Forum    News    Downloads    Saved Games

PSP-2001. Pandora/MS installs 3.71 official? I want custom!

<<

Buttons6

Young Brewer

Thanks given: 0

Thanks received: 0

Post Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:13 pm

PSP-2001. Pandora/MS installs 3.71 official? I want custom!

OK. I've used various methods to create a magic stick. I don't know if I have been successful or not.

What happens is when I put the Pandora Battery in the green power light lights up, and then the screen stays blank. This is the tutorial I have been fallowing; http://psp.brewology.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11609

From what I have read I do believe I have successfully created a Pandora Battery.

My problem is, the PSP never reads from the memory stick. I put in the Pandora Battery, and the green light comes on. Note that I don't do ANYTHING besides put the battery in. The green light comes out WITHOUT having to flip a switch or press a button. I have tried creating various fancy sticks (whatever you'll call them), but none of that matters because the PSP never reads from the stick?

I have been reading all over, but I can't figure out where to go from here?

Thank you.
Last edited by Buttons6 on Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

brentbizzle

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Thanks received: 15 times

Post Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:29 pm

If your PSP is turning on with nothing on screen when the battery is inserted, then your battery is fine.

Make sure your memory stick is in the PSP before you put the battery in. When you insert it, I believe you have to hold down the L trigger with some magic memory sticks. Try that.
Founding father of the Wiibrew Packgen.
About 2 noob posts away from going ape sh*t
<<

Buttons6

Young Brewer

Post Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:36 pm

Thanks, I'll try it.

This battery I'm using is a hard modded Slim Battery. Is this a problem? I read that Slim Batts can't be modded?

That's what makes this so hard, is half the information is wrong.

OK. I just tried pressing the left trigger when inserting the battery. Everything is the same, green light comes on, no stick access activity, black/blank screen. I also tried holding square, circles, X, right trigger, up, left, etc. Basically I've tried ever button on the PSP and nothing changes. To be specific, I start with the magic stick inserted, press the button, and then insert the battery. Again, the green power light comes on, but that's it.

Ohh, and my PSP is not modded, yet.

Thanks again.
<<

brentbizzle

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Post Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:32 pm

If its not working, then it's the memory stick. Try remaking it.
<<

Buttons6

Young Brewer

Post Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:20 pm

I've tried multiple methods, how do I create it? Can I do it in the PSP or do I have to do it in a card reader?
<<

staxx

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks received: 2 times

Post Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:49 pm

try this tutorial for your memory stick...
http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/708959

Just remember to format your stick so that you can start from scratch
Please do not act as a moderator! If you see something wrong, please report it to one of the moderators.
Click a name to report
Staxx Ace_012 Tbag
<<

Buttons6

Young Brewer

Post Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:45 am

That looks like an excelent guide, I will be sure to read it in more detail later.

For now, I think my battery has stopped working. I started the PSP with the wall adapter and put the Pandora in, it was about 55% charged. Anyways, a few minutes latter I have my magic stick ready, and the dang Pandora wont work in the PSP.

Guess I'll have to wait for the one I ordered in the mail. Hope it doesn't take too long.
<<

staxx

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks received: 2 times

Post Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:31 am

Did you unplug the charger, pop out your battery insert the mem stick then pop the battery back in?

what happens when this is done...
Please do not act as a moderator! If you see something wrong, please report it to one of the moderators.
Click a name to report
Staxx Ace_012 Tbag
<<

Buttons6

Young Brewer

Post Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:58 am

OK, now the Pandora is working again, it seems the PSP simply had to sit for awhile and lose all residual power left inside. This has happened to me twice now. You'll noticed another post I made indicating I had completely ruined my battery by the hard modding, however, that battery began working after some hours. Again last night, I think it's broken, this morning it's working again.

OK, NOW I have some new problems.

I put in the battery, the magic stick is accessed for a few seconds, then stops. At this point I press SQUARE as I was directed in the tutorials, and the access indicator starts flashing again for about 90 seconds (roughly).

Then the PSP turns off. Where is the menu I was supposed to see? Where does it ask me to install either the official or custom 3.71? (I am using the total-newbie-installer that everyone is probably familiar with.) I am never presented with any service menu or any options whatsoever. After the 90 seconds, the PSP turns off and will not start again using the Pandora.

So I put in the regular battery, and - ta da! - I'm using Version 3.71. But is it custom? I can't tell? When I look at the version information it says "Version 3.71".

So I guess the question now is, do I have a custom firmware installed?

There are two programs on the stick. Desperato Cemetary (lol, whatever) and a Pandora Battery Creator. I can click into both programs but both report they're unable to start after a few seconds.

Seems I've debricked/downgraded my PSP, but the CFW is not installed?
<<

brentbizzle

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Post Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:04 pm

If it ONLY says 3.71 and there is nothing after it then it isn't custom firmware, it's an official firmware. Sounds like maybe your battery might be messed up if its working, then not working, working again... as in if you cut the pin, maybe its periodically reconnecting when pressure it applied or something.
<<

Buttons6

Young Brewer

Post Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:19 pm

brentbizzle wrote:If it ONLY says 3.71 and there is nothing after it then it isn't custom firmware, it's an official firmware. Sounds like maybe your battery might be messed up if its working, then not working, working again... as in if you cut the pin, maybe its periodically reconnecting when pressure it applied or something.

Maybe.

Thing is. I had firmware 5.02 before I started all this. As far as I know the only way downgrade from that firmware is with a Pandora Battery. Thus, I obviously did create a Pandora since I was able to downgrade.

I didn't cut a pin on the battery, I cut a wire. I don't know if you care to distinguish the difference? The battery acts predictably, so I doubt it's something random like a lose connection.

UPDATE:

Well, I tried the process again, and I pressed X instead of SQUARE, and I have 3.71 M33 installed now? It appears that the only problem was that the menu didn't show up for some reason. No menu, but the program worked the same?

Huh.

Thanks for the help everyone.

I have installed custom firmware, and I also have the things I need to debrick my PSP, so I'll feel much more comfortable experimenting. Hopefully I can figure it out from here. Thanks again.
<<

brentbizzle

Brewology Moderator
Brewology Moderator

Post Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:23 pm

Although it worked, something's wrong because a menu should have come on screen to guide you. The magic memory stick program you used probably has install options, like mine. You can install that versions official firmware by holding one button, or install that version custom firmware by holding another.

Return to PSP Help