Forum    News    Downloads    Saved Games

[Tutorial] Install CFW Without a 2nd PSP!

<<

shinku

Thanks given: 0

Thanks received: 0

Post Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:20 am

Suway wrote:I got back from holiday.
Gave it another go.
I still get the green power light and a black screen.
Nothing else.
I've tried using my build-in card reader and via usb connection.
I think something is going wrong with the creating of the magic memory stick.
Could someone PLEASE just make a folder with all the necesary files in it, so I can just open the folder and paste those files in my MS, and upload that?
This is driving me crazy..

ya that would help meed to i also get a blackscreen of doom

it has to be the memstick.
<<

Muck0nator

Young Brewer

Post Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:08 am

is there anyway to tell if your memory stick will work before making the pandoras battery?
<<

Salzgablah

Experienced Brewer
Experienced Brewer

Post Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:11 pm

it worked wonders! i had to try and cut the lil peice 3 or 4 times because i guess i left a little piece. Saw TWO seperate sparks and everything still worked. Battery didnt fry or anything. Just wanted to say thanks! now i need to figure out how to install CFW again
<<

blackzmage

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:21 pm

Re: Not working.

Suway wrote:Hey,
I just did your tutorial, and when I inserted the MS and the battery, nothing happened.
The power light was green, but the screen just stayed black.
I'm using a Tool service mode battery and a 4 GB Memory Stick PRO Duo from Sony.
I was hoping you could tell me what I did wrong.
The PSP I own is a Slim model and the Firmware verion is 3.80.
I'll just tell you exactly what I did.
I started by formatting my Memory Stick.
Then I unzipped the totalnewbieeasyinstaller, and executed the START application.
Entered all the information, picked 3 on Pandora Menu (Slim Pandora).
Then at some point I got :
Target DRIVE is 3
Check partation Sector
Cannot open \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE3
And that's the only part I think would have caused it to fail.
I've been trying to get CFW on my PSP for months now.

this is a Pandora's Battery Tutorial, not a Desperado del cemitario tutorial. So if you have a Slim PSP (PSP-200x) it will not work.
<<

steve the pirate

Post Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:23 pm

help

i followed the tutorial and modded the old batt and made the mem stick and used it and the screen turned black and did nothing on my slim which the vid says is okay to use the old batt now this is not what im worried about what im worried about is when i put my normal mem stick in and the nomal slim batt it powers on for a min and the screen stays black and then it powers off i hope there is a solution to this problem.
<<

Jakers

Post Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:28 pm

Double Checking

Just got my Slim PSP with FW 3.80, and so far what I've been reading is that it is possible with this FW and type of PSP, just to use a 1GB or less MS. I was just about to order a 4GB MS but what I've read is that it is not ideal. My Datel Tool Battery should be in at the end of this week and I'm just kinda going through the forums and seeing which tutorial fits me, it appears to be this one. Now I guess my question would be is with what I have stated this should in theory work out fine, and I should be able to play .cso files on the PSP, would this be a true statement? Any replies would be much appreciated.
~Jake
<<

Kaishounashi

Post Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:09 pm

okay, so I followed the steps of this tutorial precisely and managed to make both the modded battery and the 'magic memory stick' out.

- The battery (model no PSP-S110) was made using the PSP battery that came with my PSP slim).
- The memory stick I used was a 2GB Sandisk Memory Stick Pro Duo.

After popping in the memory stick and then the modded battery my PSP powered on and I received the black screen everyone else with a 2GB+ stick has been receiving. At that point I figured i'd have to wait until I was able to acquire a smaller capacity stick but I pressed 'X' on the PSP and the access light for the memory stick duo started blinking on and off repatedly. I figured i'd let it sit for a few to see what would happen and after a short while (maybe less than a minute) it shut off on me. I went ahead an popped in an unmodified battery (I bought a PSP extended life battery to take the place of the 'Pandora Battery' I was making) and the system booted up fine. I then checked the 'System Information' on the PSP and it states the following:

System Software : 3.71 M33
Nickname: Xi-Bit

It also shows the MAc address as usual.

