<<

light_alistor

Brewery Master
Brewery Master

Thanks given: 0

Thanks received: 2 times

Post Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:12 pm

Re: No one is talking about this?

well no one has really gotten past the whole syscall thing.... so I guess he's doing a good job?
"Life isn't about changing the world. Its about doing your best to leave it the way it is and respecting the wills of others. and believing in your own." - Big Boss
<<

AdventWolf

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Thanks given: 5 times

Thanks received: 10 times

Post Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:38 pm

What about this? http://www.taranfx.com/install-custom-firmware-on-ps3

"Few days back, failoverflow demoed that they had successfully installed custom Firmware on PS3, and achieve piracy of all sorts.

This PS3 Hack lets you Pirate PS3 games, Run Linux OS, Play PS1, PS2 Games on PS3."
<<

light_alistor

Brewery Master
Brewery Master

Post Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:48 pm

^ that has absolutely zero to do with Geohot's work.

Also wtf?

“This PS3 Hack lets you Pirate PS3 games, Run Linux OS, Play PS1, PS2 Games on PS3.”
“How to install Custom Firmware on PS3 for Pirated Games, OtherOS/Linux Support [PS3 Slim, Fat]”
“With the above point in mind you should know this CFW does not enable piracy. No piracy, no backups – straight homebrew.”

I cant make heads or tales of that article. It say it enables piracy but it cant be used for piracy.
"Life isn't about changing the world. Its about doing your best to leave it the way it is and respecting the wills of others. and believing in your own." - Big Boss
<<

crait

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Thanks given: 195 times

Thanks received: 50 times

Post Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:34 am

That article was written by someone from Fox News, obviously. You can't pirate games with the work that Geohotz has released. He took a lot of extra steps to prevent piracy and he's doing a good job. Now, Advent, you should realize that that article is BS when you see that it says it enables all PS3's to play PS2 games. It doesn't. And if anyone is going to pirate games, I think they're going to work the hardest to pirate/enable PS2 games, which I hope that they do.

Sony is suing GeoHotz because he is allowing people to actually use what they bought for what they want.
Sony is suing the person who uploaded the PlayStation Phone to YouTube for... no legal reason.
Sony is suing Clearwire because they think their logo looks like Sony Erickson's logo.

Sony is just raging right now.
<<

AdventWolf

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:12 am

Wow that is a terrible article, but I knew that people could lready play backups so I thought it was legit.
But: http://www.ps3news.com/forums/ps3-hacks ... 16836.html

Did any of you guys think people were already playing backups? It has been a while now.
<<

crait

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Post Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:14 pm

Signing an ISO-packed EBOOT can be played even on non-jailbroken systems. :P
<<

TheTyler0013

Brewery Master
Brewery Master

Location: I am a ninja, I pop in at certain times and locations.

Thanks given: 1

Thanks received: 9 times

Post Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:35 pm

I for one think Geo is great, I thank him for the exploit. I mean Hell I bought their product, If i want to run HB on it I should be able to. Whats the difference between modifying a car you bought and a ps3, xbox ect...??? Nothing. You paid your hard earned money for it. We should do what we want with it. Piracy is bad yes. But it will never go away.

I hope this turns out like the apple case.. where Geo Wins. 8)

For this message the author TheTyler0013 has received thanks:
crait
<<

BKFraiders7

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Location: On COD:BO2 iPhone User:5 Mac User: Macbook Pro Mtn Lion

Thanks given: 13 times

Thanks received: 31 times

Post Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:40 pm

Honestly, I am looking into buying an iPhone now. Not because of Apple (well I guess partly) but because of what GeoHot himself did back in the day to allow access to locked down files. If it wasnt for him, and jailbreaks, I wouldnt even consider.

Sorry Android, you had me at hello, and then left me with no more Vanilla phones for when I can upgrade (on Verizon at least). Youl have me back though, maybe when icecream or Jello comes out in a year or two. I just like knowing Il get updates for the life of my device too.
Watch me stream on MIXER or follow on Youtube at ChA0TiCxDR3AMS

Image Image
<<

AdventWolf

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:12 pm

crait wrote:Signing an ISO-packed EBOOT can be played even on non-jailbroken systems. :P

The whole point is that he released the keys needed to sign a program such as homebrew or game backups. Which are now being used for piracy.
<<

crait

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Post Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:18 pm

By your logic, it was Sony's fault for releasing games that can be potentially pirated.

TheTyler has the right idea. I bought it, I can do what I want. I don't think Sony blocking homebrew should be illegal. I don't think allowing us to do what we want should be illegal.

For this message the author crait has received thanks:
irishdragon85
<<

AdventWolf

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:15 pm

Lol I'm not arguing for anyone's case I'm just calling bull sh*t on Hotz, he states he doesn't like piracy, yet he unleashes the keys to let all pirates - pirate. He obviously doesn't care and is just stating he doesn't favor piracy so he doesn't get beat down in court.

What is not to get? He lets out the keys for everyone to pirate.

"By your logic, it was Sony's fault for releasing games that can be potentially pirated."
-This means absolutely nothing, Sony is not enabling piracy, Hotz is. It is a completely different assessment.

I for one can't wait to load homebrew on my PS3.
<<

light_alistor

Brewery Master
Brewery Master

Post Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:27 am

Still he didnt do it FOR piracy ya know? He released them for homebrew. Also it was merely a matter of time before SOMEONE released those keys. Team failoverflow gave out the method to find those keys.

It was A) release keys get fame and give people homebrew with the unfortunate (for him) side effect of enabling piracy.

Or B) Dont release keys and get.... nothing. zip.

My guess is he enjoys homebrew so much the inevitable piracy wasnt a big enough draw back.
<<

crait

Brewology Administrator
Brewology Administrator

Post Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:41 pm

But, Sony gains a lot more money if more people buy their systems, even without buying the games.
Consoles you can pirate on sale more consoles, but less games. There's a trade-off, but no real loss.
If GeoHotz enabled pirates, then so did everyone else involved. (The internet, forums, television reports of him hacking it, etc.)
<<

light_alistor

Brewery Master
Brewery Master

Post Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:21 pm

You also have to consider. buying/downloading.

I have several games pirated. Some I havent played more than 4 minutes. The question is would i have purchased those games if I didnt download them? and the answer is no. No I really wouldnt have. the games I love I buy and the rest is just me killing time.

So is sony losing my money? No.
<<

AdventWolf

Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:03 pm

Who here is arguing against piracy? I agree.
PreviousNext

Return to General Chat