Forum    News    Downloads    Saved Games

[Tutorial] Install CFW Without a 2nd PSP!

<<

Jakers

Thanks given: 0

Thanks received: 0

Post Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:59 pm

lost

Followed all the steps (at least I thought I was) and I've tried it twice so far, I am running a 3.8 OFW and I used the Universal Unbricker option to install my CFW and I get through all the steps then I come across this error.

Target DRIVE is 2
Check Partation Sector
Cannot open device \\.PHYSICALDRIVE2
Can't read partation sector
Press any key to continue...

Any ideas on what I could be doing wrong? I'm using a 1gb sandisk mem card

*EDIT* I'm Running Windows Vista, can this be the problem?
<<

Kaishounashi

Post Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:41 am

AdventWolf wrote:Did the people with the blank screens try pressing the brightness button? Or did that not work?

I didn't even think of that at the time, that probably would've been a good idea. I only have one Memory Stick Pro Duo card and it's full of stuff right now (I was able to get some emus/a couple of my old ps1 games on there), but I might try to recreate the 'magic memory stick' just for the sake of checking the brightness setting.

Btw, did anyone ever figure out what key the 'backup' NAND function was? I'm wondering if I can still make a backup of it even now that i've installed the custom firmware. If so, will I be making a backup of a customized NAND and will that still help me should I somehow end up bricking my PSP in the future?
<<

AdventWolf

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 5 times

Thanks received: 10 times

Post Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:34 am

Re: lost

Jakers wrote:Followed all the steps (at least I thought I was) and I've tried it twice so far, I am running a 3.8 OFW and I used the Universal Unbricker option to install my CFW and I get through all the steps then I come across this error.

Target DRIVE is 2
Check Partation Sector
Cannot open device \\.PHYSICALDRIVE2
Can't read partation sector
Press any key to continue...

Any ideas on what I could be doing wrong? I'm using a 1gb sandisk mem card

*EDIT* I'm Running Windows Vista, can this be the problem?

Probably, but I'm not sure. Try googling teh problem.
<<

Jakers

Post Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:15 am

Yup it was Vista, setup my old XP and it worked perfectly!
<<

mrsmr2

Post Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:02 pm

Deed done. Thanks for the tutorial.

Background:
I have a slim which came with 3.90, a SanDisk 2GB ms, and a Datel service battery.

I followed the instructions and selected option 4 from the installer (3.71 and recovery mode).

When it came to installing the firmware I had the expected blank screen of doom. I pressed [] and the memory stick started flashing - this was dumping the NAND. It shut off so I reinserted the battery.

Again, a blank screen so I pressed X to install the firmware.

Once all was installed (takes a few minutes), I removed the battery and ms, rebooted, and my PSP had the correct custom firmware installed.

So, even with the blank screen, as long as you know the correct buttons, the tutorial works fine - so don't panic.
<<

DarkPacMan77

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Thanks given: 13 times

Thanks received: 18 times

Post Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:42 am

mrsmr2 wrote:So, even with the blank screen, as long as you know the correct buttons, the tutorial works fine - so don't panic.

Those are some wise words. A lot of people don't know what to do when they get to that point. Good thing you figured it all out!

-DarkPacMan77-
D3ViLsAdvocate wrote:Try shaking the salt harder onto your tongue.
<<

thewizardoffozz

Young Brewer

Post Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:49 pm

works...question...

i created the pandora battery using this method it worked awesomely thanks a mill.
magic stick creation worked on both a SanDisk 4GB Memory Stick and a RapidGX 2GB Memory Stick if anyone was wondering about those cards.
a question i have is regarding the pandora battery, i created it without the switch so does that mean it no longer works as a normal battery and how do i charge it?

other than that thanks a lot Brentbizzle sorry to cockjock...
...i should have wings by now...
<<

erccccc

Experienced Brewer
Experienced Brewer

Post Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:54 am

Re: works...question...

thewizardoffozz wrote:i created the pandora battery using this method it worked awesomely thanks a mill.
magic stick creation worked on both a SanDisk 4GB Memory Stick and a RapidGX 2GB Memory Stick if anyone was wondering about those cards.
a question i have is regarding the pandora battery, i created it without the switch so does that mean it no longer works as a normal battery and how do i charge it?

other than that thanks a lot Brentbizzle sorry to cockjock...

Im not 100% sure but my guess is you can use the pandora's battery maker (its an app on the magic mem stick) to reverse even a hardmoded battery back to normal. I havnt personally tried it only because I would rather have a Pandora's on hand at all times.

*Edit If any tries that post I would like to know if the battery is normal. My guess is it will work but might be a little bit screwed up.
<<

thewizardoffozz

Young Brewer

Post Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:20 am

the pandory battery maker is a nice tool but unfortunately it doesn't allow for the recovery of a hard-modded battery, but i used another program to adjust the ipl and making the battery normal in just this psp
<<

erccccc

Experienced Brewer
Experienced Brewer

Post Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:33 am

What Program could that be. It would be good to know
<<

thewizardoffozz

Young Brewer

Post Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:41 am

erccccc wrote:What Program could that be. It would be good to know

upsmv4 www.noob911.com

its just i mentioned it in another and i dont want to come off as spamming about it or nothing.
<<

erccccc

Experienced Brewer
Experienced Brewer

Post Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:46 am

Yeah I literally saw your other post 3 seconds after I asked what the program was called. Its a good thing to know though because someone was asking if you could change your Pandora's back to normal, Infact its amasing because all you have to do is remove the memory stick and your battery is once again a Pandora's, I think this makes the whole Pandora's with a switch almost obsolete because you can Hardmod in 2 seconds.
<<

Golden

Young Brewer

Post Thu May 15, 2008 6:36 pm

Help!!!

2nd Edit: Worked. Thank you.
<<

Zantetsuken

Young Brewer

Post Wed May 28, 2008 5:48 am

Hey chaps had my PSP for a while and its running OFW 3.95 and I wanna get some CFW on it, this tutorial looks like it will work so I'm gonna give it a shot.

I'm gonna get the Datel battery service tool and convert my battery to a service battery but I have 3 questions before I give it a shot.

1.What firmware does this install?

2.Will the firmware enable me to play roms and homebrew?

3.When I convert my battery back to a standard one, will the CFW be sat on my PSP waiting?

Thanks chaps.
Sit your donkey down and drink your goddam tea.
<<

roxfox64

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks received: 2 times

Post Wed May 28, 2008 6:20 am

1.) 3.71 M33.
2.) Yes.
3.) Yes.
5.00M33-6
Image Veemon