[Tutorial] Ultimate Starters/Newbies Guide

<<

staxx

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 0

Thanks received: 2 times

Post Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:30 pm

OmegaArts wrote:Alright, I'll go buy Lumines tomorrow, and then downgrade from 3.50 to 1.50 and upgrade to 3.40 oea. I've got a 4 gb Sandisk MS pro duo, and as mentioned, a TA-082 motherboard. This works fine, right? I am aware that I may brick my PSP with the downgrader and stuff (is it common to brick a psp by downgrading/upgrading btw?). I may need some help ^^.

Bricking is very rare, only happens when people shut off their psp during the process or they pull the power cord out, just dumb errors like that. Just make sure you follow the guides closely so that you dont miss something.
Please do not act as a moderator! If you see something wrong, please report it to one of the moderators.
Click a name to report
Staxx Ace_012 Tbag
<<

8-bit_ninja

Super Brewer
Super Brewer

Thanks received: 0

Post Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:38 pm

great tutorial!
This is a sig. You may think that there is something to it, but in fact it is just an ordinary sig.
<<

OmegaArts

Post Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:30 am

Yay! I'm currently installing 3.40oe-a, and I've found a lot of "trash" in the "game" folder, when I've updated to 3-40 OE-A, can I delete all folders like oeupdmaker and x.yz update (from the downgrade 3.50)? I kinda wanna clean it up.
OMGWTFIMONFIRE
<<

staxx

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:24 pm

Re: help on running CSO files on memory stick

O Protos wrote:I tried to run my CSO file on my memory card and i followed every step u said with no mistakes. Can u please help me on this one. When im on my psp and i go to game - memory stick - it says " there are no games". Is there a folder i have to create in the 'ISO' folder or is it just my firmware? plz help. thanks.

What firmware are you on?

OmegaArts wrote:Yay! I'm currently installing 3.40oe-a, and I've found a lot of "trash" in the "game" folder, when I've updated to 3-40 OE-A, can I delete all folders like oeupdmaker and x.yz update (from the downgrade 3.50)? I kinda wanna clean it up.

Yeah, I suggest reformatting your memory stick so you wont have to create the new folders manually. Just be sure to save the stuff you want to keep such as saved games and photos or videos before formatting. Also, to provide a clear answer to your question...yes, it is safe to delete all the junk from the downgrade/upgrade process.
Please do not act as a moderator! If you see something wrong, please report it to one of the moderators.
Click a name to report
Staxx Ace_012 Tbag
<<

MEPHiST0

Young Brewer

Post Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:19 pm

hey guys, this tutorial is very helpfull and should be a Sticky, at the top of the tutorials forums.
gave me alot of on info

just one thing, as a psp n00b, i kinda know what firmware is, its basically the operating system for PSP..

but you should Label next to the firmwares, which ones would be best for the useage.. i really only want it to run ISO's and some homebrew apps.

I am still kinda confused on which firmware i should use, and untill i get some good feedback im not gonna mess with it. :)

but thanks for the great tut staxx
<<

DarkPacMan77

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Thanks given: 13 times

Thanks received: 18 times

Post Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:27 pm

For firmware choice, regarding ISO files, most custom firmwares play ISO files with nearly the same exact compatibility. The ONLY thing in the way, is that when new PSP games come out, Sony adds firmware updates on the UMD's. What that means, is that you'd need to update to that firmware in order to play the game.

*EXAMPLE* Keeping that in mind. If you had firmware 3.03 oe-c, and you tried running an ISO with a firmware update with 3.60 on it, you wouldn't be able to play that ISO.

Generally, it is recommended that you upgrade to the highest possible custom firmware in order to have the best compatibility with loading ISO files. Custom firmware 3.52 M33 and 3.71 M33 are good choices. Also, usually Sony makes minor tweaks to the PSP's internal Playstation 1 emulator when new firmware updates are released. Because of that, you may notice that compatibility with the Playstation 1 emulator is better with higher versions of custom firmware.

