Forum    News    Downloads    Saved Games

I just want the simplest way to use emulators on a 3.73 firm

<<

MrShandavio

Thanks given: 0

Thanks received: 0

Post Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:17 pm

I just want the simplest way to use emulators on a 3.73 firm

So, I've had a PSP for a while, and right now it's at firmware version 3.73.

I want to know if I can still run emulators/ROMs/Homebrew on it. I want the simplest way. Google doesn't help for anything; it links to articles explaining that 3.73 was released, but doesn't say anything about emulating on it. Besides that, not everything found on Google is reliable or accurate. Chatrooms tell me to go back to Google and they're not my personal search army. Forums contain too much friggin' jargon and not enough straight answers.

So, please, just tell me: Can I run an emulator and ROMs on my PSP with version 3.73 firmware, and, IF SO, what is the simplest way to do so?

PLEASE don't use any jargon as I'm already confused enough. You can contact me any other way, if you don't want to take the time to reply here (and it may be more helpful to contact me on AIM, as I can ask more questions if need be).

AIM: MrShandavio
MSN: removed
YIM: numbah_91
E-mail: removed

Thanks to any help.
<<

ace

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Thanks given: 10 times

Thanks received: 29 times

Post Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:32 pm

I removed your email so you don't receive spam emails. Next time don't post your email address ;)
And there are plenty of tutorials around here, even a "noob" tutorial for beginners that tell you everything you need to know. But I'm going to tell you the answer to your question is no.

You have to have a custom firmware on your psp in order to run emulators and ROMs. Before you ask how to get custom firmware, first check the tutorials section. You will most likely need to make a pandora's battery to put custom firmware on your psp.

btw, Running emulators and roms on your psp is known as running "homebrew" on your psp. Homebrew is just applications made to run on psp's by the community and not made by Sony.

http://pspbrew.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9454
It's not the religion that causes wars, it's the men who use religion as a means to control people that do.
They call me tater salad.
<<

MrShandavio

Post Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:06 pm

They weren't my main e-mail addresses anyway, I don't mind. But whatever you think is best.

Okay, so what would I have to do, in simple terms, to get custom firmware? I've read topics on Pandora's Battery, among other methods, but I don't know if these apply to me or if they'd work.
<<

BKFraiders7

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Location: On COD:BO2 iPhone User:5 Mac User: Macbook Pro Mtn Lion

Thanks given: 13 times

Thanks received: 31 times

Post Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:11 pm

Our Pandora guide does work....and yes, it applies to you.
Watch me stream on MIXER or follow on Youtube at ChA0TiCxDR3AMS

Image Image
<<

MrShandavio

Post Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:14 pm

BKFraiders7 wrote:Our Pandora guide does work....and yes, it applies to you.

Okay, could you link me to that one? I noticed several in the Tutorials section, but some require a second PSP, or a second battery, which I don't have. I have one PSP, one battery, and one memory card/stick.
<<

BKFraiders7

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Location: On COD:BO2 iPhone User:5 Mac User: Macbook Pro Mtn Lion

Thanks given: 13 times

Thanks received: 31 times

Post Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:18 pm

Well Pandora does require a 2nd psp (with CFW) to make a pandora battery (unless u hard mod it). U can use the same stick (needs to be a bigger one tho).

Its not that hard to go to "Tutorials" and then "Pandora w/e"
Watch me stream on MIXER or follow on Youtube at ChA0TiCxDR3AMS

Image Image
<<

MrShandavio

Post Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:36 pm

BKFraiders7 wrote:Well Pandora does require a 2nd psp (with CFW) to make a pandora battery (unless u hard mod it). U can use the same stick (needs to be a bigger one tho).

I did, but again, I don't know what to look for or what would apply with me. I just know I only have one PSP, one battery, and one memory stick. I saw a topic about screwing with the battery, but wasn't sure if that's something I could do. Plus, I don't know what CFW is. And my card is 2GB. I mean, I'm sorry, I know I should Google stuff and look in the tutorials section, and I have, several times. I just don't really know where to look exactly.

