<<

staxx

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 0

Thanks received: 2 times

Post Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:12 pm

[Tutorial] Ultimate Starters/Newbies Guide

The purpose of this guide is to provide someone with zero knowledge of the PSP homebrew scene a step by step set of instructions to easily get their PSP running homebrew and custom firmware. The steps located below are listed in chronological order and should be followed as numbered.

Contents
1. Downgraders
2. Custom Firmware
3. Homebrew
4. ISO/CSO

Downgraders

The purpose of a downgrader is to bring you from your current firmware to 1.50 firmware. Why do we need to be at 1.50 you ask… well, 1.50 is the only original firmware capable of operating homebrew which allows us to update to custom firmware. Listed below are links to downgrader tutorials, pick one that applies to your current firmware.

2.71 (TA-082)

Pandora’s Battery (Unbricker/Universal Downgrader)

Custom Firmware

First of all so you understand a little better, firmware is basically the operating system of your PSP. While custom firmware is a combination of both 1.50 firmware as well as whichever firmware you choose to upgrade to. The purpose of custom firmware is to allow its users to still be able to access the homebrew goodies that 1.50 provides as well as keeping their feet wet in the most recent firmware updates. Listed below are the more highly recommended custom firmwares.

3.03 OE-C

3.40 OE-A

3.52 M33-4

3.71 M33

4.01 M33-2 with 1.50 kernel addon

Homebrew

Homebrew are applications brewed up by various developers on the psp scene. They range from alarm clocks to remote controls to flashers. Whatever your interested in, I’m sure you’ll find a homebrew application to tickle your fancy. To install homebrew applications, follow the steps below.

Tools Needed
1.Usb Cable
2.PSP
3.Winzip or Winrar
4.Memory Stick
5.Computer

Instructions

Step 1
Attach your USB cable to your computer and PSP, then enter USB connection on your PSP screen.

Step 2
Create a GAME150 folder on your memory stick in the PSP folder.

Step 3
Inside your GAME150 folder you will place your emulators or homebrew applications. The emulators usually come with a regular folder and a folder with %, they will both be placed in the GAME150. Picture below…

Step 4
Scroll to Game > Memory Stick, Push X and your homebrew applications will be displayed if you have followed each step correctly.

Note: Make sure you have a UMD Game or Game Demo inserted in your PSP for your homebrew to run.

ISO/CSO

ISO and CSO files are games that you can run straight from your memory stick. This is a great way to test out a game for free before purchasing it. To install ISO and CSO files, follow the steps below…

Tools Needed

1. Usb Cable
2. PSP
3. Winzip or Winrar
4. Memory Stick
5. Computer

Instructions
Step 1
Attach your USB cable to your computer and PSP, then enter USB connection on your PSP screen.

Step 2
Create an ISO folder in the root of your memory stick.

Step 3
Inside your ISO folder you will place your .ISO and .CSO files. Note: The .ISO and .CSO files usually come in .zip or .rar format. To extract them use winzip or winrar.

Step 4
Press O to exit USB connection.

Step 5
Scroll to Game > Memory Stick, Push X and your games will be displayed if you have followed each step correctly.

Note: Make sure you have a UMD Game or Game Demo inserted in your PSP for your ISO/CSO to run.

Now you should be all set. Enjoy your newly brewed PSP. ;)

For tutorials on more advanced features for your PSP, you may refer to our master guide. Click HERE for it
Last edited by staxx on Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:38 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Please do not act as a moderator! If you see something wrong, please report it to one of the moderators.
Click a name to report
Staxx Ace_012 Tbag
<<

staxx

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:52 pm

Thanks...just hoping this clears up a lot of questions and gives people starting out on the scene something to refer to so that they could get the ball rolling.
Please do not act as a moderator! If you see something wrong, please report it to one of the moderators.
Click a name to report
Staxx Ace_012 Tbag
<<

AdventWolf

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 5 times

Thanks received: 10 times

Post Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:17 pm

ya this is pretty cool. however im still unable to run ISO files on my 3.40 OE-A. ive read where a lot of ppl have problems with runnin ISO on it. however the main fix that i found was to format your memory stick and put everything back on it. then your ISOs should work.also to have an umd in ur psp that might help also. but it didnt work for me =/. so ill probably have to convert everything to eboots for me to use em.
<<

staxx

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:29 pm

Thanks, forgot about mentioning the UMD part. I've added it now though.
Click a name to report
Staxx Ace_012 Tbag
<<

Figz

Super Brewer
Super Brewer

Post Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:25 am

I know a little research helps but when I first came to the scene I didn't know what firmware was and you might want to toss in a definition for those just coming in to the scene. You know....Firmware = OS....or something like that.
<<

staxx

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:09 am

Added your suggestion to the custom firmware portion of the guide. Thanks for your input, if you guys notice anything else keep letting me know so that this can be as noob proof as possible.
Click a name to report
Staxx Ace_012 Tbag
<<

Beatz

Experienced Brewer
Experienced Brewer

Thanks received: 0

Post Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:30 am

wow staxx nice guide should really clear out all the answered questions now
My Psp Life> 2.6>2.71>2.80>3.03>1.5YES!>3.03OE-C>bricked!>1.5>3.03OE-B>
bricked!>1.5>3.03OE-C>1.5>3.03OE-C>3.40oe-a>3.52M33-4
<<

staxx

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:42 am

Thanks man...You can throw it on your guides page if you want to use it as well.
Click a name to report
Staxx Ace_012 Tbag
<<

Beatz

Experienced Brewer
Experienced Brewer

Post Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:44 am

alright will do looks really good for the newbies
My Psp Life> 2.6>2.71>2.80>3.03>1.5YES!>3.03OE-C>bricked!>1.5>3.03OE-B>
bricked!>1.5>3.03OE-C>1.5>3.03OE-C>3.40oe-a>3.52M33-4
<<

blackzmage

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:24 am

this is awesome!
<<

staxx

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:47 am

*Updated*

Added 3.71 M33 custom firmware
Click a name to report
Staxx Ace_012 Tbag
<<

OmegaArts

Post Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:46 am

Oh hi, noob here again. What custom firmware do you reccomend for just playing SNES and NES games? I have no interest in much else with my homebrew psp. And oh, I've got a TA-082 motherboard.
OMGWTFIMONFIRE
<<

staxx

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:02 am

I suggest 3.03 oe-c, 3.40 oe-a, or 3.52 m33...those all work good for what your looking to do.
Click a name to report
Staxx Ace_012 Tbag
<<

OmegaArts

Post Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:14 am

Alright, I'll go buy Lumines tomorrow, and then downgrade from 3.50 to 1.50 and upgrade to 3.40 oea. I've got a 4 gb Sandisk MS pro duo, and as mentioned, a TA-082 motherboard. This works fine, right? I am aware that I may brick my PSP with the downgrader and stuff (is it common to brick a psp by downgrading/upgrading btw?). I may need some help ^^.
OMGWTFIMONFIRE
<<

AdventWolf

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 5 times

Thanks received: 10 times

Post Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:08 am

my psp was a 3.50 too. i used the lumines downgrader to 1.50 then upgraded to 3.40 OE-A. i have done this to 3 different psps and didn't mess up any of them. so i guess i is pretty safe. btw: mine is a TA-082 motherboard too. i used a 2gb sd pro duo.
Next

Return to PSP Tutorials