Also, MEPHiST0, our tutorial section is a bit different than most other sites. We keep all of our tutorials in our "PSPBrew Master Guide to all Tutorials". This document has already been added to that list (in the second paragraph in the intro). If you still don't understand any aspect of the PSP, and can't find a tutorial for it in our tutorial list, I encourage you to make a recommendation that someone write a tutorial about your problem in our "Tutorial Request Thread". That way, if someone knows how to answer your problem, they may write a tutorial about how to fix it. ;) All the best.

-DarkPacMan77-
D3ViLsAdvocate wrote:Try shaking the salt harder onto your tongue.
<<

MEPHiST0

Young Brewer

Post Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:46 pm

well thx for the response dark, and i understand the psp quite well, theres just so many different versions of the PSP, and firmwares, its kinda much at first.
i just bought another PSP , black, v3.03, im about to install the firmware on it soon.. which shouldnt be hard at all..

also i ordered a PSP slim daxter bundle, and read ill need to make some solder modifications... so i went out and got this black one to bascially get the idea of it.. also nice to have an extra..

so once i get this all figured out mi might write a nice tutorial on installing firmwares, the differences, between psp's ect. ive writtin acouple in my day, and appearently people really love them (not on psp's of course..)

i might end up coding some applications for the PSP too, if you can think of anything useful please let me know.. i cant really think of anything besides making a sweet mp3 player with equalizer and whatever else..
PSP - phat Black - v3.52 m33-4
PSP - Slim silver - on its way
<<

DarkPacMan77

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Thanks received: 18 times

Post Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:50 pm

I think a media program for the PSP would really be welcomed from the homebrew community. There are a few out there, but none are what I'd consider "full media players". If you're willing to take up that task, I think that's awesome and I look forward to your work.

Also, yes, firmware can especially be difficult to understand at first (mainly because there are so many). Congrats on the second PSP though. I have two as well, but both are "fat" psp units. It really is kinda neat to be able to play multiplayer with my friends. It's kind of like having "two controllers" for the PSP, in a way.

-DarkPacMan77-
D3ViLsAdvocate wrote:Try shaking the salt harder onto your tongue.
<<

BKFraiders7

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Location: On COD:BO2 iPhone User:5 Mac User: Macbook Pro Mtn Lion

Thanks received: 31 times

Post Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:06 pm

Pandora doesnt work on Lite. Use Cematrio Despetar or w/e. Also Staxx: Maybe add the update 3 to 3.71.
Watch me stream on MIXER or follow on Youtube at ChA0TiCxDR3AMS

Image Image
<<

salbo

Post Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:01 pm

Hi,

I'm new to home brew and downgrading. And I finally decided to try it. and I had 3.50 on my old fat psp so I bought lumines off ebay and dl'd the downgrader and 1.5 updater and I'm following the steps step by step (I think) but when I start up lumines the game just starts, am I doing somthing wrong?
<<

AdventWolf

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 5 times

Thanks received: 10 times

Post Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:24 pm

Well.. I have no idea because I have heard it both ways, but

There is a patched and unpatched Lumines game. If it is patched, SONY fixed it so you can't use it as a downgrader. If the '2.00' update appears when you stick the Lumines game in your psp, then it is good to downgrade.
<<

salbo

Post Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:34 pm

wow really? I don't think mine has that. but I Just bought an unpackaged lumines game and the seller advertised it as "Use this to downgrade and put homebrew on your psp." ahh great. 30 bucks down the drain... unless I can get my money back somehow. I mean its not that bad of a game =P but I just wanted it to downgrade...
<<

AdventWolf

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 5 times

Thanks received: 10 times

Post Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:31 pm

Which update does your Lumines game have?
<<

staxx

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:41 pm

Try formatting your memory stick...if you have another lumines game save on there then it wont work. You can only have the one provided by the downgrader.
Click a name to report
Staxx Ace_012 Tbag
<<

salbo

Post Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:02 am

It doesn't have any upgrade. and I tried reformatting that didn't work =/
PreviousNext

Return to PSP Tutorials