. Piracy isn't just about getting games for free because not everyone plays the games they pirate. Pirating is also about testing games to see if they are worth the price.


Your not really "tricked" into buying anything. That's why reviewers are around. I am not going to lie. I pirate many things. As far as it helping the company it really depends. If the company is large enough it very well may. But imagine if those indie developers. They really have no money or studio backing so if there game gets pirated they could easily go under. especially if it is a single player experience and really has no reason to buy it after you played it. And honestly, I don't know anyone personally who pirates a game then buys it unless it is REQUIRED to play online. Hell I know three people who have Modded 360s Who have like 50+ games. About 30 of them AAA titles. And own like 2 legit games. Those 30 are definitely worth the money.
<<

crait

User avatar

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Posts: 6488

Joined: August 11 2006

Location: Narnia!

Thanks given: 195 times

Thanks received: 46 times

Post Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:42 pm

Re: Piracy: Why It is Not Only Better for Industry, but Ethi

Minecraft.


It got popular just because of piracy.
<<

False_chicken

User avatar

Experienced Brewer
Experienced Brewer

Posts: 247

Joined: May 07 2006

Location: Tavares, Florida, USA

Thanks given: 5 times

Thanks received: 11 times

Post Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:52 pm

Re: Piracy: Why It is Not Only Better for Industry, but Ethi

crait wrote:Minecraft.


It got popular just because of piracy.


Where does this argument come from? They have no figures on how many copies where pirated. And the first versions where and still are free. Which I am sure helped people with their decision to purchase it.
<<

crait

User avatar

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Posts: 6488

Joined: August 11 2006

Location: Narnia!

Thanks given: 195 times

Thanks received: 46 times

Post Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:03 pm

Re: Piracy: Why It is Not Only Better for Industry, but Ethi

The game has no objectives, no goals, and didn't even have sound when it became a pay-to-download game. It gained a tiny bit of popularity and a lot of people heard about it and started looking for torrents to pirate the game to test it out. They got it and passed the word along and even some of them mirrored the pirated version. This happened for quite a while until Minecraft hit mainstream and people started paying for it legitimately.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/160 ... t-pirates/
Read through the official MineCraft forum. Most people heard about it and then torrented it to try it out.
<<

False_chicken

User avatar

Experienced Brewer
Experienced Brewer

Posts: 247

Joined: May 07 2006

Location: Tavares, Florida, USA

Thanks given: 5 times

Thanks received: 11 times

Post Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:29 pm

Re: Piracy: Why It is Not Only Better for Industry, but Ethi

crait wrote:The game has no objectives, no goals, and didn't even have sound when it became a pay-to-download game. It gained a tiny bit of popularity and a lot of people heard about it and started looking for torrents to pirate the game to test it out. They got it and passed the word along and even some of them mirrored the pirated version. This happened for quite a while until Minecraft hit mainstream and people started paying for it legitimately.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/160 ... t-pirates/
Read through the official MineCraft forum. Most people heard about it and then torrented it to try it out.


Ah. There is a good example of piracy as a helping factor. But that also has the multiplayer aspect that I mentioned. If it didn't have Survival Multiplayer there would really be no reason for anyone who pirated it to buy it. There would be no incentive. Allot of what I saw on the forum was the mentioning of the multiplater aspect and how pirates are missing out. Don't get me wrong. I'm no on some high horse shouting about piracy being that cancer that's killing everything lol. Because I do it too. But people need incentives. Its really up to the developer to provide this. In the world today its necessary
<<

crait

User avatar

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Posts: 6488

Joined: August 11 2006

Location: Narnia!

Thanks given: 195 times

Thanks received: 46 times

Post Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:13 pm

Re: Piracy: Why It is Not Only Better for Industry, but Ethi

There ya' go, again. :P Like I said, that isn't the intention of most people. Most people aren't pirating to get the entire game without pay.
Consider this: What do you do if you do not enjoy playing a game that you pirated? You delete it.
That's what I do and that's the central focus. The majority of games that are pirated are deleted or not used. But, people still count the download and a potential loss. That's why companies can get away with saying that more than 75% of their copies have been pirated. And when you look at the slim amount of people who continue using the game without paying for it, you will see that they are mostly people who would not have bought it if there wasn't a way to pirate it.
If I tell you that I hate a certain game but find out that there's a way to pirate it, so I do to try it and find out that I love the game and continue playing it, is that a loss for the publisher? Nope. Because it was never a potential gain.
<<

False_chicken

User avatar

Experienced Brewer
Experienced Brewer

Posts: 247

Joined: May 07 2006

Location: Tavares, Florida, USA

Thanks given: 5 times

Thanks received: 11 times

Post Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:44 pm

Re: Piracy: Why It is Not Only Better for Industry, but Ethi

crait wrote:There ya' go, again. :P Like I said, that isn't the intention of most people. Most people aren't pirating to get the entire game without pay.
Consider this: What do you do if you do not enjoy playing a game that you pirated? You delete it.
That's what I do and that's the central focus. The majority of games that are pirated are deleted or not used. But, people still count the download and a potential loss. That's why companies can get away with saying that more than 75% of their copies have been pirated. And when you look at the slim amount of people who continue using the game without paying for it, you will see that they are mostly people who would not have bought it if there wasn't a way to pirate it.
If I tell you that I hate a certain game but find out that there's a way to pirate it, so I do to try it and find out that I love the game and continue playing it, is that a loss for the publisher? Nope. Because it was never a potential gain.


