[Tutorial] - Downgrading version 3.03

<<

Puncharger

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 6 times

Thanks received: 10 times

Post Thu May 17, 2007 12:24 pm

i think he did this one fast.. cuz i spent like 3 hours on my ta-082 2.71 downgrade tutorial and it has the most views and pages..
<<

DarkPacMan77

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Thanks given: 13 times

Thanks received: 18 times

Post Fri May 18, 2007 1:53 am

Puncharger wrote:i think he did this one fast.. cuz i spent like 3 hours on my ta-082 2.71 downgrade tutorial and it has the most views and pages..

That strictly has to do with the frame of time in which the tutorial was posted. There was no need for any other downgrader when that one was posted lol. But anyways, I'd personally asked arto to make this tutorial. The bulk of it is ripped directly from the readme.txt file of the 303dg.rar ~ something which nobody looks at. The reason this was posted is so that people could post questions and receive help, which has worked. I may go back and edit it better sometime though.

also, congrats mikey ;)

-DarkPacMan77-
D3ViLsAdvocate wrote:Try shaking the salt harder onto your tongue.
<<

staxx

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 0

Thanks received: 2 times

Post Sat May 19, 2007 10:39 am

Yeah i remember having that same problem the first time i tried to downgrade...The keyword in the tutorial is contents of ms root. Meaning to copy whatever is inside the ms root folder to your psp's root. It took me a few reads to catch that part when i was troubleshooting my steps.
<<

Powerpunk 5000

Young Brewer

Thanks received: 0

Post Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:14 pm

Re: [Tutorial] - Downgrading version 3.03

arto14 wrote:here is clear-cut step by step directions on how to downgrade a 3.03 psp. this is directly from the downgrader. i did edit it a little bit and add pictures but is basicaly the same. here is the downgrader:
http://www.pspbrew.com/?page=fileInfo&cid=&d=3736

1 - If you have a 3.03 PSP skip to step 6

2 - Download 3.03 update from here: http://www.pspbrew.com/?page=fileInfo&cid=5296&d=3453

3 - Unzip and place the file in <pspdrive>:/PSP/GAME/UPDATE

4 - On the PSP, run the 3.03 update from the memory stick under the Game menu.

5 - Delete <pspdrive>:/PSP/GAME/UPDATE

6 - Copy the contents of the folder MS_ROOT from the 3.03 downgrader ZIP to
the memory stick

7 - Unzip the 1.50 update to a temporary folder. The 1.50 update can be
located here for download Rename the EBOOT.PBP to
UPDATE.PBP and copy it to <pspdrive>:/PSP/GAME/UPDATE/ . DO NOT
OVERWRITE PSP/GAME/UPDATE/EBOOT.PBP!

8 - Load GTA LCS

9 - It should get to loading savegame, then the screen will clear to black
and fill with a light blue colour, then the PSP will reset itself (if
this does not happen see section below)

10 - Check that HEN is running by going to system settings, then to
"System Information" and it should show up as system version
303 HEN

11 - If it is showing up as HEN then go to the memory stick and
run the x.yz update

12 - If you have an unpatched TA-082 or higher motherboard, you will be
prompted to allow the downgrader to patch your motherboard so it
can be safely downgraded. The downgrader will not let you proceed
without patching, if your motherboard requires it.

13 - Before the downgrader does anything to your PSP it will ask
for you to agree to what it is doing, if you no longer want to
continue press the Right Shoulder Button (R-TRIGGER).

14 - Once you have agreed to start the downgrade do not unplug the
PSP, or try and restart it

15 - Once finished the PSP will ask you to press X, and reset itself

16 - If it comes up saying that the settings are corrupt, press x
to continue, this will mean you will need to re-enter the
settings for network connections into your PSP, otherwise go to
step 18

(i dont rccomend this. i'd just use a custom firmware)

17 - Load the included NetConfigBackup application in your PSP, and select to
restore, this will take the backup that was done of the network config
that was done automatically during the downgrade.

18 - All done now :) Hopefully you now have a 1.50 PSP. Enjoy it responsibly.

Troubleshooting
---------------
- Ensure that you have the original GTA LCS, it should have a 2.00 update
on the UMD, if it does not then it is a later version and can not be used
to downgrade.

- If GTA does not load 3.03 HEN and it loads up a save game, try making
a backup copy of all of the directories in <pspdrive>:/PSP/SAVEDATA/
before deleting them. Then try copying the contents of the 303 HEN zip
to there.

- If when trying to restore the network config using netconf backup you
find that it gives you an error on the downgraded 1.50 PSP, try adding
a temporary network config, then deleting it and run the netconf backup
again.

( i put this in a tut so if nybody has a Q they can post it here)

Ok, I'm trying to upgrade my 2.81 to 3.03 so I can downgrade to 1.5. A few questions from someone who's really confused:

If the link in step 2 is for the 3.03 upgrade, what is the first link (after the very first paragraph) for???

Second, in my folders for my PSP, I have no folder in the GAME folder titles "UPDATE." I tried creating it, and putting the 3.03 update from the link in step 2 (it was one file, and I didn't have to use any zip program to get it...) in it, and on my PSP it says "corrupted data."

Also, do you get a folder called "MS_ROOT" as mentioned from the file or is it already supposed to be on your PSP? I have an "MP_ROOT" folder, but not MS_ROOT.

