question about PSP clock

<<

Tanner

Young Brewer

Thanks given: 0

Thanks received: 0

Post Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:36 pm

question about PSP clock

ok, I only have uo_SNES on my PSP and the framerate was bad so I upped the clock speed, it runs fine now. My question is, what are the side effects of doing this (Is it safe)? I ask only because the color changes to yellow then red as you go up in speed. Does this just affect the actual time settings on your PSP or can it cause overheating?
<<

t0pflite101

Young Brewer

Post Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:16 pm

There's two sides to this matter. One side says that upping the clock will just drain up the batter quicker, while the other says it could possibly harm your psp, since it's original setting is 222 mhz.

From experience, I advise not to overclock because while playing Super Mario All-Stars my game freezed, and that was just at 266mhz.
<<

Danopoly

Brewery Master
Brewery Master

Thanks received: 4 times

Post Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:29 pm

well, freezing could happen to anything. Its it might be due to the emulator, or some other issue. Who knows. But i use my Genesis and uo_SNES at 333. no heating, battery is fine, games does not freeze, and performance after playing games is still normal. By performance im talking bout music, videos, UMD games (etc)

But be warned and use at your own risk
<<

Tanner

Young Brewer

Post Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:31 pm

thanks thats what I was wondering.

so I'm still going to overclock it to play Chrono Trigger at the right speed.
<<

Danopoly

Brewery Master
Brewery Master

Post Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:34 pm

Tanner wrote:thanks thats what I was wondering.

so I'm still going to overclock it to play Chrono Trigger at the right speed.

lol, thats what ive been playing! Infact im playing it right now! at 333 for the past few days
<<

t0pflite101

Young Brewer

Post Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:40 pm

My game freezing my just be a coincidence, but I find it very suspicious that the one and only time my psp freezes is when I'm playing an emulated game at a clock speed higher than the set 222 mhz.
<<

Danopoly

Brewery Master
Brewery Master

Post Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:45 pm

t0pflite101 wrote:My game freezing my just be a coincidence, but I find it very suspicious that the one and only time my psp freezes is when I'm playing an emulated game at a clock speed higher than the set 222 mhz.

well, thats because your using an emulator that came out a few days or weeks ago. This is not even close to being finished. Its still in its beta stages right now. And remember, the PSP wasnt ment to run these kinda things, so expect a few freezes every now and then. But as for me, ive never got my PSP frozen once! :D
<<

Tanner

Young Brewer

Post Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:46 pm

for Chrono Trigger I have the clock set at 333 and frameskip set to 3, The framerate varies depending, but overall this works well.
<<

JustinWoodypond

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Thanks received: 1

Post Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:53 pm

Guys, the PSP is designed to go that speed. Future PSP games such as Gran Turismo 4 will be running at 333mhz. If we were overclocking we could go higher but that would screw up the PSP. The only downside is the battery life, which rumor says Sony is going to release a larger battery once games start clocking at 333. The battery is actually what limits what our PSP games can do because if our batteries could last longer we'd much more graphic heavy games. It would only be logical for Sony to release a larger battery.
The opposite of war isn't peace, it's creation!
<<

notjy

Experienced Brewer
Experienced Brewer

Post Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:24 pm

However justin, they may not be using the 333 Mhz clock correctly resulting in some bad thing happening. Games in the future using it will of course be programed by people knowing what they're really doing with the hardware.

Return to PSP Hacks & Homebrew