Should I go with Phat or Slim?

<<

digitalforce

Young Brewer

Thanks given: 0

Thanks received: 0

Post Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:29 am

Should I go with Phat or Slim?

A guy at work here is offering me his mint condition original PSP Fat. It has the original launch mobo (Verified code on mobo) but I want the features of the Slim.

I am curious, for the easiest hacking possible, does it matter which one I get? I really don't want to do the Pandora's Battery thing...

Thanks in advance.
<<

uberusmaximus

Experienced Brewer
Experienced Brewer

Post Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:15 am

ive had both a slim and a fat, and slims are definitely better, faster, and have more features, like video out. Theyre a lot thinner and have double the ram of a fat.
<<

digitalforce

Young Brewer

Post Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:38 am

uberusmaximus wrote:ive had both a slim and a fat, and slims are definitely better, faster, and have more features, like video out. Theyre a lot thinner and have double the ram of a fat.

Well, I just checked the fat that my friend has for sale.. looks like it's version 3.95 firmware so I guess it doesn't matter what I get for hacking right?
<<

1/-0

Experienced Brewer
Experienced Brewer

Post Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:02 am

Actually it does for two reasons: 1. Some brew isnt compatible with slim, such as SmashGP. 2. irShell plus a phats irport=stealth remote/universal remote.
Go phat, not slim.
2.50 PSP<3.50<3.95<<<<3.90m33<4.01 m33<5.00 m33
Killzone Liberation name:Babamthegrunt add me
I'll rape you with my helpfullness
Need a pandora battery for cheap, willing to wait about 2 weeks to get it? click Here A comprehensive list of Apps for n00bs link
<<

AdventWolf

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 5 times

Thanks received: 10 times

Post Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:30 am

Nah slim is the best thing to do now, don't worry about the homebew, everything is moving over to 3.XX kernel. You just might use the universal remote for a couple of minutes, but it gets old.
The slim has 2x ram, its lighter. Although I prefer to handle the phat more, the slim is way too light. The phat feels much better.
But the phat has no advantages over the slim really, the ir port is probably used by a handful of people.

I'd suggest the slim though for new people.

Oh, and you can use video output with the slim, if you wanna play on your tv.
<<

digitalforce

Young Brewer

Post Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:13 am

AdventWolf wrote:Nah slim is the best thing to do now, don't worry about the homebew, everything is moving over to 3.XX kernel. You just might use the universal remote for a couple of minutes, but it gets old.
The slim has 2x ram, its lighter. Although I prefer to handle the phat more, the slim is way too light. The phat feels much better.
But the phat has no advantages over the slim really, the ir port is probably used by a handful of people.

I'd suggest the slim though for new people.

Oh, and you can use video output with the slim, if you wanna play on your tv.

But either way, since I new to PSP hacking, the only option right now for SLIM or PHAT is Pandora's battery right?
<<

Salzgablah

Experienced Brewer
Experienced Brewer

Post Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:56 am

depends on the Official FW on the psp. But most likely it is your only method. There are tutorials on this website describing how to make a battery or where to buy them. I made mine, first try, it isnt that bad at all.
Phat 3.71->pandora 1.50->3.90 m33 (Sold on Ebay, suckers)
Slim 3.71->semi-brick->Nand Recovery->DCv3->3.71->3.80 m33-2->3.90 m33-3->4.01 m33-2
Want cintro for 4.01 m33? get cintro_390and Autostart_V4.zip, just follow the readme.
<<

digitalforce

Young Brewer

Post Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:40 pm

Salzgablah wrote:depends on the Official FW on the psp. But most likely it is your only method. There are tutorials on this website describing how to make a battery or where to buy them. I made mine, first try, it isnt that bad at all.

Yeah, I am still debating on whether to get a mint Phat with 1 gig card for $115 or just buy a new $169 slim. Pros and cons it seems.

If it is easy to create the battery, I might try it. Is it easier to create a slim or phat batt?
<<

AdventWolf

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:43 pm

Hm, maybe Phat? I'm not sure if you can hard mod a slim battery. - meaning opening it up and messing with the insides.
<<

crait

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Thanks given: 195 times

Thanks received: 51 times

Post Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:53 pm

The only thing that original PSP's have that I liked that Slim's don't is Flashing.

I miss X-Flash and QQManto..
<<

Salzgablah

Experienced Brewer
Experienced Brewer

Post Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:10 pm

Yeah i even tried to use PSPBrew and combine X-Flash into a 1.xx file. Didnt work. wish there was a updated version that runs on slims. goodbye 1.5!

edit: i hard moded my phat battery. Seems like there are more compatible batteries for phats than slims since sony figured it out and corrected it. You can still use the phat battery and just not put the cover on when downgrading. What i did was i bought a phat, moded the real battery and bought 2 OEM spares for like $10. Will keep the pandora even i end up selling the phat. Great tool to have if you are into CFW and homebrew.
Slim 3.71->semi-brick->Nand Recovery->DCv3->3.71->3.80 m33-2->3.90 m33-3->4.01 m33-2
Want cintro for 4.01 m33? get cintro_390and Autostart_V4.zip, just follow the readme.
<<

digitalforce

Young Brewer

Post Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:15 pm

Great info guys! I used to mod Xbox's like crazy but I am just entering the world of PSP modding.

Where can you get OEM batteries for that cheap?

Also, can you point out links on info of the best Homebrew apps that will work on phat or slim? I am interested in these categories:

* Arcade, NES, SNES, N64 emulation (I already have the ROMs)
* Ripping/playing ISOs of PSP games
* Ultimate Media Player that will play any type of video etc.

Thanks again.
<<

AdventWolf

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:27 pm

<<

Salzgablah

Experienced Brewer
Experienced Brewer

Post Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:39 pm

i got a 2-pack of batteries for everyday use off Ebay. Cheap. Used the Sony battery to make Pandora since you need an orig battery. There is a list of batteries that are compatible. Look for it on the pandora creation page.
<<

digitalforce

Young Brewer

Post Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:22 am

You guys are extremely helpful! I appreciate you taking the time to answer all these questions.

Now, if I pay a local guy to install custom firmware using his Pandora's Battery set up, can I install newer CFW down the road on my own or do I have do have a Pandora's Battery setup of my own?

Are there any other top notch emulation or "MUST HAVE" homebrew apps besides the ones you listed?

One last question, what size are the .iso files for most games? I really don't want to buy a 4 gig Memory Stick but I imagine some of the games are very large... wish the PSP used SD cards :)
Next

Return to PSP Help