Getting a PSP What firmware do i need to homebrew

<<

theflash

Young Brewer

Thanks given: 0

Thanks received: 0

Post Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:56 am

Getting a PSP What firmware do i need to homebrew

So im looking to get a psp because i would love to play my old nes,snes and sega emulators. I have googled for this but i cant find a straight answer.

What firmware do i need to be able to run these homebrew apps and also do anyone have a good website that could show me how to homebrew my system?

Thanks
<<

Monkeyman5710

Brewer
Brewer

Post Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:29 am

well i have a 4.01 m33-2 thats the highest brand out and if you want the best emulators for those systems check the forums those tell you what the best are and then check our download area to find what your looking for
OH MY GOD.......i just jizzed in my pants
<<

theflash

Young Brewer

Post Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:05 am

Monkeyman5710 wrote:well i have a 4.01 m33-2 thats the highest brand out and if you want the best emulators for those systems check the forums those tell you what the best are and then check our download area to find what your looking for

So if i was to buy one that had say 2.0 i could upgrade to the 4.01? Or do i have to downgrade to 1.50 and then aply homebrew patches over 1.50? Also what is this pandora battery? Is it required?
<<

ace

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Thanks given: 10 times

Thanks received: 29 times

Post Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:37 am

Yes, if you bought a PSP with official 2.0 firmware on it, then you could upgrade it to the custom firmware 4.01M33-2. Most custom firmwares are denoted with either "cfw" infront of them or with something beside them like "OE" or "M33". The most popular altest custom firmwares are the M33 series, with 4.01 being the latest to my knowledge.

There are basically two methods. You can downgrade it to 1.50 then upgrade to a custom firmware from there, using a downgrader on a psp that is like 3.50 or below. Or you can use a pandora battery and magic memory stick which basically make your psp go into "repair" mode and install the custom frimware directly from the current firmware it is on. Most of the process for pandora's batteries are automated.

And finally, a pandora battery is a regular PSP battery (one of the older ones) that you can take apart, cut a trace on the little pcb inside the plastic battery casing, and it makes your psp go into a sorta repair mode. That is how Sony fixes PSP's when you send them into Sony to get them repaired. It is required because it is the only solution to upgrade a PSP that has a firmware newer than 3.50 :p Well any PSP at that matter.

Hope that long post answered your question.
It's not the religion that causes wars, it's the men who use religion as a means to control people that do.
They call me tater salad.
<<

theflash

Young Brewer

Post Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:14 am

ace_012 wrote:Yes, if you bought a PSP with official 2.0 firmware on it, then you could upgrade it to the custom firmware 4.01M33-2. Most custom firmwares are denoted with either "cfw" infront of them or with something beside them like "OE" or "M33". The most popular altest custom firmwares are the M33 series, with 4.01 being the latest to my knowledge.

There are basically two methods. You can downgrade it to 1.50 then upgrade to a custom firmware from there, using a downgrader on a psp that is like 3.50 or below. Or you can use a pandora battery and magic memory stick which basically make your psp go into "repair" mode and install the custom frimware directly from the current firmware it is on. Most of the process for pandora's batteries are automated.

And finally, a pandora battery is a regular PSP battery (one of the older ones) that you can take apart, cut a trace on the little pcb inside the plastic battery casing, and it makes your psp go into a sorta repair mode. That is how Sony fixes PSP's when you send them into Sony to get them repaired. It is required because it is the only solution to upgrade a PSP that has a firmware newer than 3.50 :p Well any PSP at that matter.

Hope that long post answered your question.

So do i even need to use a pandora battery? I am looking to get a 1.50 firmware psp on ebay but if i am unable to and i end up with a 4.01 or earlier should i downgrade to 1.50 and then upgrade to 4.01 m33-2? Also is it a must to have to have pandora battery to do this?

Thanks again for all the help. I dont know why i am confused about this. The wii hack was real easy.
<<

1/-0

Experienced Brewer
Experienced Brewer

Post Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:57 pm

Just buy a normal PSP (phat not slim) ethier make or buy a pandora battery (see my sig for a link) and then use the desperto cementario method to get to around 3.90 or such CFW, and from there you can get to 4.01 easy peasy, also wrong section, should be in help.
2.50 PSP<3.50<3.95<<<<3.90m33<4.01 m33<5.00 m33
Killzone Liberation name:Babamthegrunt add me
I'll rape you with my helpfullness
Need a pandora battery for cheap, willing to wait about 2 weeks to get it? click Here A comprehensive list of Apps for n00bs link

Return to PSP Hacks & Homebrew