<<

FireFoxx

Brewery Master
Brewery Master

Thanks given: 0

Thanks received: 0

Post Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:04 pm

Dry Ice-Cream

I found this while I was searching the web for a science project, it is pretty interesting so i chose to do my project on this.

Quote:

"Skip the fancy ice-cream maker—all you need is a pillowcase and a fire extinguisher.As liquid Evaporates, it gets cold. This effect, familiar to anyone who has been wet, happens because it takes energy to turn a liquid into a gas, and that energy comes from heat drawn out of the liquid. How that interaction works is one of the most complicated subjects in science, but what’s important is that it can be used to make ice cream.

Now, you can’t just let cream evaporate and expect to get ice cream. Water in the open air won’t freeze from evaporation alone. But evaporating pressurized liquid carbon dioxide (CO2) draws so much energy out of it that about a third ends up frozen solid: That’s dry ice.

Where do you get a tank of liquid CO2? From a fire-equipment dealer, of course (try smokesign.com). Discharge a 10-pound CO2 fire extinguisher full blast into a pillowcase for about 10 seconds, and you’ll have several pounds of finely powdered dry ice. (Don’t play with it though. Dry ice can give you frostbite in a few seconds.)

Then it’s a simple matter of pouring it into a bowl of ice-cream ingredients—two cups each of half-and-half and heavy cream, two eggs, three quarters of a cup of sugar, two teaspoons of vanilla and a dash of salt—and stirring until frozen. Add the dry ice slowly to avoid hard-as-rock syndrome. I had to microwave my batch to get it back to merely frozen.

So is it edible? Because they’re in­tended to be used in restaurant kitchens, CO2 fire extinguishers are usually filled with food-grade CO2. (Do not try this with a dry-chemical fire extinguisher.)

The result is … interesting. Carbon dioxide is what makes soda fizz, so the ice cream actually comes out carbonated. Not bad, but don’t expect to see CO2 Crunch in the ice-cream case."
-Popular Science
http://www.popsci.com/popsci/how20/289ac50bc45cc010vgnvcm1000004eecbccdrcrd.html

This topic will definatly be a cool science project, i am thinking of demonstrating it during my presentation :)
<<

TK421

Super Brewer
Super Brewer

Post Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:05 pm

YEa...I read this in PopSci when it first came out!
XBOX 360 Gamertag: KMC YOUNGBOY
<<

FireFoxx

Brewery Master
Brewery Master

Post Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:06 pm

have u tried it out?
<<

Mailas

Post Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:30 pm

Thats amazing stuff!!! I never thought you could do that haha.
Man you're good at finding good stuff lol.
<<

doggfoodgangster

Super Brewer
Super Brewer

Post Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:38 am

My 8th grade science teacher did this. Or something similar. Yes it works, And I think you can get the CO2 from any paintball-oriented store.
<<

nemesis91101

Brewery Master
Brewery Master

Post Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:42 pm

if you plan to get it from a store then u gotta have a tank with an on-off valve but letting gas escape that fast will freeze over the tank.
If you want free DUN or any other hacks or questions about and for your cell phone especially the lg8700(thats what i got) from verizon checkout howardforums.com i am there by the same name!
<<

Mraks

Young Brewer

Post Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:22 pm

Re: Dry Ice-Cream

its very cool

Return to General Chat