Anyhow, I went ahead and connected the PSP in USB mode and found a text file named M33_371_INSTALL_LOG.txt in the PSP.

Rather than make this post longer than it is, you can click here for te contents of the text file:

http://pastebin.com/f935bbd8

My question was whether I screwed something up since I guess by inadvertently installing the firmware and not backing up the NAND like the video tutorial suggests I do. Is there a way to start over or should I proceed from here? I mainly want the PSP to play emulators and my old PS1 games. I tried using some of the emus available on the main PSPbrew.com custom brew packs page (such as MAME, SNES9x, NesterJ) and whenever I would try to run these I'd get an error message stating 'The game could not be started (80020148). Thanks in advance for any tips/suggestions.

Addendum: Forgot to add that I can still play official PSP UMD games at the moment, though so far I've only tried older games (Guilty Gear Judgment is the latest).
<<

roxfox64

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks received: 2 times

Post Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:24 pm

the install log said it was succesful so I guess it was.
You need f-to do the time machine 1.50 kernel thing.
5.00M33-6
Image Veemon
<<

Kaishounashi

Post Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:28 pm

roxfox64 wrote:the install log said it was succesful so I guess it was.
Do you have a slim?

Yeah, actually. That was the system I used this tutorial for. I forget what official firmware it had before the flashing, but I think it was 3.80.

Now I just gotta figure out what i'm doing wrong with the emulators. I remember reading somewhere that certain emus only work under certain firmware, is this true? I guess i'll be reading more of the tutorials to see what they say.
<<

mrsmr2

Post Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:13 am

I've read the guide and seen the concerns around larger size Memory Sticks. I have my Slim Pandora Battery on order and currently have a 2GB Sandisk memory stick. I have a few questions:

1) If I use this MS, will I be able to reformat it back to normal usage once I've flashed the firmware?;

2) If the answer is yes and I use it to make a magic stick, I'm guessing I'll get the same blank screen as everyone else using 2GB MSs. If I do, what button is pressed to dump the nand? I couldn't make it out clearly from the video (looks like it's the 3rd option down in the menu) - and it looks like its the left trigger that is pressed in the video.

Thanks
<<

AdventWolf

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 5 times

Thanks received: 10 times

Post Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:12 am

Yea can always reformat the MS to revert it back form pandora, unless you mess it up. And I don't know #2.
<<

DarkPacMan77

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Thanks given: 13 times

Thanks received: 18 times

Post Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:29 am

1.) Yes.
2.) I'm not 100% about what button off the top of my head, but it doesn't matter. Once you get to that menu, just don't press any buttons and read your options. There isn't a time limit on your selection, so make sure to use the correct function and you're good to go.

-DarkPacMan77-
D3ViLsAdvocate wrote:Try shaking the salt harder onto your tongue.
<<

mrsmr2

Post Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:11 pm

Great, thanks for the replies.

The reason for asking what button to press is that some people are reporting a blank screen instead of seeing the Pandora/service menu, even though the keys still work e.g. Kaishounashi above pressed X on the blank screen and the firmware seemed to install ok.

So, as I would like to dump the nand first, I need to know what key it is in case I have a blank screen as well.

I now think it's [] (the square key) but I would like someone to confirm this.

Thanks again.
<<

AdventWolf

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 5 times

Thanks received: 10 times

Post Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:42 am

Did the people with the blank screens try pressing the brightness button? Or did that not work?
<<

Jakers

Post Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:59 pm

lost

Followed all the steps (at least I thought I was) and I've tried it twice so far, I am running a 3.8 OFW and I used the Universal Unbricker option to install my CFW and I get through all the steps then I come across this error.

Target DRIVE is 2
Check Partation Sector
Cannot open device \\.PHYSICALDRIVE2
Can't read partation sector
Press any key to continue...

Any ideas on what I could be doing wrong? I'm using a 1gb sandisk mem card

*EDIT* I'm Running Windows Vista, can this be the problem?
PreviousNext

Return to PSP Tutorials