Forum    News    Downloads    Saved Games

PSPlexiglass - PSP Hardware Development Board Complete

<<

alien_x

Thanks given: 0

Thanks received: 0

Post Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:41 am

PSPlexiglass - PSP Hardware Development Board Complete

Hey PSPBrew, I thought I would join to show you all my PSP Modification.

I dissassembled a PSP, Screwed down the Motherboard, wifi board and a Hacked Up LCD Cage onto an A3 sheet of plexi. Then I proceeded to piggyback the following control points:
DPAD
Power Switch
Hold Switch
X circle, Triangle, Square
Wifi Switch
MSPD
Serial Port
Backlight
Analog Stick
LCD
Triggers
USB
And I think There were some other Things, That I cannot remember at the moment.

Anyway Onto the Pictures:

The PSP LCD Using a Custom PCB and FPCS:

The Main Board:

Now, Why is there no umd drive? How is it controlled I hear you say?

Well The main controlling is done via a Modified PS2 controller, that Plugs in VIA the DSUB 25 pin connector, but also due to the boards plug and play nature, I could make an array of tactile switches to control it if the need arises. And for the UMD Drive, I could implement it if It becomes completely necessary, but at the moment I am happy playing games from my memory stick.

I spent alot of time on this project, and literally Blood sweat and Tears, So please tell me what you think.

This will be for sale in the near future as I need the funds for my new cnc machine build.

Alien OUT
<<

DoctaMario

Experienced Brewer
Experienced Brewer

Post Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:12 am

That's interesting. I wonder what he was hoping to achieve by doing this.

I would love it if someone could put a PS2 controller port in the bottom of the PSP so you could bypass the onboard controls and use a Dual Shock. That combined with a tv output would be sweet and give you the option to plug it in when you're at home. Just a wish.
]Is the iPhone the Next Great Force in Portable Gaming? Find out here: http://doctamario.wordpress.com
<<

light_alistor

Brewery Master
Brewery Master

Thanks received: 2 times

Post Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:35 am

i can see this took alot of time and effort. so 3 cheers for you on that.

but why?
<<

.Yunoko

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 13 times

Thanks received: 3 times

Post Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:26 pm

Great job. Looks cool. Don't see a purpose to it but still cool.

Okay don't rant on me about this because I don't know how a psp or a tv would do this. But if you attached that to a lcd screen or something and it worked. That would be cool.
<<

que13x

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 1

Thanks received: 6 times

Post Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:31 pm

Yea man, it's cool and all but tell us why you took a pocket device and made it bigger.
The programmers you will one day be looking to hire are the ones reading the tech news sites right now.

And they will remember...

~George Hotz @ $ony
<<

alien_x

Post Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:47 pm

Why?

Okay, I made it so that I could develop some rather complex hardware modifications without having to get my soldering station and microscope etc. out every single time. So now I can simply plug and play different mods, and just by unplugging one wire I can change it, instead of reheating joints etc.

When I next unscrew the motherboard, it will be to solder in some of the nand control signals.

If I attached the psp to a tv?
I am working on that using spectroplasms work, and my qfps are on the way, but I am also working on wireless ps2 controller interfacing with a PIC and three quad bilateral (4016/4066) switches.

Thanks for the comments.

And I made a Pocket device and made it bigger, simply because I didn't want this particular one in my pocket, but to develop things on it.

I am also thinking of making a KEyboard for it, with around three or four 18f PICs, with multiple inputs set up to the keyboard keys, and multiple outputs set up to the dpad and abxy, whereby upon each button press, the PIC will interpret which button is being pressed, and pulse low to the dpad buttons a certain amount of times to get it to move over the correct text entry square, it will then pulse low to the X button, and then pulse low to the dpad buttons to set the selection dead centre again.
The code would be fairly simple, but there would be alot of wires, of course I could always attempt to decode the PS/2 protocol.

Any thoughts/input is welcome.
<<

8-bit_ninja

Super Brewer
Super Brewer

Post Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:23 pm

This is Ben Heck worthy, I'm impressed. How would you set it up? A wall-mount would be a convenient set-up, although you'd need to sit close or mod in a larger screen.
This is a sig. You may think that there is something to it, but in fact it is just an ordinary sig.
<<

.Yunoko

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 13 times

Thanks received: 3 times

Post Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:35 pm

Ben Heck would make it into a psplaptop.
<<

8-bit_ninja

Super Brewer
Super Brewer

Post Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:59 pm

^ True, true
But his followers would make this after failing at making a PSPPortable. ;)
This is a sig. You may think that there is something to it, but in fact it is just an ordinary sig.
<<

uberusmaximus

Experienced Brewer
Experienced Brewer

Post Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:30 pm

you unportableize it.

:roll:
<<

que13x

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 1

Thanks received: 6 times

Post Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:31 pm

alien_x wrote:I am also thinking of making a KEyboard for it, with around three or four 18f PICs, with multiple inputs set up to the keyboard keys, and multiple outputs set up to the dpad and abxy, whereby upon each button press, the PIC will interpret which button is being pressed, and pulse low to the dpad buttons a certain amount of times to get it to move over the correct text entry square, it will then pulse low to the X button, and then pulse low to the dpad buttons to set the selection dead centre again.

Why use PICs for the keyboard? Why not write code to use the mini USB and a standard keyboard or better yet why not use a Bluetooth adapter that interfaces via USB and attach whatever you like to that?
The programmers you will one day be looking to hire are the ones reading the tech news sites right now.

And they will remember...

~George Hotz @ $ony
<<

crait

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Thanks given: 195 times

Thanks received: 51 times

Post Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:45 pm

que13x wrote:
alien_x wrote:I am also thinking of making a KEyboard for it, with around three or four 18f PICs, with multiple inputs set up to the keyboard keys, and multiple outputs set up to the dpad and abxy, whereby upon each button press, the PIC will interpret which button is being pressed, and pulse low to the dpad buttons a certain amount of times to get it to move over the correct text entry square, it will then pulse low to the X button, and then pulse low to the dpad buttons to set the selection dead centre again.

Why use PICs for the keyboard? Why not write code to use the mini USB and a standard keyboard or better yet why not use a Bluetooth adapter that interfaces via USB and attach whatever you like to that?

Because that has been done many times many different ways and is very complicated to be replicate/recreate.
Making your own software for it alone would take a lot of time.
<<

brentbizzle

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Thanks received: 15 times

Post Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:07 pm

Assuming you can recreate spectroplasms work, this could be cool. This would allow you to develop various video out ports for a psp. Once you can get the wiring down and consolidate it, then it is very possible it could be an internal mod.

I think people can't look past the fact that your PSP is all over the place. This isn't meant to tote to school like what most of you do. This is for development purposes.

DoctaMario > someone over at acidmods has made a detatchable PS2 controller port mod on their fat PSP. It is super clean and one of the nicest mods I've seen.
Founding father of the Wiibrew Packgen.
About 2 noob posts away from going ape sh*t
<<

alien_x

Post Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:18 am

There are some concerns about the legitimacy of spectroplasm's work.
For example, the HI, or CXD QFPS don't even mention "Sync" in the entire datasheet..
And spectroplasm disappeared after all the real questions started to be asked.
<<

d[^.^]b

Post Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:51 am

This is something that could help developing purposes, yea, but you say you plan to sell it? Image
Next

Return to PlayStation Portable