I see your point lol. But Like I said I know three working people who can most defiantly afford games for their Xboxs but don't. They just pirate everything. And they only have that mindset that they can do so because it exists. Its simply easier to pirate. In fact one of them has a modded Wii and PS2 and they own no games at all for those. They bought them JUST because they can mod them and get free games. What if that idea spreads more like it is? What if 50% or more people started. I know when people see my original Xbox or Wii and see some of the games I have on the HD they instantly ask me to do it for them. Many try to pay me. But I decline because I hate doing tech support lol. Its true that in that scenario they don't loose anything but they don't make money either. And they need to constantly make money to stay afloat. Because they are constantly loosing money paying employees, Marketing, Licensing costs, Etc. Like the video I posted said. Even these "tricked" sales occur they rely on those to make another game. If there game really does suck watch a review then decide. And if you wanted a demo first let them know you didn't get their product because they didn't release a demo. If everyone says that next time they will release one.
<<

crait

User avatar

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Posts: 6488

Joined: August 11 2006

Location: Narnia!

Thanks given: 195 times

Thanks received: 46 times

Post Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:01 am

Re: Piracy: Why It is Not Only Better for Industry, but Ethi

The problem with telling a company that you didn't get a game because there was no demo is big. First of all, the company isn't going to listen and not enough people are going to speak up to make the company listen. Secondly, I'm not going to try a game because there is no demo. I'll torrent it and try it and decide if I'm going to buy it or not.
When I do buy it, I buy the game new. Publishers make the price of games very expensive and the amount of money they get from me, even though I hate paying for others, covers the cost of me getting the game and one or two people that pirated the game that are potential buyers.

And like you said, your friend got a Wii that he otherwise wouldn't? That means he wasn't a potential gain and in fact, Nintendo made money off of him because he bought a Wii. They made more off of him because he pirates than they would if he didn't. :)
<<

False_chicken

User avatar

Experienced Brewer
Experienced Brewer

Posts: 247

Joined: May 07 2006

Location: Tavares, Florida, USA

Thanks given: 5 times

Thanks received: 11 times

Post Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:11 am

Re: Piracy: Why It is Not Only Better for Industry, but Ethi

That may be true. It may help the industry at times. But I don't see how that is ethical. Buying a console just to pirate games. Although its not technically "Stealing" it is using someones intellectual property against their wishes. Without paying for the right to do so. Which I am sure most people would say is bad as the definition of ethical states "Pertaining to or dealing with morals or the principles of morality; pertaining to right and wrong in conduct." I would think the majority would say that falls under wrong.
<<

crait

User avatar

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Posts: 6488

Joined: August 11 2006

Location: Narnia!

Thanks given: 195 times

Thanks received: 46 times

Post Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:52 am

Re: Piracy: Why It is Not Only Better for Industry, but Ethi

The point is that it is ethical in the sense that you're not always intending to do harm to a company by pirating and trying out a game like I had already explained because the company, in return, gains more money than they would without pirating. :) It becomes ethical whenever the consumer is taking the time to help out the company. :D
<<

False_chicken

User avatar

Experienced Brewer
Experienced Brewer

Posts: 247

Joined: May 07 2006

Location: Tavares, Florida, USA

Thanks given: 5 times

Thanks received: 11 times

Post Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:15 am

Re: Piracy: Why It is Not Only Better for Industry, but Ethi

In a perfect world that would work. But not everybody does that. Of the people I know not one downloads the games with the intent to test. They download just to acquire the game. And I don't think anyone downloads a game with the intent to harm the company. They just want the game. I am sure people do download with the intent to test. I do it sometimes to ensure a title will run on my PC. If the vast majority did the same it could be said to be ethical. But many people don't.

The same example goes for guns. Many people view guns as a bad thing. Because people use them for crimes. But they also provide protection. Yet fewer people seem to believe this side of the argument. So really in the end I would say that the torrent protocol is a tool. Like a gun. It has a purpose. Depending on how it is used is how it is defined in a moral sense. And since the act has been labeled "Piracy" akin to pirates. The majority seems to think its immoral. And really it is the majority that defines the code of ethics in society. So therefore I believe it is considered unethical.
<<

Cypherous

Experienced Brewer
Experienced Brewer

Posts: 158

Joined: October 12 2010

Thanks given: 1

Thanks received: 24 times

Post Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:21 am

Re: Piracy: Why It is Not Only Better for Industry, but Ethi

False_chicken wrote:
Your not really "tricked" into buying anything. That's why reviewers are around.


Most reviews are biast and you can't really trust it, i've read reviews of games that praised a game and it turned out to be complete rubbish :)
<<

False_chicken

User avatar

Experienced Brewer
Experienced Brewer

Posts: 247

Joined: May 07 2006

Location: Tavares, Florida, USA

Thanks given: 5 times

Thanks received: 11 times

Post Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:27 am

Re: Piracy: Why It is Not Only Better for Industry, but Ethi

Cypherous wrote:
False_chicken wrote:
Your not really "tricked" into buying anything. That's why reviewers are around.


Most reviews are biast and you can't really trust it, i've read reviews of games that praised a game and it turned out to be complete rubbish :)



Thats why there are more than one source lol. Plus the multitude of reviewers on YouTube. I personally prefer GameTrailers. They have never steered me wrong lol.
PreviousNext

Return to General Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 34 guests

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software for blacklist.org.