I don't mean to complain, but the creators say "follow the tutorial," yet it seems to me that there are things that don't seem to be explained by it, especially based on other people's posts. Uh, HELP???
<<

ace

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Thanks given: 10 times

Thanks received: 29 times

Post Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:33 pm

-It specifically says the first link is for the downgrader.
-You have to make a folder titled UPDATE in the GAME folder, and rename the .pbp file for the 3.03 upgrade to exactly EBOOT.PBP
-the folder titled MS_ROOT is in the downgrader file. You copy the contents of MS_ROOT to your memory stick, but don't copy the actual whole folder.

And your 1st and 3rd question was answered in the tutorial if you would've read/downloaded the files. That and the answer to your 2nd question is a very common question so all you would have to do is either use the search function or just search manually.
It's not the religion that causes wars, it's the men who use religion as a means to control people that do.
They call me tater salad.
<<

Powerpunk 5000

Young Brewer

Post Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:36 pm

ace_012 wrote:-It specifically says the first link is for the downgrader.
-You have to make a folder titled UPDATE in the GAME folder, and rename the .pbp file for the 3.03 upgrade to exactly EBOOT.PBP
-the folder titled MS_ROOT is in the downgrader file. You copy the contents of MS_ROOT to your memory stick, but don't copy the actual whole folder.

And your 1st and 3rd question was answered in the tutorial if you would've read/downloaded the files. That and the answer to your 2nd question is a very common question so all you would have to do is either use the search function or just search manually.

Sorry about that, this is just a bit annoying for me (I'm new with this kind of stuff). Just bear with me. What I'm not getting here is that if that second link is the 3.03 upgrade, and the game downgrades your PSP, what do you do with the downgrader in the first link??? :?

As far the the second question, maybe I'll have to look more. All I've seen as a reply so far is "you did something wrong," and in simply downloading a file and putting it in a folder, I doubt that's the case. There's so many links for upgrades, downgrades, etc. I'm just finding this really confusing, and frankly reading other people's posts to try and figure it out is honestly only making it more frustrating for me.
<<

D3ViLsAdvocate

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Location: ----New Jersey PSP Status:Dead & Gone PS3 Status:Paper Weight PS4 Status:mmm

Thanks given: 3 times

Thanks received: 21 times

Post Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:08 pm

Maybe this will make it easier? http://www.ps3forums.com/showthread.php?t=55465
ImageImage
<<

Powerpunk 5000

Young Brewer

Post Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:17 pm

Okay, still a coupla things I'm working on, but for the most part I have it figured out. Thanks for the help.
<<

ace

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Post Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:53 pm

Yea, im guessing you figured out the game isn't what downgrades your psp, it's the downgrading files. All we use the game for is the security exploit. And yes it will say corrupt data if you don't name the upgrader properly. But you probably know that by now. It's easy to understand. At least for me.
It's not the religion that causes wars, it's the men who use religion as a means to control people that do.
<<

Powerpunk 5000

Young Brewer

Post Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:46 pm

Okay, my only problem now (before being able to load GTA VCS) is on the 3.03 HEN. I'm really not understanding the directions what to do from here after obtaining the 3.03 HEN, as far as the update folder and all of that, since I'm obviously not supposed to overwrite the files from the 3.03 downgrader package (the MS_ROOT folder from the downgrader file is on my memory stick). Is it possible to get a steady step by step of what to so with the 3.03 HEN in this final step before loading GTA LCS (trying to piece together certain things from other posts just is too frustrating and makes me too nervous)? Thanks.
<<

ace

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Post Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:06 pm

So you upgraded to 3.03 then you can delete the upgrader. Then paste the HEN files to the root of your memory card and click yes to all if it asks to overwrite. Then copy the contents of the other downgrader files to the root of your memory stick and click yes to all if it asks to overwrite.
Here I just used this tutorial(if you need further help)-
http://talkvideogames.com/showthread.php?t=36489
I just followed the instructions for the 2.80 downgrader (the first part about copying files to the memory card) then poped gta in and ran the downgrader.
<<

Powerpunk 5000

Young Brewer

Post Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:11 pm

Okay, again the embarrassed noob asks: what is the "root" of the memory stick?
<<

DarkPacMan77

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Thanks given: 13 times

Thanks received: 18 times

Post Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:17 pm

The root is x://

It's where the first "psp" folder is. If you click INSIDE the "psp" folder, you are going too far. Just double click on the psp drive and viola, that's the root (the very first screen).

-DarkPacMan77-
D3ViLsAdvocate wrote:Try shaking the salt harder onto your tongue.
<<

ace

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Post Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:19 pm

The very first screen you see. As in this would be the root of the memory cards path on your computer-
M:/
As in, M would be the drive letter of your psp. Make sure you copy the contents of the downgrader's MS_ROOT, don't copy the actual MS_ROOT.
<<

Powerpunk 5000

Young Brewer

Post Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:27 pm

DarkPacMan77 wrote:The root is x://

It's where the first "psp" folder is. If you click INSIDE the "psp" folder, you are going too far. Just double click on the psp drive and viola, that's the root (the very first screen).

-DarkPacMan77-

Okay then, here's where the confusion is (And I've read 3 different tutorials, all saying different things, so my head is spinnning). The tutorial says copy the contents of MS_ROOT (3.03 downgrader) to memory stick. Does this mean everything you see AFTER opening the MS_ROOT folder (psp folder) or just the whole MS_ROOT folder itself? Because all of this "overwrite" stuff is making me crazy. And again, the directions in the tutorial for the Downgrader says "the memory stick." The directions for the 3.03 HEN says "root of the memory stick," so I'm not sure there's a difference.

*EDIT* Okay, I think I got it. Now, exactly WHAT part of the HEN do I put in the root? the MS_ROOT folder?
Last edited by Powerpunk 5000 on Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PreviousNext

Return to PSP Tutorials