<<

crait

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Thanks given: 195 times

Thanks received: 50 times

Post Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:25 pm

BioShock Was Cool

BioShock is a first person shooter that has many gameplay elements of a role-playing game. The mix of RPG and FPS elements are very reminiscent of Fallout 3, or Fallout 3: New Vegas. The player plays as Jack who is going through an underwater city known as Rapture in 1960. The playable world is a dystopia, and more information about the world, and depth of the back-story, is completely up to the player to acquire.
Like the choice given to a player for learning more about the back-story, the player is also given a choice about the story-line that they play through. BioShock has a total of 3 different endings to the game, depending if a player ‘harvested’ the Little Sisters, who are throughout the game. You use many different weapons like most FPS games, including plasmids, which are body manipulations through genetic modification, such as shooting bursts of air, telekinesis, shooting ice, or other effects, giving this game a more science fiction feel to it. The player must use stealth tactics, to avoid being detected by enemies or cameras while exploring Rapture. Money can also be acquired to buy more plasmids or additional ammunition, used to defeat enemies.
Besides the story, this game has also received praise for its artsy style, because the use of sound and visual art to segway the player into the storyline of the game. This game has a beautiful setting that is golden, blue, and black throughout the entire game. At times, it is bright, but most of the time, it is dark and mysterious. The maps make the player wonder about the world around them in order to entice them to into finding out more about the story. Of course, the story-line is not important to the gameplay and the player can play through the game without being bothered by storyline-driven elements. The game has grudge-like surroundings: which is makes the enemies very suitable and fit the theme.
The Little Sisters can be harvested for ADAM, which allows a player to gain more plasmids. However, because the user can decide to keep them alive and receive less ADAM, the player is faced with an uncomfortable choice. This choice is the major factor in deciding the ending to the game that the player experiences. I believe that the designer of this game decided to allow people to not have to go through such a dark story if they were not comfortable with that decision, but at the same time, allowing the integrity of the game to still remain intact. This game seems as though it was created for the depth and unique story-line it has. In fact, a film is in production, based on BioShock’s storyline. Including the film, a sequel has been made, and another is in production.
Another gameplay element in this game is used when hacking vending machines or unlocking doors… Mini-games open to represent the feel of actually hacking through something. Whenever completing these mini-games, the user is rewarded with things such as a discounted price rate or access to other parts of the level. Unfortunately, this game creates a flow that is broken whenever a player dies or enters one of these minigames.
<<

AdventWolf

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 5 times

Thanks received: 10 times

Post Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:23 pm

Re: BioShock Was Cool

I just vouched for this game to you, I loved 1 and 2. The next BioShock is coming out next year I think. BioShock Infinite.
<<

Kanadier

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Thanks given: 2 times

Thanks received: 60 times

Post Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:35 pm

I could never get into it; the same way I couldn't get into Assassin's creed or Dragon age. It's just not my thing I guess... Sucks.
<<

irishdragon85

Experienced Brewer
Experienced Brewer

Thanks given: 16 times

Thanks received: 7 times

Post Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:21 pm

i played both one and two and i enjoyed them both, HOWEVER i only beat one i wound up hurting for money and i took BioShock 2 up to gamestop and traded it in. as for Dragon Age BioWare lost my patronage when they made Dragon Age Origins Awakening. and as for Assassin's Creed i love AC1 (even though i never beat it long story behind that one) and AC2 haven't played AC:brotherhood yet although i want to :P and i can't wait for infinite to come out.
<<

False_chicken

Experienced Brewer
Experienced Brewer

Thanks received: 12 times

Post Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:34 pm

I enjoyed them both. But I liked the first one better. I just felt like I had done all this before when I played the second one. Then again it was not developed by (Or at least what was) Irrational Games so I didn't expect it to be as good. But Bioshock Infinite looks absolutely sick! Too bad we have to wait till 2012 for it :(
<<

AdventWolf

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks received: 10 times

Post Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:07 pm

I just played Bioshock over again on survivor, still a great game!

Return to Computer Chat