And even then, after I mess with that stuff, I wouldn't know where to go from there.
<<

Yumiko

Mega Brewer
Mega Brewer

Thanks given: 2 times

Thanks received: 2 times

Post Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:43 pm

Best way to learn, is by failing. If you mess up your battery, then learn from the mistake you did, and try again.
I hard-modded my first battery and I succeeded. I mean...you don't have to follow what I say, but if you need a pandors battery, then you could just hard-mod your own.
由美子
<<

MrShandavio

Post Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:44 pm

Yumiko wrote:Best way to learn, is by failing. If you mess up your battery, then learn from the mistake you did, and try again.
I hard-modded my first battery and I succeeded. I mean...you don't have to follow what I say, but if you need a pandors battery, then you could just hard-mod your own.

Okay, what does that mean? Can I have a link to the tutorial?
<<

molotov_mafia

Young Brewer

Post Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:46 pm

MrShandavio wrote:

I did, but again, I don't know what to look for or what would apply with me. I just know I only have one PSP, one battery, and one memory stick. I saw a topic about screwing with the battery, but wasn't sure if that's something I could do. Plus, I don't know what CFW is. quote]

CFW stands for Custom firmware, Custom firmware is firmware made by someone other than sony. you must have custom firmware in order to run any emulaters or applications not designed by sony. The only firmware i'm aware of is made by Dark alex aka m33. To get custom firmware you must first downgrade your firmware to a lower level, which is where a magic stick and pandoras battery come in. That is if you do have the latest sony firmware. A pandoras battery allows you to install version 1.5 firmware on your psp. which in turn allows you to install custom firmware on it. Only then can you run emulaters on your psp. in case you haven't looked at this tutorial yet heres the link for creating a pandoras battery. http://www.pspbrew.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9208
It's helped me understand pandoras batteries and ms alot better.

Although i have yet the chance to attempt it...

I hate being poor ;)

Ps and hey guys i think i'm right here but uh feel free to correct me if any of this information is wrong.
God has one screwed up sense of humor... just look at the platypus
<<

MrShandavio

Post Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:11 pm

molotov_mafia wrote:
MrShandavio wrote:

I did, but again, I don't know what to look for or what would apply with me. I just know I only have one PSP, one battery, and one memory stick. I saw a topic about screwing with the battery, but wasn't sure if that's something I could do. Plus, I don't know what CFW is.

CFW stands for Custom firmware, Custom firmware is firmware made by someone other than sony. you must have custom firmware in order to run any emulaters or applications not designed by sony. The only firmware i'm aware of is made by Dark alex aka m33. To get custom firmware you must first downgrade your firmware to a lower level, which is where a magic stick and pandoras battery come in. That is if you do have the latest sony firmware. A pandoras battery allows you to install version 1.5 firmware on your psp. which in turn allows you to install custom firmware on it. Only then can you run emulaters on your psp. in case you haven't looked at this tutorial yet heres the link for creating a pandoras battery. http://www.pspbrew.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9208
It's helped me understand pandoras batteries and ms alot better.

Although i have yet the chance to attempt it...

I hate being poor ;)

Ps and hey guys i think i'm right here but uh feel free to correct me if any of this information is wrong.

Ok I think I understand a little better, but again, I don't have the supplies needed. What about the "hard-mod" way someone mentioned?
<<

molotov_mafia

Young Brewer

Post Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:07 pm

MrShandavio wrote:
molotov_mafia wrote:
MrShandavio wrote:
Ok I think I understand a little better, but again, I don't have the supplies needed. What about the "hard-mod" way someone mentioned?

That involves being able to sodder... which i have had some experience with xbox's but not a whole lot so i'm not going to attempt it...

I believe that have tutorial for it somewhere. ah here we go... http://pspbrew.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=97205#97205

Like i said i'm not going to try it myself, but if you've had experience with soddering you shouldn't have too much trouble.
God has one screwed up sense of humor... just look at the platypus
<<

ace

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Thanks given: 10 times

Thanks received: 29 times

Post Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:11 pm

You don't have to desolder the leg, you can cut it too. But that's only if you want to make a permanent pandora's battery. Or you can cut the leg then solder a switch to it which is much more simple. If you don't know how to solder two wires together then you have no soldering experience ;)
It's not the religion that causes wars, it's the men who use religion as a means to control people that do.
They call me tater salad.

Return to PSP Help