<<

AdventWolf

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 5 times

Thanks received: 10 times

Post Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:50 pm

~How to turn your PSP into a Universal Remote~

NOTE: This tutorial allows your PSP to control devices using IR (Infrared waves). This program requires a Custom Firmware in order to use it, AND a PSP PHAT. You cannot do this on a PSP SLIM.

Files You Will Need:

1. The main file to run iR Shell(iR Shell 4.7): Click Here
2. The file that includes 2000 pronto codes that hold the files to control more devices: Click Here

Step 1:

Download the 2 files above.

Step 2:

Once the files are downloaded, turn on your PSP and connect it to your computer via USB. Open the main iR Shell file you just downloaded and you will see the following files: Image

Move the ‘seplugins’, ‘IRSHELL’, and ‘PSP’ directly to the base of the PSP memory stick and let all the files copy over. Then open the pronto codes file and copy the ‘IRCODES’ file to your memory stick in the following folder: go from the base of your memory stick (MS) MS/ IRSHELL. The ircodes that you are now pasting to the ‘IRSHELL’ folder will merge with the previous codes.

Step 3:

That ends the installation procedure of iR Shell 4.7 and the 2000 pronto codes. Now exit out of USB mode and go to the game icon on the xmb (main menu of psp that includes the Video/Game/Music/Photo/Network/ and Settings icons). Once you are under the Game icon, click on ‘Memory Stick’ There should be 2 IR Shell applications under game, open whichever one you want and let it start up. Once you are in the main menu of IR Shell, go to the top right area of it where it says ‘iR Remote View’ and once you click on that, 3 options appear: ‘Codes’, ‘Discrete Codes’, and ‘User Supplied Codes’.

Search through all these codes for the device you want to control and click on it. Once you click on it, a list of commands will pop up on the PSP’s screen that tell you what each button does. Now you are ready to control a device, point the top part of the PSP towards the device you want to control and press any button to control it. Congratulations you have installed iR Shell 4.7 and have used the iR Remote program.

It is also optional to use the 'seplugins' folder. What it does, is when you activate it, IR Shell auto-boots when you turn your PSP on. You can activate this plugin by entering recovery mode and going to the 'Plugin' option and activate the 'irsautoboot' or whatever it is. Setting all this up is pretty easy to do, it just might be puzzling at first with all the files and folders.

Troubleshooting:

If you have any problems just ask, I will do my best to resolve the problem. Also, if any of the above download links are inactive, just tell me and I will upload them again for you to download them.
Last edited by AdventWolf on Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

AdventWolf

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:57 pm

the base of your memory stick is just the main area of your memory stick, the place where the 'MUSIC', 'VIDEO', 'PSP', and 'PICTURE' folders are.
<<

blackzmage

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 0

Thanks received: 0

Post Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:52 am

and just to be shure you probobly would see a folder called "MP_root"
<<

Natogeo

Post Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:54 pm

only question..do you need custom firmware for this? :?
<<

AdventWolf

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:22 am

yes, as stated in the post, you do need custom firmware :).
<<

speed_raca7

Post Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:44 pm

what exactly is custom firmware? and how do i install it. I put what i think is all the things needed to turn my psp into a remote control for a tv but it shows IR shell in the games but when i open it it just says that the game could not be started.. any help would be appreciated

thanks
<<

ace

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Thanks given: 10 times

Thanks received: 29 times

Post Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:16 am

Yep, you need custom firmware. It's basically like the mmm, Operating System on your psp. You have the official firmwares from Sony and custom ones. Custom ones let you play programs people have made themselfs (called homebrew) and play like ISO's (PSP games saved to the memory stick). Try asking on the help section on your own thread so more people can help you ;)
It's not the religion that causes wars, it's the men who use religion as a means to control people that do.
They call me tater salad.
<<

argo

Young Brewer

Post Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:08 pm

i read somewhere that the PSP 2001 system does not have the IR scanner, so this function would be impossible?
DAMN THE TORPEDOES FULL SPEED AHEAD!
<<

AdventWolf

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:11 pm

yea, if it doesn't have the external IR wave port thingys, then this would be impossible.
<<

sylencer

Post Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:55 pm

[quote]It is also optional to use the 'seplugins' folder. What it does, is when you activate it, IR Shell auto-boots when you turn your PSP on. You can activate this plugin by entering recovery mode and going to the 'Plugin' option and activate the 'irsautoboot' or whatever it is. Setting all this up is pretty easy to do, it just might be puzzling at first with all the files and folders.

[/quote]

i did everything as instructed above but i couldnt find anything in plugins recovery folder,also on my psp wen i games/ms theres 2 irshell icon but theres also a corrupted file ,can u please help me resolve this issue,ive read lots of forums with no success i also tried install irshell 3.6 but it wouldnt take couldnt run btcnfpatch,im on cfm 3.71 m33-2,any help would b appreciated
<<

AdventWolf

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:13 pm

There will be 2 iR Shell Icons in the Game Tab after you do this. There will be a Corrupted File Icon too, its just part of having this program, but you can easily hide the Corrupted File Icons by going into Recovery Mode and choosing to Hide them.

You have to go into Recovery Mode in order to activate the plugin. To go into Recovery Mode, just fully shut down your PSP by holding the Power Switch up for 4-5 seconds. Then after a few seconds, hold R + turn the PSP on. A new Blue screen with different options will pop up. One option on the list is 'Plugins'. So go to there and activate the 'irsautoboot.prx' plugin.

That should solve your problem.
<<

Fleet

Young Brewer

Post Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:22 pm

I've already figured this out for myself, but when I try to activate a remote setup, one of the .txt files, it opens up the file, literally, and shows me whats inside. What kind of format does the remote function in iRShell need?

EDIT:

BTW, I have the remote pack from the universal remote homebrew, the one with 3000+ remote configs in .txt format
Last edited by Fleet on Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FW history
PSP I
3.03OE-C>>>3.40OE-A>>>3.52M33-4
PSP II (Found it in the garbage can at school)

<<

sylencer

Post Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:24 pm

AdventWolf wrote:You have to go into Recovery Mode in order to activate the plugin. To go into Recovery Mode, just fully shut down your PSP by holding the Power Switch up for 4-5 seconds. Then after a few seconds, hold R + turn the PSP on. A new Blue screen with different options will pop up. One option on the list is 'Plugins'. So go to there and activate the 'irsautoboot.prx' plugin.

That should solve your problem.

i just had time 2 ur advice & its working fine now,thanks alot 4 ur help,1 more thing is there a guide/tut 4 backin up ur umd 2 hdd or iso file,can u point me in the right direction cos i hav a few umd games not really in good health,thanks
psp gaming status:pre-schooler
<<

AdventWolf

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:09 pm

Yea np.
Yea, I got a tutorial for that, you make an ISO file from it and then compress it to a CSO file. I'll try to help you with that.
<<

XTurboX

Young Brewer

Post Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:08 pm

when i choose a code it says `Failed to find mod: sceIRC IRDA DRivER` wtf always bad stuff happens to me...
Next

Return to PSP Tutorials